Archive for Monday, April 18, 2011

Marching Jayhawks director David Clemmer leaving KU to pursue doctorate

April 18, 2011

The director of the Kansas University Marching Jayhawks will leave KU after the semester ends to pursue a doctoral degree.

David Clemmer has been director of the Marching Jayhawks and director of athletic bands since coming to KU from Sam Houston State University in 2006.

Paul Popiel, KU’s director of bands, said that the number of marching band participants increased tremendously while Clemmer served as director. Clemmer said the band has increased from about 150 when he arrived to about 280 today.

“The quality of the band has improved significantly,” Popiel said.

Clemmer will attend school at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, he said. The doctorate would prepare him to one day move into a job as director of bands.

That position would allow him to spend additional time with the musical side of his profession, including training graduate conductors and spending more time working with a school’s concert ensemble band.

“Once this degree’s completed, that will prepare me in terms of the necessary paperwork,” Clemmer said.

The decision to leave was a difficult one, Clemmer said, but he said he was thankful for the people he met at KU.

“I truly believe that our students are in a wonderful place and they believe in each other and they believe in the Marching Jayhawks as an idea,” Clemmer said.

Comments

sad_lawrencian 3 years, 8 months ago

Not sure this is that big of a deal. I was in the KU music department (sorry, school of music) for a while back when they were going through a new director of bands like, every other year. The latest director, Paul Popiel, seems like he's running the show pretty well. There are 1,000,000 guys out in the wings who can direct a marching band. I wish Mr. Clemmer the best of luck (he being a lucky one who got this job with no doctorate) in his future endeavors, and KU's school of music the best of luck in getting some continuity and stability in their band program. They will both need it.

kusp8 3 years, 8 months ago

Glad to see the LJWorld chose not to investigate the allegations of illegal underage drinking during Marching Jayhawk and Pep Band trips directly linked to David Clemmer.

BigAl 3 years, 8 months ago

kusp8.... I have a family member in the Marching Jayhawks and I know several other members very well. Your statement is the first I have heard of ANY negative allegations concerning the band members.

These are great kids and they work hard at promoting Jayhawk Nation and they reflect great credit upon themselves and Kansas University. I have nothing but respect for the Marching Jayhawks.

kusp8 3 years, 8 months ago

BigAl, without telling you, or anybody else who reads this site, who I am, your relative is blissfully ignorant. Have them look around and they'll discover they're wrong.

kusp8 3 years, 8 months ago

Even though I was in band 4 years ago I still know the underage drinking goes on during trips.

kusp8 3 years, 8 months ago

kusp8 3 years, 8 months ago

konzahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Clemmer did a good job of increasing the numbers. I'm not sure if it was the result of his leadership or Todd Reesing. Now we have an opportunity to hire an assistant director from a Big Ten school, like Wisconsin or Ohio State. Those are real bands that march, instead of walk.

hujiko 3 years, 8 months ago

Are you implying that the Marching Jayhawks don't actually march? I know there are better bands than the MJs, but I would like to see you devote all that time and energy. These are highly motivated college students that work incredibly hard and sacrifice a big portion of their time; I'm not sorry if they don't meet your criterion of excellence.