Letters to the Editor

Face to face

August 20, 2011

To the editor:

Thank you, Dan Dimmitt, for your letter about sharing a smile with someone on Mass. Street asking for money. You helped me put into words why I want to share a dollar, even if the dollar might go to something I may view as “wasteful” or “destructive.” My dollar isn’t going to change a life, but genuine eye contact or a shared smile might change an afternoon, for both of us. It’s a beautiful thing, often powerful, when two people acknowledge their shared humanity.

Comments

uncleandyt 2 years, 8 months ago

Homeless people now come in all shapes and sizes. We arrive nowhere from a wide variety of backgrounds. "Some of them are old. Some of them are new. Some of them will turn up when you least expect them to, but when they do...", don't freak out. They are humans. Up, up with people. You meet them wherever you go. Up, up with people. They're the best kind of folks to know. If more people knew more people like people everywhere there'd be a lot less people to worry about and a lot more people who cared. or something

edjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I admire your human compassion Beverly. But unfortunely you are contributing to the problem.

observant 2 years, 8 months ago

Quite honestly, would rather deal with homeless downtown than the drunken bar hoppers that swarm there every night. One reason, I never go downtown after 5 PM.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 8 months ago

I've found the homeless way more sincere and godly than the typical Lawrence busybody who has no inhibition or reservations about getting up in strangers' faces in grabby, aggressive ways. Yesterday a delivery person grabbed the mail out of my box, not realizing it was there for the post woman to pick up and send out. The point is it's a federal offense to mess with other people's mail, so why would anyone presume to paw over anyone else's mail? This is the type of perceptive,"helpful" people one meets everyday in the streets of Lawrence though. Decent, legal, respectful boundaries, please. To be useful you have to have your brain in gear, which few in Douglas County do. Such clueless people may have good intentions, but they are based on being brainwashed by unwise parents and a backwoods community, not good judgment or appreciation of anyone's individuality. Obviously, when you're off-base it's offensive. When you say "Happy Hannukah" instead of Merry Christmas" to a stranger you could seem disrespectful. The usual type of presumptuous disrespectful judgment of others by prejudice and stereotypes is way worse than that in Lawrence. People here miss way more than they hit the ball. It's offensive that such uncultured people see themselves as so entitled to bother others in a lame attempt at being friendly, or worse yet, demanding in the name of God to be appreciated as "helpful." Down with street harassment and sidewalk terrorism.

George Lippencott 2 years, 8 months ago

Is this about helping people or about feeling better. Enabling bad behavior whether with a dollar on the street or with large sums of other people's money in a dysfunctional social safety net encouraging dependency is about "self" and not about helping others.

PROAMERICA 2 years, 8 months ago

Hell Sandy Beverly I'm an old disabled guy unable to walk downtown to put my cup out. You going to help me? SRS here while back refused me. They said my 878.00 per month income was too much and made it appear that I was right up there with the rich people. How many of these dollar receipents downtown can get up and walk with no problem to the nearest booze store or drug house? Your an idiot Sandy Beverly!!!

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

I used to give money to downtown pandhandlers until I found out they were using it to buy booze then passing out in alleyways, under nearby residents porches and garages. Decided the best thing to do was give money to the local organizations that help the homeless rather then be an enabler.

jayhawxrok 2 years, 8 months ago

For someone whining about others not working, cato's day job seems to be sitting on her arse posting right wing b.s.all day everyday.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

I understand the sentiment, Sandy, and I know about walking in others' shoes. How more beautiful, tho', shared humanity, were it not shared in such disparity.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

If you really want to help a panhandler, tell him "no." If everyone did that, he might try to find a job.