Archive for Monday, December 19, 2011

Pony given new lease on life

Coco, a Shetland pony, scampers on a lead with Steve Gannaway of Stepping Stone Ranch in Baldwin City. Coco was rescued from a farm after being neglected for years by her previous owner. Now the horse is ready for adoption.

December 19, 2011

When the Stepping Stone Ranch in Baldwin City agreed to foster Coco, a Shetland pony, for the Lawrence Humane Society, the animal’s hooves were so long and grotesquely curled that she couldn’t walk.

Coco the pony

Coco the pony has a new lease on life and is ready for adoption. Enlarge video

Before Coco, a Shetland pony, was rescued by Stepping Stone Ranch, her overgrown hooves prevented the horse from walking properly.

“It was ungodly,” said Steve Gannaway, who operates the ranch with his wife, Vera. The couple added Coco to their ranch in April, after the pony was removed from her Eudora home because of severe neglect.

Coco’s hooves hadn’t been trimmed for more than four years, though it’s supposed to be done every six weeks. The curled hooves caused severe problems with the pony’s bones.

But just in time to cross “pony” off a Christmas wish list, Coco is fully rehabilitated and ready for adoption.

“She’s ready to go,” said Kayse Aschenbrenner, director of animal welfare at the Lawrence Humane Society.

Aschenbrenner received the animal neglect call in April, after a concerned resident called in the complaint. Because of the severity of Coco’s condition, Aschenbrenner, with police assistance, confiscated Coco, whom they estimate to be about 13 years old.

Coco’s previous owner, John Steffen, 44, of Eudora, pleaded no contest in November to one misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty. Steffen was sentenced to one year of unsupervised probation and ordered to pay $4,400 to the state for the cost of caring for Coco. Steffen is also not allowed to own any other horses while he’s on probation.

While it’s taken months of veterinary care and frequent hoof trimmings, Coco is healthy, running around with about two dozen other horses on Gannaway’s ranch.

Standing about 40 inches tall, Coco is easily the smallest at the ranch but holds her own, Gannaway said.

Coco gets along well with the other horses and would make a good companion for another horse out in the pasture, he said.

The pony’s feisty personality has grown on the Gannaways, and she’s ready for a permanent placement.

“I’d like to see her go to a good family,” Gannaway said.

Those interested in adopting Coco can call the Lawrence Humane Society at 785-843-6835. Donations to help pay for Coco’s care can be made online at lawrencehumane.org.

Comments

bobbie1207 3 years, 5 months ago

The proper term is "trimming" of the hooves, not shaving.

shaunepec 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the heads up. I am a city boy, from Detroit. Not even sure I've even seen a pony before this story....

Shaun LJW

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

did you take a midnight train goin' anywhere?

shaunepec 3 years, 5 months ago

Every time I write that I'm from Detroit, the Journey song pops in my end. Whenever I tell people in Michigan I live in Kansas, they ask me if I found Oz yet.

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

Just be glad you didn't have to talk about her teeth if she had to have them "floated".

guess_again 3 years, 5 months ago

....yet there is never a lack of pink unicorns and magic wands in Lawrence.....

KU_cynic 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Steve and Vera for caring for Coco!

MyOpinionCounts 3 years, 5 months ago

I second the kudos to the Gannaways. Thank you for your support of this little gal!

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

IrishRacer 3 years, 5 months ago

Why would you even think to bring up such an awful thing. This pony has been through a lot and so have the people that have helped rehabilitate her. You really need to find some kindness in your heart, if you have one.

workinghard 3 years, 5 months ago

You must be new to this site. Don't take it seriously.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

I find IrishRacer's remark timely. No reason to act like snarky mean, is the tone this comment forum has to embrace. somedude20 has a choice, I thought it was disrespectful of the the hard work it must of taken to bring Coco back to health. And I am someone who thinks horse meat would be a healthy alternative.

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

cook it up and slap it on the plate...yum yum. Irish and pace glad I could help you guys find another thing to be upset about because as we all know that horse licorice is a problem in today's society

IrishRacer 3 years, 5 months ago

@Workinghard. I get the right to take it seriously considering I have been one of the people that has been helping train Coco since her rehabiliation at our barn, Stepping Stone Ranch.

@Somdude20. Well I'm glad that you're having fun ticking people off. I mean seriously, this is a story about a pony that was abused and is being brought back to a healthly lifestyle and you and you want to talk about how she would be good to eat. Well I'm sure you would make a lovely meal too. Coco has come such a long way since arriving at SSR and you have no right to judge thanks.