Archive for Friday, April 15, 2011

NBA riches await Josh Selby

April 15, 2011

Josh Selby will hear his name called when the NBA holds its draft.

Why?

You’re asking the wrong guy.

But he will. Bank on it. Maybe even in the first round. Brace yourself: He might even be a lottery pick.

Why?

Beats me.

What has he done to merit an NBA uniform?

Well, nothing, but as we’ve all heard a billion times, the NBA drafts on potential. Fine, but guys drafted on potential have loud, exciting tools. They’re phenomenal jumpers or remarkably quick or insane shooters or they have great size or they’re lock-down defenders. This is where I confess to being lost.

And this was how one NBA insider who spoke on the condition of anonymity articulated what I’m missing about Selby’s potential.

“His athleticism, his speed,” John Doe said. “He can defend a one or a two. His upside is unlimited. I like his size, and he has an athletic body.”

Teammates painted a different picture of Selby the athlete in practice than the guy the rest of us saw playing in games, so often seemingly on the periphery of the action. This next quote from Mr. Doe blew me away.

“He’s going to go to one-on-one workouts and freak people out with his athleticism,” he said.

From my seat in Section 13A, Tyshawn Taylor looked a good deal quicker and Elijah Johnson far more vertically explosive.

Then again, I’m not even smart enough to know how ticket consultant Thomas Blubaugh could be getting paid $115,000 a year by the athletic department when director Lew Perkins didn’t know he was on the payroll. Nor am I smart enough to know how women’s basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson two years ago could have been given an extension without getting the team to the NCAA Tournament, a pact so lucrative the school has her under contract for three more years for about $1.9 million.

Anyway, back to Selby. Joe Abunassar, owner and lead trainer for Impact Basketball in Las Vegas, did a nice job of trying to clear up the mystery.

“Probably the closest comparison I can make is Monta Ellis,” Abunassar told Andy Samuelson, who interviewed him Wednesday for the Journal-World. “I trained him for the draft. Josh has a combination of skills, explosiveness and strength that you just don’t find very often. The way he controls his body is much like Monta did, where he moves in a very unusual way.”

Ellis averages 24.1 points per game for the Golden State Warriors in his sixth NBA season. He signed out of high school and averaged 6.8 points. Abunassar said he considers Selby a combination guard.

“Great change of speeds off ball screens,” Abunassar said. “He can handle the ball. His knowledge of the game is excellent. He sees the floor very, very well.”

Selby will be given several years to grow into the player he couldn’t become in parts of one season at KU. He never helped Kansas, which outscored Virginia Commonwealth by 10 points when Selby sat and was outscored by 20 points when the freshman from Baltimore played.

Comments

eastcoasthawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Seems that there are two books on Josh. The guys like your Mr. Doe that might be convinced to take a shot with Josh. Then there are the guys like the Mr. Doe's from the CBS story that liken him to Willie Warren. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I believe you are right Tom. Someone will want to take a shot with Josh. When and where, I don't know. I can only wish the Baltimore kid who signed with KU but whose dream was to play in the NBA all the best.

William Weissbeck 3 years, 8 months ago

And the corruption of college basketball continues. Who pays for these NBA training camps? Is it like the old record studios who signed hundreds of potential talent to royalty contracts that paid almost nothing, so that when the few stars actually made it like Chubby Checker, they got nothing for their hits? Has Selby already been forced to sell his soul? I gave up on the NBA years ago. To me the difference between the college and pro game is like the difference between baseball and cricket.

theotherphogg 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm surprised at the bitterness many 'fans' are displaying in their comments on this story. Josh came here and gave it all he had while battling through the suspension and injuries. Looks to me like all the disappointment of losing to VCU is coming out, and being directed at Josh Selby. People would have been ecstatic had he returned, but he's not. Remember, you all loved him after he beat USC! But the bitter remarks in these posts didn't exactly encourage him to come back. I hope Josh Selby realizes many fans are thankful he came here and we wish him all the best in the future.

drnater 3 years, 8 months ago

I find it funny that they likened him to Monta Ellis, because before the season started Josh himself said he thought he had the same game as Monta. I also find it interesting that so many people on here think he'll just be a bust. If you look at the past few NBA Drafts, there are plenty of kids that were thought to stay in school but didnt. 2 years ago, Demar Derozan, Tyreke Evans, and Jrue Holiday were all freshman that went out, though some thought they should come back. Then you get Brandon Jennings, who didnt make the eligibility to get into Arizona. Goes overseas, plays in 27 games, averages 17 minutes, 5.5 pts, 1.2 boards, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals. Nobody thought he should enter the draft. He did, picked 10th and helped lead the Bucks to the playoffs, while coming close to the ROY award. So before all of you start putting out your "expert" opinions, (Since all of you are draft guru's) Remember, the NBA is a pick and roll type league, and players like Selby thrive in that kind of system. Just as Xavier has done a nice job this year in that system. Get over yourselves, and support this kid, he went through a lot this year, just like the rest of the team.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

What the hell. If Josh feels this is his calling and is willing to put in the time........ so what.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 8 months ago

I am with WWWWW... The university was founded as an educational institution and supposedly dedicated to the education of it's students. This disgusting habit of taking childern out of high school and using them to sell tickets to watch them drop a ball through a hoop and then kiss them good bye as they go on to bigger and better hoops leaving the university with yet another failure to educate a student. I know that this is heritical to some sports fans who live their lives on the events of Allen Fieldhouse, but to me, allowing this sort of behavior is very counter-productive to the goals of providing higher education. It is not the place of an educational institution to provide cannon fodder for professional sports teams and to allow one to only attend for a year or so is wasteful of taxpayer's money and a complete abandonmdent of the supposed purpose of higher educational institutions. But this practice is dripping with dirty money (as are most scams, frauds, and hoaxes) and apparently Kansas University is not bothered by using these clueless childern for the purpose of imbibing in some of this dirty money.

drnater 3 years, 8 months ago

Well blame the NBA for the one and done rule, not the University. Also, the whole point of college is to prepare students to become professionals. Its no big deal if a student goes to college for one year, then decides to go into their field of choice. If they feel they were prepared. How many students leave college early because they feel they are prepared? I dont see you complaining about them. Point being, this happens every year. Whether it be athletes or just regular students. Get over it, find something worth while to complain about.

overthemoon 3 years, 8 months ago

Other students don't get free tutoring, free meals, free training and health care, free advertising of their talents on tv, or any of the other perks the 'student' athletes get.

drnater 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, I receive free tutoring, free training if I go to the Rec and ask for it, I would receive free meals if I lived in the dorms,. I think if I need the doctor its something like $50 bucks, which is only $40 more than I paid when I was on my parents insurance. Its funny what financial aid, and scholarships will do for you when your just a normal student... So where are you going with this?

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

I look forward to the day KU retires his jersey.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

How much post-high-school experience does he really have? Did he even play in ten games? First he was under investigation and couldn't play, then when he came back, he was out after surgery for most of the rest of the season. There shoudl be a rule that says , unless you win a Championship, no more one and dones. Higher education is important, he'll need something to fall back on when he gets hurt playing with the "BIG DOGS".

rgh 3 years, 8 months ago

Some kids have the ability to turn it around in a hurry and some don't. Josh could indeed do very well or he could be a bust if the people around the NBA think he has a chance, then so be it. Good luck and let's wish him well. He did play for KU for gosh sakes and not Misery. If the stupid NCAA hadn't handcuffed him to start the season, I bet he would have been a starter, great scorer and defender. He's not Lebron or Koby but he didn't skip college completely to go to the NBA and probably could have. Let's hope for the best from a former Jayhawk. It'll makes us look better.

overthemoon 3 years, 8 months ago

That he wore for how many minutes of court time?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

College basketball is a business. The NBA is a business. The difference is that in the NBA the players (you know, the ones who do all the heavy lifting) get paid for it.

Too bad the one season here didn't work out here as we all might have wished, but if Selby can make a go of it in the NBA, I say good on him.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

BTW, for all the hype that Selby got coming in, and the adversity he had to deal with along the way, I think he did a great job of checking his ego and playing within the team structure, which was designed to feature the Morris brothers, not any of the guards.

JSDAD 3 years, 8 months ago

Just glad he did'nt waste any of that talent while here. Would have been a shame to use some of it up before the big payday.

Gregory Newman 3 years, 8 months ago

Yaw don't get it that high-low offense is a guard killer PERIOD. It bemuse me that everybody that has something negative to say never made a high school basketball team and if you did you never got in the game.

Sherron Collins last 2 seasons was hard because he never had help. Everybody stood around and watched instead of moving into a open spot on the floor to receive a pass for an uncontested mid-range jumper.

That high-low is a death trap for guards you won't develope. Butler runs a variation of it but they allow for dribble-drive penetration for mid-range jumpers. If one has never played on a high school team in the 60's and 70's you would not have a clue its a lost art.

Watch guards like Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Duane Wade, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billips, Kirk Hinrich, Steve Nash, Brandon Roy and Mario Chalmers. Mario got that from his Dad. Manning is doing a great job with the Bigs but those other 3 coaches-please.

Brian Conrad 3 years, 8 months ago

post as many places as you can.. You still are not theeebest.. just a fool thinkin he can out coach Self. your above named players .. hmmmm Self coached Chalmers has a NCAA championship!!!! not Derrick Rose, Paul,Kidd,Wade,Hinrich,Nash,Roy or Billups... Get over it .. Self will win another or be in Final Four way before Butler makes it again. I rooted hard for Butler.. but come on.. I hate the NBA one and done rule and just takes the fun out of Senior night.. actually like the 4 star players.. get a group of these guys and add couple 5 stars as 4 stars become seniors.. well 2008 team.. need a Russell Robison, Aaron Miles type four year point guard.. may have it with Nadir Tharpe!