Archive for Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ottawa Extreme Makeover house to be unveiled at 7 p.m. tonight

August 6, 2011

The Ottawa Extreme Makeover: Home Edition house will be unveiled tonight at 7 p.m.

The public is welcome, and is invited to the build site beginning at 8 a.m. this morning.

Actress Glenn Close, who nominated the Sgt. Allen Hill's family for the home, will be in attendance.

Hill — married and a father of two — was injured by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

The build site is located at 11 Wheatland in Ottawa.

For more information, visit joinextreme.com/kansas.

Site of Extreme Makeover house

Comments

Kimberly Hatch 3 years, 4 months ago

Why do you have to have something dramatic happen to your family in order to get a house from extreme makeover. What about the people who work and just live a normal life........

Shelly Welcher 3 years, 4 months ago

I cant speak for the companies but the volunteers are there to help a much deserving family!!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you and hope that given this experience of helping another person they will continue on helping people who could use it. I think there may be a few individuals that are only helping so they can say that they helped with the EHM house but still they donated their time so good for the. For the most part people are willing to help out if they know of a certain family or cause that needs it. Sometimes it's hard to take the initiative and go out there and find someone to help on your own but when you're aware of a cause it's easier to join in and help. I don't think we should knock people who are willing to donate their time to a cause regardless of their intentions. Great work to all the volunteers!

Jimo 3 years, 4 months ago

Who is going to pay the property taxes on one of these grandiose, over the top, 'see what money buys' makeover houses? Or is the family going to have to try to sell the place so they can move into something they can afford?

trinity 3 years, 4 months ago

That's long been a concern of mine also, Jimo. The taxes-oy. I just barely make mine, and they are CHEAP in comparison to some of the mcmansions here in Franklin County! That particular little rural subdivision is pretty pricey...

thinkbeforeyousubmit 3 years, 4 months ago

The property taxes for homes in this subdivision run around $4500 a year. Having known the Hill family for many years, I can confidently say that this will not be a problem for them. The negative comments of people who don't know the facts are what we should be most concerned about.

MattressMan 3 years, 4 months ago

"The property taxes for homes in this subdivision run around $4500 a year. Having known the Hill family for many years, I can confidently say that this will not be a problem for them."

I hate to be a negative Nancy but if they can aford $4500 for property tax I think I would have rather seen the build go towards someone less fortunate. Perhaps a rehab of the current home to make it accessible would have been a better use of resources as well as award someone of lesser status.

Either way my thanks to the entire Hill family for the sacrifice and their commitment to our country.

thinkbeforeyousubmit 3 years, 4 months ago

Again, you need to know the facts!!! Their previous home was near the railroad tracks and a quarry with frequent blasting. It was not a safe environment. An organization like Extreme Makeover Home Edition has the technology and resources to build a safe home so that this deserving family can live together once again. If you hate to be a negative Nancy, then keep your comments to yourself.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 4 months ago

$375 a month for housing is hardly the budget of a wealthy person.

avetaysmom 3 years, 4 months ago

I think this is great for this family! I don't know why so many people have to be negitave about things all the time! I would love a new home, need one, took my disabled mother in about 3 years ago and it would be nice to accomodate her more because she is disabled, but ya know we get by. But that doesn't mean I would go diss anyone else getting this done for them!

I'm just waiting for home crashers to come to home depot when I am their, looking at all the things I would love to get for my house!

tatchity 3 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately, they do not have time to completely makeover all of Ottawa.

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

It will be a sad day next week when Ty's crew leaves their hotel. They sure have been a fun bunch.Congrats to the Hill family and thank you for your service!

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

Kudos to those who do things. I have nothing but respect for people standing up to help a veteran's family. If you guys get off your butt, if you want someone to help some ordinary family, that is easy to do. I do it all the time. I don't understand why the people who give the least to the community sit around gassing about how people who actually do things, should do it different. Good for Glenn Close, to the make over crew and the hill family.

Kawatchi 3 years, 4 months ago

Pretty disgusting that we have people upset that there is a show that does great things for families who need some help.

acg 3 years, 4 months ago

I think this is a great show/idea. And it's awesome that they do this for these families. I have often wondered why we don't see regular working joe's on this show, too, but truthfully working joe's have a better chance of being able to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, so to speak, so I don't get annoyed by it. What does annoy me is thinking about the taxes and utilities that go into one of these McMansions. If you have a family that was struggling and were paying the electric bill to cool a modest little house and then all of a sudden they have to cool a multi-story palatial palace then who is this helping? I've also read stories about people who have mortgaged these houses. Why are they doing it? To make the bills? Or to get ahold of some cash? Either way does anyone else think they should not be able to mortgage a giant house they got for free?

808Drive 3 years, 4 months ago

I think it's a great gesture and kudos to all who help...yadda yadda. My biggest concern is maintaining a house that was built in a week that is so large. If you do some research on all of the homes this organization has created, a good third of them have been sold already because the family just couldn't deal with the enormity of it all. It's a shame. The homes seem to keep getting bigger and bigger too, they have to out do themselves each week it seems.