Letters to the Editor

Out of balance

August 2, 2011

To the editor:

Steve Six was seen as the right man for the judgeship, including among those so judging, many Republicans. Now he is seen as too far left for our far right senators to do the job in the right manner. Judges are supposed to be near the center, but the far right senators of Kansas cannot find a way to stop putting a spin to the right on all they do and want judged.

It is time to stop spinning to the right in righteousness and look straight ahead and maybe see that, in the peripheral vision on your left side, there is some truth and honesty there, even if your own sense of balance between right and left is not there.

Comments

Richard Heckler 3 years ago

Steve Six has never been far left ever in his politics.

Today's Republicans do not believe in bipartisan anything no matter what it is. In reality the republican party is dead aka history. 1980 ushered in some new thinking that has been anything but republican. They come with a dangerous agenda against democracy.

So my question to old school republicans. Have you truly been paying attention? Think about this the next voting opportunity. Did any of you realize that any repub that challenged a neoconservative reckless spending prez the party replaced that individual effectively removing repubs from the repub party? Have you truly been paying attention? YOUR party is no longer.... try RINO.

A 60 year fiscal conservative republican left the NOT repubs in recent years simply because the repub party is no longer there. The party walked away from him. It was a difficult decision. He is now working with the democratic party which is more like moderate republican IMO. A stunning but admirable move... IMO more like earth shattering. This fiscal conservative republican is my father in law.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

I have to agree with Merrill. My father was a lifelong Republican (which made for some strange discussions in our otherwise Democratic household). However, he was of the party of Goldwater, Bob Dole, Nancy Kassebaum, etc. He was still alive when Newt was Speaker and it was about that time he started questioning his own party. He was dismayed and embarrassed by the Republican vilification of Clinton solely for the sake of partisanship. He remained a member of the Republican party until his death in '94 but, knowing my dad, he would have never voted for the party as it is today. In fact, I can pretty well guarantee he would have never voted for Brownback.

cato_the_elder 3 years ago

The Democrat Party today bears no resemblance to what it was at the time of John Kennedy. It was hijacked by the far left in the late '60s and into the early '70s, and many of its members, who had voted for Roosevelt, Truman, Stevenson and Kennedy, began to flee to the Republican Party.

Many posters here have a warped view of politics that's not consistent with what a majority of Americans living outside of college and university towns and urban enclaves, such as Hyde Park in Chicago, believe. The far left in America is its own cabal, and Barack Obama is very representative of it.

Much hatred of Governor Brownback has been spewed here and more undoubtedly will be, but a significant majority of Kansans outside of Douglas County voted for him. Those who hate Governor Brownback also appear to hate much of Kansas outside of Douglas County, an attitude which is regularly demonstrated on this forum and does no good whatsoever for the University of Kansas.

If you live in Berkeley and are posting such comments from there, fine. If, however, you're a Kansan posting such comments, you need to wake up and realize that you're out of touch with most of your fellow Kansans. Perhaps a change of scenery would benefit you.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

How odd. Keep drinking the kool aid, Cato. I have family in south central Kansas and friends in western Kansas. Much of what they are telling me is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're saying. Nor have I lived my entire life in Lawrence. I have friends in education at the university level that will tell you that I'm about as far from "ivory tower" as you can get. In fact, I've taken them to task for not coming out of the "tower". If you don't think that Brownback's actions aren't causing consternation elsewhere in the state I think you need to wait until the next elections. I think you just may be surprised. Brownback is in line to become the Kansas equivalent of George W. Bush; someone that not even his own party will desire an endorsement from.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 12 months ago

You're doing a much better job of describing Obama.

Do you have your "Hillary in 1012" button yet?

jafs 2 years, 12 months ago

Brownback was elected by about a 2/3 majority of those who voted.

However, the turnout was about 50%, so he was actually elected by about 1/3 of eligible voters in KS.

Not a majority, and certainly not a significant majority.

jafs 2 years, 12 months ago

That's why we shouldn't be talking about "mandates", or "landslides", or "significant majorities", etc.

jafs 2 years, 12 months ago

Sure.

I've never claimed Obama was elected by a significant majority of eligible voters.

Scribeoflight 2 years, 12 months ago

Doing a quick google search gives me the following information:

In the 2010 election, Gov. Brownback won with a total of 530,760 votes

This is out of a total Kansas population of 2,853,118

So, out of all Kansans, only 18.6 percent voted for Gov. Brownback.

Total registered voters is at 1,706,798

So, out of registered voters, only 31.1 percent voted for Gov. Brownback.

Any way you slice it, that is far from a significant majority.

I'm not from Berkley, I'm from Kansas. Born and raised, thank you very much. I pay my taxes, I work here, my family is here. Your casual dismissal of my viewpoint as being un-Kansan offends me.

WE ARE YOUR FELLOW KANSANS.

jayhawxrok 2 years, 12 months ago

Obama has a mandate, if Dubya had one as he claimed and won by less than Obama did. That fact just irks the loony racist idiots of this state and others.

rtwngr 2 years, 12 months ago

Steve Six carried out the agenda of protecting abortion providers that were operating illegally in the State of Kansas. These same abortion providers poured money into the Sebelius campaigns and, in return, operated unfettered within the state. Steve Six was duplicitous in his answers before the Judicial Committee. Steve Six got what he had coming just not what Sebelius promised.