• Kain Anderson, Free State senior — raced to second place at Class 6A state championship, posting a 15:55.1 at Rim Rock Farm.
• Dawson Colglazier, Santa Fe Trail junior — won three meets this year, dropped his personal record by 42 seconds and took eighth at 4A state meet.
• Gavin Fischer, Lawrence junior — after finishing 10th at Sunflower League meet, ran a season-best 16:18 to take seventh at regional.
• Ethan Hartzell, Baldwin sophomore — won races at Anderson County and Sabetha before finishing second at Frontier League and 4A state championships.
• Brandon McCaffrey, Seabury Academy junior — ran to a fifth-place finish at regional before taking 12th at 1A state championship.
• Patrick Rachford, Tonganoxie senior — won three invitationals, second at Kaw Valley League, third at regional and ninth at 4A state.
• Angel Vasquez, De Soto junior — after winning Frontier League and regional titles, secured 4A state crown at Wamego with a time of 16:30.
Runner of the year
Free State senior Kain Anderson
The Firebirds senior set the FSHS record with a time of 15:50. Anderson headed into state with second-place finishes at the Sunflower League and regional championships before making it three top-two finishes in a row by ending the season and capping his successful prep career as the No. 2 runner in 6A.
Coach of the year
Chris McAfee, De Soto
The Wildcats enjoyed a successful season with Vasquez, senior Phillip Kaul and junior Diego Sanchez leading the way under McAfee’s guidance. De Soto finished third in the team standings at the 4A state championship at Wamego Country Club, behind Hugoton and Wamego.
(alphabetic, by school)
Tosh Mihesuah, Brian Wright, Baldwin; Phillip Kaul, Diego Sanchez, De Soto; Tristin Chapman, Tanner Lynn, Eudora; Kamp Wiebe, Free State; Zach Andregg, Nathan Stringer, Lawrence; Dalton Harrington, Caleb Himpel, Tonganoxie; Cole Meyer, Derek Moore, Hunter Thuro, Wellsville.