Archive for Friday, December 30, 2011

Kansas attorney general’s office spends $476K defending new abortion laws

December 30, 2011

— The Kansas attorney general's office has paid outside lawyers $476,000 in defending abortion laws enacted this year.

The office says it has paid nearly $258,000 to a Wichita law firm involved in defending a provision of the state budget that denied federal family planning dollars for non-abortion services to Planned Parenthood. The group is challenging the provision in a federal lawsuit.

The attorney general's office has paid $138,000 to a Lawrence firm helping the state defend new health and safety regulations for abortion providers. Two Kansas City-area physicians are challenging the rules in both state and federal court.

The same firm also received $80,000 for work in a federal lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union against a law restricting private insurance coverage elective abortions.

Comments

brianjay1 2 years, 3 months ago

Or relatively cheap protection of little people

Agnostick 2 years, 3 months ago

Ah, so this is where all the jobs development money went... lawyers!

Same firm that works for Kochs?

toe 2 years, 3 months ago

This article is irrelevant. The AG's offices entire budge is used to defend all the laws of the State. The water fight, air pollution, murder, you name it. The real question is should some laws not be defended? Apparently drunk driving is in this category.

sunny 2 years, 3 months ago

Abortion is murder. Using my tax dollars for your contraceptive is stealing!

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 3 months ago

Where does the money come from for liberals to sue the state over abortion? Seems to me that the tax payer gets stuck with this also, and the cost in dollars undoubtedly exceeds the state costs.

thuja 2 years, 3 months ago

Just think of what real-world applications this money could have been put to.

Like helping kids that are here already, and need the help.

citizen1 2 years, 3 months ago

Vertigo I ask a simple question: The mother seeking the right to kill a child certainly also had the to cross he legs, doesn't she?

With over 50 million abortions performed since Roe, not all are rape, & with millions more born because their parents wanted them, health isn't the issue either.

Abortion used as contraception is the issue.

The mother has the right and the responsibility to act to prevent pregnancy when she is sexually active and not wanting children.

Ken Hunt 2 years, 3 months ago

Would it not make more sense to spend that money on children who are already here and are in need? Too many politicians try to out do each other proving who is more conservative. We have no one to blame but ourselves for either not voting or voting these angry middle aged men into office.

bootlegger 2 years, 3 months ago

Nothing but a scam...........just money for attorneys pockets; a sham...............

bootlegger 2 years, 3 months ago

citizen1 2 years, 3 months ago

So what is news worthy here. If those seeking to stop the rights of the unborn would stop suing those protecting the rights of the unborn then we would not have spent the money.

Steven Gaudreau 2 years, 3 months ago

I love how our gov. slashes school funding which is for actual, real living , breathing children but blows a 1/2 million on unborn fetus.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

The outcry over Morrison's scumbag presence went unnoticed by the loons. Not a greivance to be found then when he turned out to be a cheating adultering scum bag. Oh, I forgot, he's a Dem and supported Sebelius and Tiller's late term abortion agenda. Excuse me for mentioning it at all.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

Brownback's job program, create a bunch of oppressive and prescriptive laws, hire lawyers. Then the lawyers can hire more lawyers.

juma 2 years, 3 months ago

I am very confused. The AG is supposedly a lawyer, he has lawyers working on staff; yes? So why is tax dollars going for outside fees to support laws passed by a bunch of scum bags ( excuse me, I mean the legislature). Most of whom have law degrees. What is the old saying about 'thiefs support themselves' This is good money squandered. What about education? Not as important as strip-clubs.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

50,000,000 and counting dead babies say, "Thank you". A drop in the bucket to address a horrific 40 years of America's history.

JackMcKee 2 years, 3 months ago

What's the record of previous administrations on this? If the state is not competent to prosecute it's own laws maybe that's an impeachable offense.

lunacydetector 2 years, 3 months ago

if there was a test to determine if a baby would be straight or gay, and women were aborting their homosexual babies, i wonder if the left would find it acceptable or would they claim the baby was being discriminated against?

Phoenixman 2 years, 3 months ago

Breaking news out of Maryland, two doctors are being charged with murder in the botched abortions of several late term children. Sixteen late term fetuses (children) were found in a freezer at the clinic.

Wouldn’t it make the death penalty more humane if, instead of lethal injection, they stabbed scissors into the condemned’s skull and then suctioned out their brains?

Phoenixman 2 years, 3 months ago

If one child is saved by the new laws then we should ask that person in 18 years how much his life is worth.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh well. If some would take sexual responsability money could be saved.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't think the AG cares that much about the merit of the cases as much as the merit of having his name out there...so when Pat Roberts finally gives it up to go be a full time grandpa....just got to be ready. The day will come soon enough and he can go back to being Senator Schmidt.

observant 2 years, 3 months ago

No money out of AG or brownies pockets. The taxpayers have unlimited funds for protecting the AG and brownies personal beliefs.

situveux1 2 years, 3 months ago

Yea, and all that money spent by school districts to get more money from the state was just fine. I guess it's all in what you believe in.

Kim Murphree 2 years, 3 months ago

I thought we were supposed to be cutting costs...wasn't that the big reason everyone voted Brownback into office? Promoting business...and HE wants to cut spending...really? Can I have my tax dollars back? I'm pro-choice, and I really would rather my tax dollars go to supporting schools, health care, the elderly...anything but these dark ages laws.

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

God doesn't live by a budget.

Peter Macfarlane 2 years, 3 months ago

Talk about a waste of money to legislate morality.

irvan moore 2 years, 3 months ago

the queastion i have is who is the lawrence firm?

somebodynew 2 years, 3 months ago

OK, I know it is early and maybe I am reading this wrong - but does not the end of this say the same firm is taking money from both sides.??? I know there are different lawyers doing the cases, but I wouldn't want to spend my money that has partners on the other side of whatever case I was bringing.

And isn't it nice to know that the State isn't broke like they claim??? Gosh, being able to spend all that money for outside lawyers - paticularly since the State obviously has not hired enough of their own. /sarcasm off