Archive for Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bill Self: Tyshawn Taylor criticisms unfair

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor signals to the bench after hitting a three-pointer against South Florida during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

December 14, 2011

Kansas coach Bill Self believes guard Tyshawn Taylor is taking more criticism this season than is warranted.

“I can do that probably more so than anybody, because he’s the point guard and he’s the quarterback and he’s more responsible than anything,” Self said during his Hawk Talk radio show on Monday. “But the bottom line is, instead of seeing sometimes what he doesn’t do, I think we should look at what he does do. Because if you look at us, we don’t beat Long Beach State if he doesn’t play. And we certainly don’t beat Ohio State if he doesn’t play.”

Playing with a torn meniscus in his right knee, Taylor scored 12 points with four assists and five turnovers in 34 minutes against LBSU on Dec. 6.

Against Ohio State, Taylor contributed nine points to go with a career-high 13 assists in 35 minutes. He also had seven turnovers.

“He can do so many things to get in the paint to force help to get us easy baskets that when he doesn’t make some plays, we look at the negatives as opposed to all the positive things that he does,” Self said. “He’s got to tighten his game up. We’ve talked about it. We’re going to watch a lot more tape. He’s got a chance to watch a lot of tape right now and (we can) try to help him with that.

“But gosh, does he have a lot of talent. I mean, that is one talented kid that’s a phenomenal athlete.”

Self has his own theories about why Taylor is criticized more than others. For one, the guard has been at Kansas a long time. He’s also had some off-the-court incidents in the past.

Taylor had surgery to repair the torn meniscus Sunday. The senior could miss up to three weeks depending on his recovery time, though Self said it’s possible Taylor could be back as soon as KU’s game Monday against Davidson.

“Nobody anywhere can question how much it means to him to be out there and how much he wants to play and wants to win,” Self said, “because there’s a lot of people that would say, ‘No, no, no, go ahead and do this (surgery),’ and, ‘I don’t want to risk anything.’ Not that he was risking anything from a medical deal, but he put it in his rear-view mirror and never looked at it again.”

Self said Taylor didn’t use his injury as an excuse.

“That’s what toughness is — if you know something’s going on, and you’re able to put it in your rear-view mirror and not even think about it,” Self said. “He did that, and of course, because of that, we had a pretty good week.”

Taylor’s effort Saturday came against one of the top point guards in the country.

Ohio State sophomore Aaron Craft posted 11 points, six assists, five rebounds and two steals to go with three turnovers in his team’s 78-67 loss to Kansas.

“Here’s what I think, and I could be wrong,” Self said. “I think that Craft is the best defensive guard that we’ll see all year. I think he’s the best true point guard we’ll see all year. I think he’s as tough as any guard we’ll see all year. I think he’s as smart as any guard that we’ll see all year. And I think Tyshawn Taylor is just as good.

“So that’s how I feel about Craft, that he’s terrific, but I think Tyshawn is too. He’s just got to make some better decisions.”

Robinson wins award

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson was selected as the Oscar Robertson national player of the week by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

As the Big 12 conference player of the week, Robinson was nominated for the weekly award, which is chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors. The 6-foot-10 Robinson is the first recipient of the award this season.

Robinson, a junior from Washington, D.C., averaged 23.5 points and nine rebounds in victories last week over Long Beach State and Ohio State.

Holiday Clinic

The 2011 KU men’s basketball Holiday Clinic will be from 1-3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27, at Allen Fieldhouse for boys and girls in second through sixth grades.

The annual clinic is $85 and will include instruction, a camp T-shirt, a Junior Jayhawk Basketball, a 2011-12 KU basketball team picture and one GA ticket to KU’s Dec. 29 home game against Howard. There also will be an autograph session afterward.

For more information or to register for the camp, go to billselfbasketballcamp.com.

Comments

hawkfan30 3 years, 8 months ago

And we see what we want to see. Stop watching games expecting TT to screw up or only seeing the negative.

onceajhawkalwaysajhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree that Craft is what a pt. guard should be: He's all over the court on defense ( Not TT) He doesn't let his guy drive on him (Not TT) He's moving all the time on offense when he doesn't have the ball (Not TT) He takes care of the ball when he has it (yeah...Not TT) TT is a talented athlete...But he is very lazy when he doesn't have the ball. I'm glad he'll be watching a lit of tape....The tape doesn't lie!

hawkfan30 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm assuming you are strictly talking about the OSU game in Tyshawn not being all over the court defensively, I can recall multiple times when Ty hustled back to the other end to stop a fast break etc, the other things is OSU runs a different defensive scheme than KU. Which allows Craft to be "all over". Plus we don't want TT taking unnecessary risk and getting into foul trouble he's too valuable to the team. Whether or not you agree with that statement is up to you but I'm pretty sure HCBS has said it once or twice this year. Just like we need T-Rob, Jeff and EJ to stay out of foul trouble.

I believe Craft has been beat off the dribble multiple times this year and though HCBS and TT will never say it TT's lateral movement & explosiveness were diminished for Long Beach and OSU games because of the injury. (remember when T-Rob tore his) took him 2-3 games to get back to himself.

TT had 13 assists (not Craft) TT had 3 fouls (not Craft he fouled out) TT played through pain (not Craft) TT shoots 57% from 3 this season (not Craft 33%)

You can focus on the turnovers and say TT doesn't help the team but look at the overall contribution he helps more than he hurts. Turnovers are easy to correct.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 8 months ago

Get over it. John Stockton is not on our team. Neither is Bob Cousy. (gawd I'm dating myself). Tyshawn is the best point guard on our team, according to Coach Self. That's good enough for me.

2002 3 years, 8 months ago

This is the perfect example of why KU has never had a better basketball coach than Bill Self. He is 100% correct about Taylor and as a great coach he sees the criticism by fans that know little about basketball (pigballin, onceajay) and is standing up for his player.

Mandie Eutsler 3 years, 8 months ago

Hang in there TT! You're a Jayhawk, part of the family and we are rooting for you! All criticism aside we really do appreciate all the hard work and have fun watching you play the game... RCJH!!!

Bud Stagg 3 years, 8 months ago

what? he's not perfect? I agree, he frustrates the crap out of me, but I have to agree with Bill. He is the best we have and I think he can do better. Bill''s trying not to crush his drive and teach him to be a little more under control. Sitting him gains us nothing.

jonas_opines 3 years, 8 months ago

Unfortunately a move halfway across the country and a lack of cable have kept me from watching any of the games this year so far :( , but what I've always seen of Taylor, and have noticed that a lot of others don't see, is that for every stupid thing he does, he also tends to do at least one pretty brilliant thing. Problems is that 1/1 is not a fantastic percentage for a point guard (and Taylor is just a shooting guard who is called on to be a point guard in the first place), but he has, over the years, made some steps at changing that percentage to 1.3/1 or 1/5/1 from time to time. If he could ever get it up to 2/1, we'd be in great shape, but I'm not entirely sure that's not too much to ask.

But whatever, we're still competitive, we will still be competitive. We probably don't have a great shot at winning it all, but we have a good shot at another repeat B12 championship, as we always do. And even if we don't win that, the fact that's held as a detriment, losing for the first time in 6-7 years, that speaks a great deal about the staying power of the Jayhawk.

rgh 3 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn (Turnover) Taylor has been doing this for 3+ years now not just Long Beach and Ohio State. He's a senior for gosh sakes and I've seen better passers in high school, NAIA, D-II, and D-III. The kid from Ohio State only had 3 turnover and Tyshawn had 3 very early. He had 13 (I believe) assists but how many of those came off easy passes to Elijia, Conner, and Travis for 3 point shots. My concern is that come crunch time he won't be smart enough to keep us out of trouble when we need him most. Please prove me wrong and let's win the whole thing again!

Gregory Newman 3 years, 8 months ago

Comin coach please!!! You're the problem teach him the mid-range game so he will stop forcing his way going to the hoop throwing up those oh-please-go-in-what-was-that-shot. You got a noose around Releford he is not even looking for his shot. With his speed whenever he decides to punch it you could see some blow-by slams or mid-range jumpers the same with EJ. Thats why you are losing recruits to Calipari. This is a shame the fastest group of guards in the nation rollin with a bit , harness and saddle. Cut em loose that opens up the bigs for a National Championship. That 08 team was so stacked you can't recall how you won it. Somebody watch that 88 champ video. Thats basketball and these guys are faster and shoot better. Plus Teahan ain't slow he's just tentative

woodscolt 3 years, 8 months ago

This article is probably more for TT than the public. Self (the psychologist) knows that we don't have anything better than Taylor and that he needs to keep his confidence up. Given that, Self knows we are going to either sink or swim on Taylors back.Taylor has a tremendous upside and when he cuts back on the mistakes the hawks will be left with as good a guard as there is in the country. Add the best power forward to that and Self knows this team can compete with anyone in the country. That spells a deep run into the tourney and who knows from there.