Letters to the Editor

Holiday misery

December 23, 2011

To the editor:

A white Christmas means misery for puppy mill dogs.

While we may dream of a white Christmas, for dogs forced to live in puppy mills, snow means many cold nights alone in cramped cages outside. Puppy mills are inhumane, commercial breeding facilities where dogs typically live in deplorable conditions. Consumers who purchase puppies from pet stores or online during the holiday season are likely supporting these cruel puppy mills.

Recent investigations by the Humane Society of the United States demonstrate the need for increased consumer awareness and legislation to regulate this industry. Earlier this month, HSUS researchers found that the online mega-retailer, Purebred Breeders LLC., is actively supporting puppy mills, even while telling unsuspecting customers that the dogs come only from responsible dog breeders. The company owns about 800 puppy-selling websites that sell about 20,000 puppies every year, using deceptive sales tactics.

In November, HSUS released the results of a hidden-camera investigation which showed that more than 100 New York pet stores are obtaining puppies from puppy mills, including some of the worst facilities in the United States.

These investigations demonstrate why lawmakers need to act now to regulate this industry and demonstrate why people should adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue or buy from a responsible breeder this holiday season. When you buy a dog online or from a pet store, you just do not know what you are going to get, and you are likely supporting a cruel puppy mill.

Comments

Phoenixman 2 years, 3 months ago

I bought my dog from a Missouri puppy mill. He had no problems, attached easily to the kids, the cost was reasonable, and we are all happy. Puppy mills are a small problem, the real problem is feral cats. Stray cats should be considered vermin and open season for sport shooting. They are decimating the song bird populations in North America.

gr 2 years, 3 months ago

What's a "puppy mill"? Is it anyone who raises dogs or just certain ones?
I think there's some stereotyping going on.

deathpenaltyliberal 2 years, 3 months ago

"BuddysParent (anonymous) says..."

...something hateful. You should be ashamed of yourself.

BuddysParent 2 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of misery: I personally think Midge should be put down, humanely of course. And everyone should get some education when it comes to the HSUS.

Lynn731 2 years, 3 months ago

I do not support HSUS for various reasons. I do, however, support regulation of puppy mills. A stricter law should be passed to support animals not taken care of properly, amending the existing cruelty to animals statute to include regulation and inspection of puppy mills. Midge could put her gun back on and help do the inspections.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree too. Even properly supervised and operated, being a "for sale" puppy can be traumatic. We got our last addition from a very good source (a vet bred the dogs) and sold them through Land of Paws---they all were in nice clean glass cages with just one "roommate". Even at that, my little sweetheart slept on my lap for 3 hours the night my wife brought him home and we've been attached ever since. He was just needing a warm lap and love. People running these awful mills should do time and see how it feels. Makes me sick.

grammaddy 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Midge! Keep doing what you do.