Archive for Saturday, December 17, 2011

17 Westar customers lose power after squirrel interferes with equipment

December 17, 2011, 5:01 p.m. Updated December 17, 2011, 5:29 p.m.

At least 17 Lawrence Westar Energy customers were without power from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, confirmed Erin La Row, a spokeswoman for the company.

La Row said the outage was caused by a squirrel getting into equipment but that Westar didn't know exactly how or where.

Westar outage map as of about 5 p.m. Saturday.

Westar outage map as of about 5 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

jackpot 2 years, 9 months ago

No one out now on the website.

Scruggsy 2 years, 9 months ago

"Westar didn't know exactly how or where."

Did he leave a note?

Grump 2 years, 9 months ago

In other news, moles are digging tunnels through my front yard.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 9 months ago

but its so difficult to train them to aim so well!

localman22 2 years, 9 months ago

sorry to tell everyone the squirrel did not survive it got up on my transformer behind my house, it was well done. anyone want it

bearded_gnome 2 years, 9 months ago

Tastes like chicken then?

best served with Soy and herbs.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 9 months ago

---if they don't know where this happened or how this interloper got in, then how do they even know if it was a squirrel?

for all they know, it might've been Bigfoot, a giant worm, a mutant ant (like in the movie, or the grassy knoll gunman!

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 9 months ago

Two hours just to get a lineman to flip a breaker switch? Did they have to drive in from West Jesus?

More of that excellent Westar customer service to go with their third-world infrastructure.

"Westar -- We'll get to it when we feel like it."

localman22 2 years, 9 months ago

yes it took about two hours because the lineman had to go around the neighborhoods and look for any problems. he stopped at my house because he saw my power pole was burnt and we found the squirrel.

willie_wildcat 2 years, 9 months ago

Mmmmm....Extra crispy squirrel.......I have to agree with bearded_gnome: A little flavoring will compliment quite nicely ;)

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 9 months ago

It took over two hours for the lineman just to get there. I live in the area, too. I reported it initially, then I called again after the power had been out for two hours. I was told a lineman was "on his way." There were obviously no other power outages going on, or they surely would have been reported here, so a two-hour delay in dispatching a lineman simply shows the low regard Westar has for its customers. Like I said, they will get to it when they feel like it.

redfred 2 years, 9 months ago

It's Saturday. The lineman had to drive in from home. Get his truck and then drive to the outage location. 2 hours is not bad. But then this is the age of instant gratification.

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 9 months ago

That Saturday argument might hold water if Westar's response time were any better during the week, but it is not. It is a minimum of two to three hours no matter when the outage occurs.

And where does one have to be in Lawrence that it takes two hours to get anywhere?

I would not be surprised if Westar were dispatching its linemen from Topeka, having decided that a two to three hour response time is all that Lawrence residents deserve.

And it is not a question of instant gratification. It is a question of wanting the power company to provide reliable power and reasonable customer service. It is doing neither. Look at the increase in the number of wide-area power outages during the summer. They are obviously more focused on dividends and executive salaries than they are on service.

"Westar -- If you don't like it, buy your electricity somewhere else."