Archive for Friday, December 16, 2011

Lawrence man, 18, given probation term for sexual encounter with 14-year-old girl

December 16, 2011

A Douglas County judge sentenced an 18-year-old Lawrence man Friday to serve 18 months on probation for having a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl last May.

Morgan Rego had pleaded no contest in October to one count of having unlawful voluntary sexual relations with a child between the ages of 14 and 16. District Judge Kay Huff also ordered Rego to obtain a comprehensive mental-health evaluation and follow all recommendations. Rego qualified for probation based on the state’s sentencing guidelines. Prosecutors said the girl was 14 at the time of the incident in Lawrence.

At the October plea hearing, Huff and defense attorney Greg Robinson said because the age difference between Rego and the girl was less than four years he won’t be required to register as a sex offender.

Comments

sad_lawrencian 3 years, 4 months ago

"Rego...won’t be required to register as a sex offender."

I completely agree.

"Huff also ordered Rego to obtain a comprehensive mental health evaluation and follow all recommendations."

Also agree.

LadyWolf 3 years, 4 months ago

I, too, agree with this finding. Times have changed a lot and there are more sick individuals out there than I can even believe. Funny thing is, I am totally thankful that my dad (at age 26) married a lovely, young (ALMOST 16 years old) lady. I wouldn't be here enjoying life otherwise. They stayed together in a pretty happy life until my father passed away. I am pretty sure he worshipped the ground she walked on, as the old saying goes. My mom never remarried. I'm quite sure she knew how wonderful my dad was also. That was a different time...

deec 3 years, 4 months ago

High school junior fools around with his freshman girlfriend. In May, probably a prom date.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, he would be a senior, and she wouldn't be in high school yet.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

According to another poster below, she was in junior high school.

DRsmith 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't agree. That is just gross. This isn't the old west.

ebyrdstarr 3 years, 4 months ago

2nd time what? This article only mentions one offense.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

C'mon. This sounds like a senior and a freshman... happens all the time. This sounds like there is an angry father involved. I am glad he doesn't have to register as a sex offender, but this will still be on his record and will probably make it difficult for him to get a job.

dcap 3 years, 4 months ago

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

He was a senior in HS when it happened... and yes I would be upset at both of them, but I would blame her as much as I would him, and I certainly wouldn't ruin his life. Hell, I dated an 18 year old when I was 26 which, while legal, is probably worse than a Senior/Freshman encounter.

Beth Bird 3 years, 4 months ago

Not true - I was a freshman in high school at 14.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

That would be unusual.

Most people are 15 when they're freshmen.

ebyrdstarr 3 years, 4 months ago

Where did you go to high school? Most people I knew were 14 as freshman. I was. We turned 15 throughout that school year. Those of us with summer or late spring birthdays were 14 for the entire school year.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 4 months ago

I was 13 and turned 14 in my freshman year in hs. I also dated a young man in the service when I was 16. Fortunately, my father had no problem with that.

Jayhawk1958 3 years, 4 months ago

Riduculous. I was 20 and dated a girl i thought was 17. But she was only 15 and lied to me. Fortunetly everything turned out fine.

Phoenix_Rising 3 years, 4 months ago

The charge on Morgan is complete bull. I personally know him and know he's torn up about this charge that has been placed upon him. The sentence of 18 months of probation is incorrect; he was sentenced with 16 months and also has to pay a substantial amount of money in the next 60 days. On top of this girl almost ruining his entire life, she initially lied about her age and then and ran home to tell her mother about what happened. I know for a fact that there are so many kids in high school having sex while underage and no one cares. Unfortunately, he got caught with it and received a felony charge which is a little too harsh in my opinion.

KU2014 3 years, 4 months ago

There's enough pregnancies in high schools to charge quite a few juniors and seniors with the same charge but do they? No. This whole charge is bull. He does not deserve what he's being put through.

DRsmith 3 years, 4 months ago

TS, tell you friend there are certain responsibilities that come with being 18. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

kchuskerfan 3 years, 4 months ago

The girl was 8th grade. Boy went to the jr high way across town and did things just off school property in a car on a side street. He knew she was an 8th grader. Go ahead and rationalize it how you want to but it seems like the actions of a preditor. Not the first time combing the jr high for girls either. Both kids have likely issue's to address and both will be carrying it with them, but I am amazed that people think 17 to 13 or 18 to 14 is so easily explained away. Girl ruined his life? Honestly, who is more likely to be scarred for life here? Just proves to me that this fell short somewhere. 8th grade 13/14 (when happened vs now) are not prepared and this kid knew full well what her age was. Now you can insert your ridiculous "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed" comments.

dcap 3 years, 4 months ago

18 is an adult. Your old enough to vote or join the army. 14 years old is still just a kid. He is lucky that he is not in prison, or a registered sex offender.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

And here is someone forgetting when they were a senior in high school.....

conservative 3 years, 4 months ago

Nope he's probably remembering just fine. Age of consent in KS is 16 not 14. Has been that way for way longer than either of them were alive. If you are within 2 years of the under 18 individual's age there are no charges. The girl was below the age of consent and was more than 2 years younger than the man. He is very lucky probation is all that he was hit with.

ebyrdstarr 3 years, 4 months ago

Conservative, that's not correct. The law of unlawful voluntary relations applies when the sexual acts involve someone between the ages of 14 and 16 and the other partner is less than 4 years older. He is not lucky he got probation. He falls within the Romeo and Juliet provision and was sentenced accordingly.

dcap 3 years, 4 months ago

Not at all. I remember quite clearly being a senior in high school, and how absolutely wrong it is for an 18 year old adult to have sex with a 14 year old, 8th grade, kid.

taucetiman 3 years, 4 months ago

He wont have to registered as a sex offender but will forever have his name in this article which anyone in the future can Google,

Kookamooka 3 years, 4 months ago

There is a 7 year age diff between me and my significant.

I don't think he's crazy. I think she must have been a very mature looking, attractive 14 year old and he was a Senior in high school. I don't get why this is some sort of "crazy" action. Normal teenage hormones, I'd say. I can't tell the ages of young girls these days. They wear make up and sexy clothes so early. It's deceiving and I blame the Kardashians!

DRsmith 3 years, 4 months ago

Kook, if you don't get it then you are just as sick as him. There is a law against this, that is why he finds himself in trouble. After 18, to each there own. I know lots of couple with huge spreads in age but all of them were after 18. So by your logic it would be cool for a 21 year old to date a 14 year old?

dcap 3 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like your blaming the victim of a sex crime. That is despicable.

dcap 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow. That is totally defamatory. If you know about other people having sex with this person who are 18 then you should go to the authorities.

mdab1609 3 years, 4 months ago

Next time you go on a public forum and post libelous statements about a 14 year girl you might not want to back up those statements with "all I know is what I hear."

Doesn't come across very reliable.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 4 months ago

In some Middle Eastern countries, she'd be stoned to death and that would be the end of the matter. As far as age goes, she could be married at the age of 8, and in some countries 1 year old, and that would be just fine in some Middle Eastern countries.

For him, no charges, because that's just what's expected of men.

Remember, we're a nation that stands for freedom of religion. Except for when it comes to sexual matters. Then, our prudish Jewish and Christian values start to show.

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

send the bad guy to Penn State....there is someone up there to take care of him...

momofk 3 years, 4 months ago

My husband and I are 5 years apart, have been together for 11 years and married for 6 years. He was 21 & I was 16 when we started dating. He wasn't and isn't a "bad" person.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

I like you post and agree that people like dcap must not have been normal teenagers. The only thing I have a problem with is that the courts should not have been involved with this voluntary high school sexual encounter.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure that a 14 year old girl is "well into/past" puberty.

Many girls get their periods at or around age 13, don't they? So, she'd be barely into puberty at 14.

Also, this view tends to seem like blaming the younger girl for the actions of the older boy/man, which is a bit unpleasant.

Men/boys need to be more responsible for their actions, and act accordingly, not using the old "she was asking for it" line.

RaynRavyn 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh, it is VERY possible. At 14, I wore a D cup. Not the usual situation, but it does happen. I was also in high school... And no, I'm not "blaming" any one, for any thing. I am still close enough to my teenage years I remember clearly how they happened, and this article could have been any one of my classmates or myself, on any given Friday or Saturday night. I am very happily nearing my 10 year anniversary with the man (now, lol) I was dating all the way through high school, starting when I was 13 and he was 18. Nothing in this makes either of the parties "bad" people.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

According to a quick internet search, girls reach womanhood anywhere from about 12-18, thus a fairly large number of them will not be fully developed at age 14.

I agree that there is an ongoing sexualization of girls at younger ages, which is disturbing.

Your use of the word "targeting" is interesting, in this context. And, if other posters are correct, he went to the junior high school to meet her - that would mean he was aware of her age.

And, there is a disturbing strain in our society that continues to hold men somehow victim of female sexuality, as if they're incapable of making decisions if anybody wants to have sex with them.

That doesn't do anybody any good, in my view.

By the way, if he was 18 and she was 14, he just barely escaped being labeled an offender - he must have been a fraction less than 4 years older than she.

Sigmund 3 years, 4 months ago

21-3522. Unlawful voluntary sexual relations. (a) Unlawful voluntary sexual relations is engaging in voluntary: (1) Sexual intercourse; (2) sodomy; or (3) lewd fondling or touching with a child who is 14 years of age but less than 16 years of age and the offender is less than 19 years of age and less than four years of age older than the child and the child and the offender are the only parties involved and are members of the opposite sex.

(b) (1) Unlawful voluntary sexual relations as provided in subsection (a)(1) is a severity level 8, person felony. (2) Unlawful voluntary sexual relations as provided in subsection (a)(2) is a severity level 9, person felony. (3) Unlawful voluntary sexual relations as provided in subsection (a)(3) is a severity level 10, person felony. http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_035_0000_article/021_035_0022_section/021_035_0022_k/

kchuskerfan 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow. Seriously? A senior or Junior combing the Jr High for a girl to have sex with? He drove to the Jr High last May, parked on a side street just off school grounds and did it in the car. I'm trying to get to the "relatively innocent" part and where I'm naive? Cake_Boss, back your buddy, I get it. All around great guy. But if you are combing the jr high for a girl, you are lame, sick, pathetic at 17/18 years old. It sure isn't for love interest. Momofk, This isn't the 21 and 16 rare love story that worked out. At 16 you were likely considered a big deal to be with the older man. When I was in college, if a jr/sr in College was going home to see his sophomore in high school girlfriend he was not normal. Glad it worked, not trying to insult you. Clearly you waited 5 years to get married, were 21 before you got married, hopefully finished college, etc. But c'mon. the 21 year old that needs to go back to high school for a date is an exception and usually does not work out as your situation did and having to go to a sophomore is even worse. Still, agree not unheard of and not necessarily a perversion of things. But using your age differential is to say it's ok for the college sophomore at 19 to date the 13 yr old 7th/8th grader. I don't care if there are "fast" 14 year olds nor will I debate the laws other than to say I agree a 14 yr old needs protection from predatory 18 year olds. If you want to argue age 16 doesn't need it. That's not this discussion anyway. Do you think a 14 yr old needs it? Absolutely, the brain of the average 18 yr old male is covered by a zipper. Pywacket, I agree that there are young "ladies" giving it away, having sex parties, shaving their bodies everywhere, dressing provocatively, sexting, talking the talk, etc. There are parents ok with it and while I don't agree, If that's how they choose to parent.. Their right. But 18 yr olds do not belong around the jr high's trying to find one. There's plenty at the high school level it would seem. If a boy can't get what he wants at high school level, I don't think it's ok to go to the Jr High to placate their Hot to Trot". The courts acted accordingly. Not saying he got off at all. However, he didn't get a bad deal as the one person that was singled out for what they all were doing. Holzworth....Comparing the morality of Middle Eastern cultures to ours? In that case, the women are cattle and have no opinion anyway, right? Feel free to go there if you feel their morals and ethics are more to your liking. But be careful about sharing your opinion so freely on things when you get there. Your ignorance or agenda may get you killed over there.

listener 3 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps I am missing something, but can someone please show me where it says the "sexual encounter" was consentual? Are you all just assuming this? It's possible he pled to a lesser charge to get probation. I certainly don't know the situation, and won't pretend to, but think many here seem to be. I will say that clearly, the authorities who did have complete information determined the 14yo WAS a victim and decided to charge him.....

listener 3 years, 4 months ago