Letters to the Editor

Think again

August 26, 2011

To the editor:

In his recent letter to the editor, Martin Dickinson stated that Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins chose to “cast her lot with the super rich.” I assume he means billionaires like Warren Buffett and George Soros. What he doesn’t explain is why she would do that. Clearly, Rep. Jenkins is not super rich herself and I’m willing to bet cold hard cash that she hasn’t received campaign contributions from either Buffett or Soros, both of whom overwhelmingly support Democrats.

At last Friday’s Town Hall, Jenkins said that the super rich paid a lower percentage of tax on their income, not because they are in a lower tax bracket, but because they are able to exploit loopholes — loopholes she would like to eliminate. As a CPA who specialized in income taxes, she should know.

My late father often reminded me that someone could have the same information as I have yet reach a different conclusion. He told me I had to respect that. I always thought Dad gave me that advice because, like Mr. Dickinson, he was a lawyer. Apparently it was Dad’s nature, not his legal training, that allowed him to respect opinions differing from his own.

Comments

orangechubb 2 years, 7 months ago

Answer the questions. I love my country. I find Obama distasteful. I hate neither. If you want to call me stupid,do so by all means, but leave the mentally handicapped out of it. Grow the hell up A-hole.

jayhawxrok 2 years, 7 months ago

orange, quit projecting your hate for America onto Obama, you look retarded

orangechubb 2 years, 7 months ago

I see. I am also aware that our chosen leader would very much like us to pay as much or more for our gas as Europeans do. Why is this?? Why does this man hate Americans so much?? He promised hope and change. The only changes have been for the worse. This country is so much worse off now then when he took over. I did not buy into his BS the first time and I sure will not for his second run. Oh well if he wins again at least maybe Michelle will be proud to be an American one more time. What a crock.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 7 months ago

orangechubb (anonymous) replies… Did you pay $3.50 a gallon for gas in 1981??? WTF are you talking about??? ==== OC: I think it's called 'adjusted for inflation.' As I recall, gold's highest real price was about this time as well. Gasoline is still relatively cheap compared to other parts of the country and much of the world. We are just spoiled. I think the high for gold in real dollars was about 1980 at about $850/ounce.

avhjmlk 2 years, 7 months ago

I understand tha Jenkins is a CPA and that this means she understands how income taxes work, what the loopholes are, etc. What the writer fails to mention is that Martin Dickinson is a law professor whose particular area of study and expertise is taxation. I've taken his class. It's incredibly difficult, but I've never heard someone boil down the tax code and make it understandable like Prof. Dickinson can. Not only does he understand the practical application of the tax code (like a CPA does), but he has also followed the way it has changed over the course of time and also knows the law behind the tax code, which is probably not something all CPAs can claim.

jayhawxrok 2 years, 7 months ago

Jenkins is a liar and a loon. She will say whatever she thinks will be well received by whomever she's addressing...ten minutes later her tune will change as she addresses others.

The bottom line is that the Bush tax cuts make no sense.

For every dollar in tax cuts to the rich we get back 32 cents in economic growth.

For every dollar in payroll tax holiday to the middle class (which Jenkins and the reps oppose) we get back $1.24 in economic growth.

I guess Jenkins and the reps are as allergic to math as they are science and truth.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

What was missing from the deal? A budget that would have saved $4 trillion. Plus Millions of new jobs that would create new economic growth.

The “Peoples Budget” that which does everything this country needs:

* Creates good-paying jobs
* Fully maintains our social safety net
* Invests in education
* Ends our costly wars
* Closes the tax loopholes that have made offshoring jobs profitable
* Ends oil and gas subsidies that pollute our country at taxpayer expense
* Creates a national infrastructure investment bank to help us make intelligent investments for the future

What the “Peoples Budget” does very specifically:

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

Lynn Jenkins like so many other Kansas elected officials have no clue what they are doing. They take orders and written transcripts from special interests and we Kansas voters are NOT among the special interests.

Meanwhile:

The idea is to somehow create new economic growth. Tax/budget cuts and unemployment pay will never do that long term say like forever.

Let's think a combination of cuts and revenue generators. Jobs are revenue generators.

1. Establish a major 4 year job program. USA industry does not want to employ americans. Therefore government MUST step up to the plate.

2. I want my tax dollars putting people to work making money and creating new economic growth. This is a best bang for the tax buck. Put people to work rehabilitating federal highways and older sidewalks throughout the nation. And yes cleaner energy.

3. Social Security Insurance adds nothing to the debt and seniors are paying for Medicare Insurance. Leave these successful programs alone.

4. Stop the wars, cut all pork barrel subsidies/earmarks and terminate Bush Tax Cuts.

What is missing? A budget that would have save $4 trillion.

Neither Tea Party neoconservative republicans nor democrats stepped up to the plate

When will democrats learn five things?

1. Following the economic direction of Tea Party Neoconservative Christian Fundamentalists frustrates the entire planet

2. That government MUST step up to the plate = establish a major 3 year job program that does not include USA industry and USA banks yet will employ millions upon millions.

3. I want my tax dollars putting people to work making money and creating new economic growth. This is a best bang for the tax buck. Rehabilitate federal highways, rehab sidewalks in every community = healthy for Americans and bring on clean collar employment.

1. Retaining Bush tax cuts,not saving $4 trillion and putting forth zero job bills obviously was not the answer.

2. What was missing from the deal?

rwwilly 2 years, 7 months ago

I just returned to this area after being gone for more than a decade. I love Kansas. However, in my absence it seems there has been a noticeable degradation of the average Kansans' toleranace for reasonal discourse. That's a pretty way of saying a more more of you seem to have forgotten your manners as well as your willingness and ability to sanely and intelligently discuss subjects that you find important. Politics is the art of compromise. Always will be. Venting on the oppositions makes you appear stupid. Seriously, this is one of the worse blogs for political rantings I have ever seen. Grow up. If you don't have something constructive to say take your stupidity elsewhere. Only about 1/2 of 1% of you bloggers know political satire well enough to practice it. Go elsewhere, pleeeeeeease.

Lynn731 2 years, 7 months ago

So far Jenkins is doing an excellent job. I expect she will continue to do so. Thank you, Lynn

Jimo 2 years, 7 months ago

"Jenkins said that the super rich paid a lower percentage of tax on their income, not because they are in a lower tax bracket, but because they are able to exploit loopholes — loopholes she would like to eliminate."

All in all - Marsha Goff sounds like a total dupe. The type of person who ends up being eaten alive by bears.

Under her evaluation of the world, there's always two sides to every debate. I say the world is round. Marsha Goff says it's flat. Oh well, we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Under her dear old dad's homespun Andy Griffith wisdom, we're just two reasonable people who assemble the facts differently. Not one person with facts and the other person ejecting spittle-flecked nonsense. Study after study (and empirical observation) shows that Propaganda Channel viewers come away with uninformed propagandist views (surprise!) and are either unaware of facts or even angrily dismissive of reality! Jenkins wanting to stop giving away tax revenues to her wealthy backers? Please. Let's go ride unicorns through lollypop fields too.

Jenkins
will.
never.
AYE.
against. her. masters'. interests.

weeslicket 2 years, 7 months ago

sorry. in late and didn't read the above posts.
but what i did read was the following: "At last Friday’s Town Hall, Jenkins said that the super rich paid a lower percentage of tax on their income, not because they are in a lower tax bracket, but because they are able to exploit loopholes — loopholes she would like to eliminate." but, when she had a chance to take this action (i.e. the $4.something trillion debt reduction package some few weeks ago; vis-s-vis the debt limit agreement), she balked. bailed. failed. ms. jenkings may want to eliminate tax loopholes, just as long as she doesn't actually have to make that vote.
yah. thanks for the representation.

and: "As a CPA who specialized in income taxes, she should know." seems liking and knowing and doing are not the same things for ms. jenkins.

CountyResident 2 years, 7 months ago

Just because Lynn Jenkins is a CPA does not mean that she correctly understands tax law or is deliberately trying to mislead the public. Michele Bachmann who was an attorney for the IRS says that President Obama's proposal to increase the tax on those making over $250,000. per year would effect her carpet layer, because his gross business income execeeds $250,000. President Obama's proposed increase in taxes would only apply if her carpet layers net business income exceeded $250,000. This has been pointed out to her many times by interviewers, but she keeps on saying it.

Now to the income tax rates of Warren Buffett and George Soros. Since the Bush tax cuts in 2003, dividend income and gains from the sale of assets held over one year are only taxed at 15%. No matter how much income you make. I suspect that both Buffett and Soros have large amounts of these types of income. Other taxpayers such as those earning a salary or small businesses in the highest tax backets pay 35% on their income. Even taypayers earning modest amounts of income pay 25%. Does Jenkins consider this a tax loophole or because of a lower tax bracket. Doesn't matter to me what you call it. I agree with Buffet, it doesn't seem right.

Gandalf 2 years, 7 months ago

In a perfect world! But unfortunately republicans have proven they refuse to compromise. Turn the other cheek for them and you will just get slapped again.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 7 months ago

"I am weary of the hostility that exists in today’s political climate. I hope voters recognize and reject ridiculous rhetoric, regardless of the side from which it comes."

Amen to that. er.....I agree with that.....(don't want to offend anyone by saying "Amen"....