Archive for Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Top speed limit rising to 75 mph on some Kansas highways

April 20, 2011

— Kansas motorists will soon be able to drive 75 mph — legally — on designated parts of divided four-lane highways.

Gov. Sam Brownback has signed legislation raising the state's maximum speed limit from the current 70 mph. The change takes effect July 1 and lets the transportation secretary decide where to post the higher limits.

The Kansas Department of Transportation estimates nearly 1,100 miles of highway, mostly interstates, qualify for the higher speed limit.

Legislative proponents argued the change would help dissuade because freight companies from bypassing Kansas in favor of states with higher speed limits. Others pointed out that Kansas motorists routinely exceed the 70 mph limit anyway.

Opponents countered that if the posted speed limit is 75, drivers will now go 80 or 85, putting themselves and others at more risk.

Comments

Marty_McFly 3 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully it'll be raised to 88 mph at some point.

straightforward 3 years, 8 months ago

Just because the speed limit goes up five mph doesn't mean you have to drive faster. If you want to drive slower to maximize your fuel efficiency then go ahead and keep driving seventy, or even slower if you're really that concerned.

newmedia 3 years, 8 months ago

And please stay in the right hand lane.

Ken Miller 3 years, 8 months ago

Ironic, unfortunately, that the issues of raising speed limits and studying the installation of cable median barriers have arisen again at the same time.

KDOT may want to couple raising speed limits with rolling out cable median barriers - even higher speed crossover collisions mean more death and destruction.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 8 months ago

Of course, but it probably isn't big...you are going to be in pretty bad shape either way

Cai 3 years, 8 months ago

"Legislative proponents argued the change would help dissuade because " (sic) ...

what will it dissuade? I'm having a hard time seeing both sides of the argument here.

Though, to be fair, speed limits don't effectively change the rate at which drivers drive unless they are consistently and actively enforced. And even then.....

straightforward 3 years, 8 months ago

Take a look at a map Jack. A truck driver going from the midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana or Ohio or anywhere in the northeast has the option of taking I-80 or I-70 when driving west, without driving "hundreds of miles" out of their way. How about you drop the hyperbole.

straightforward 3 years, 8 months ago

I guess you missed the part that said "or anywhere in the northeast"... that ought to add about ten more states. Interstates run both ways too. Truck drivers from half a dozen states in the western part of the country also have a choice between I-80 and I-70 when they drive east.

Jason Bailey 3 years, 8 months ago

JackRipper: You do realize that the statement regarding freight companies bypassing KS is political posturing and rhetoric to get the bill through and as a facade to the public. Obama does it all the time--we're just learning from the master.

imastinker 3 years, 8 months ago

Jason,

It does happen. I am driving to San Diego this summer. I can go over the mountains at 60-70 MPH the whole way or go the southern route through the desert. It's a straight shot with 70-75 MPH speed limits the whole way. There is a 30 mile difference between the two routes, but I can drive faster on one. In addition, there is no sales tax on food along parts of I-40.

Maybe these aren't big factors, but I still get to pick where I spend my money. It's not a huge difference in costs but it's there. California and Illinois have 55 MPH speed limits with trailers. Care to guess which states I hate driving in? Illinois is terrible. It has high tolls with terrible roads they don't keep cleared and the speed limit is 65 MPH with a high gas tax. LEO's are everywhere pulling people over too.

I try to avoid Illinois at all costs. Kansas really isn't too bad all things considered.

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

If you see a blur passing you, well beyond 75 MPH, it's me on my nitro fueled Moped.

Liberty275 3 years, 8 months ago

Lets work on getting limit-free zones on rural interstates instead of just tossing out random numbers..

strongarmcrunch 3 years, 8 months ago

I am happy to see this. Been doing it anyway.

Mark Kostner 3 years, 8 months ago

I think they should raise the speed limit on I-70 from Salina to the state line to 80 or 85 like I-10 in West Texas. Hays is the only large town in the 430 miles from Salina to Denver. I-70 is one of the emptiest stretches of freeway in the country and a high speed limit would be safe there. The interstates were actually engineered for high speed driving.

roadwarrior 3 years, 8 months ago

so the govt noticed that traffic on I-70 and subsequent toll revenue had seen a decline and assumed its because of the speed limit ? The lost traffic can be found travelling hwy 40 going 45mph !!! lol.

Kontum1972 3 years, 8 months ago

hmmm...might as well set up a morgue on K-10....

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 8 months ago

I was amused back when the 55 mph speed limit was abolished, then about the same time the mandatory seat belt law came into effect. I wondered "Is the state trying to kill me, or save my life?" I'm still not sure.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, this will create jobs...for tow truck drivers, morticians, people who make those little white crosses...