Commissioners will consider a site plan and a rezoning request to allow for apartment development on 15 acres at 4100 W. 24th Place, near Clinton Parkway and Crossgate Drive.
The property already is zoned for apartments, but a development group led by Lawrence businessman Tim Stultz is seeking zoning that will allow for greater density. The project would add 136 one-bedroom apartments that would be in addition to the 224 apartments that already exist on part of the site. Several neighbors have opposed the project, saying the area already is too densely developed with apartments. A valid protest petition has been filed, meaning the four out of the five city commissioners will have to support the project in order for it to move forward. Commissioners have heard the plan once before but did not take action.
• Presentation of plaque for Lawrence being designated as a Runner Friendly community.
• Presentation from John Tacha concerning Lawrence Community Shelter.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses.
• Approve appointments.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Approve a $7,000 increase — for a total of $18,988 — to a contract with Geotechnology Inc. for concrete specification verification testing.
b. Approve purchase of 220 handheld and 200 mobile radios from TFMCComm Inc. for up to $1.85 million through a cooperative bid on the State of Kansas Equipment Purchase Contract.
• Adopt on second and final reading an ordinance rezoning about 3.3 acres from RSO (Single-Dwelling Residential-Office) & CS (Strip Commercial) to CS (Strip Commercial), at 2600 Redbud Lane, 2620 Iowa, 2626 Iowa, and 2032 W. 27th St.
• Adopt resolutions that:
a. Declare city’s boundaries.
b. Conditionally approve an application for low income housing tax credits from the state for a proposed senior housing development at 25th Street and O’Connell Road.
• Receive Census 2010 analysis, authorize staff to proceed with Census Count Question Resolution appeal process and authorize mayor to execute related documents.
• Receive $500,000 in Geometric Improvement Funding from KDOT for improvements at 23rd and Iowa streets, and authorize the distribution of Request for Qualifications for design of the intersection.
• Authorize staff to request proposals for architectural services for the design and fundraising services for the Lawrence Activity and Wellness Center.
• Approve renewal of excess workers compensation coverage with Safety National for 2012 for an estimated premium of $40,779.
• Receive a letter from Stuart Boley requesting the city to acquire a vacant lot in the 1500 Block of 21st Terrace for a pocket park; refer to staff for a recommendation.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Aaron Blosser and Bonnie Burgess, 1226 Conn.
• City manager’s report.
• Consider these items related to 4100 W. 24th St.:
a. Consider rezoning about 15 acres from RM15 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to RM24 (Multi-Dwelling Residential).
b. Consider a site plan for Remington Square Apartments.
• Receive final report from the Peak Oil Task Force.
• Review a zoning compliance matter related to the use of 1146 Haskell Ave. and provide direction to staff as appropriate.