Archive for Thursday, April 14, 2011

Josh Selby bids KU adieu

Josh Selby looks to the crowd after a KU score during the first half of the Jayhawks' game against the Kansas State Wildcats, Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. KU defeated KSU 90-66.

April 14, 2011, 3:05 p.m. Updated April 15, 2011, 12:31 a.m.

Reader poll
Which former KU player will have the best NBA career?

or See the results without voting

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby, who had been training at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas a week-and-a-half while assessing his NBA options, decided after a particularly productive practice Wednesday that he’d be playing for pay next season.

“After working out, I told my mom, ‘I’m ready for the NBA.’ She said, ‘All right,’’’ the 6-foot-2 Baltimore native said Thursday, a few hours after posting on Twitter that he’d decided to enter the 2011 NBA Draft.

“It was kind of a 50-50 deal,” added Selby, who said his mom, Maeshon, called KU coach Bill Self on Thursday morning to inform him of the decision. “I wanted to leave, but I also wanted to make sure it was the right decision. I came out here and produced. I was getting back to my old self, looking good. I decided it was the right time to go to the NBA.”

Wearing a blue and black pair of KU adidas shorts and a white shirt, Selby spoke Thursday in a one-on-one interview with a Vegas Seven magazine reporter, who was asked to track down Selby for the Journal-World.

“I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter where you start, it just matters where you finish,” Selby said, asked where he thinks he’ll be selected in the June draft. “If it’s first round, second round, I’m going to try my best to do what it takes to be an all-star.”

Selby said he had no timetable to hire an agent, but already was looking at one possible representative.

Of his year at KU, during which he averaged 7.9 points (off 37.3 percent shooting) and 2.2 assists in 26 games, Selby said: “It matured me. I saw so many things. I went through so many things. I grew up a lot as a person, and it made me more humble, yet hungry. That’s why I’m out here working,” added Selby, who was slowed the second half of the season by a foot injury.

He’s 100 percent now, evidenced by his finishing two vicious dunks in the second of two-a-day drills Thursday. Selby, whose first basket at KU resulted in a made three against USC, also hit several threes, his last shot in the Thursday afternoon workout a trey.

“I think I’ve improved on everything. My speed. My bounce is back, my shot is looking good. My handles are good,” said Selby, quick to identify the one highlight of his KU career.

“Playing in that first game, that was my best experience,” Selby said of a 21-point outing against USC in Allen Fieldhouse. “I thought the rest of the season would (be as productive), but things don’t always work out that way. Maybe that injury and everything (nine-game NCAA suspension) needed to happen to humble me a bit, to make me more mature. Now I’m on to a new chapter.”

Selby said in recent days he’d noticed negative comments from some KU fans on Internet message boards regarding his decision to work out in Vegas and consider turning pro after a so-so freshman season.

“There’s a lot of fans that have said some negative things. I didn’t know that many KU fans would say that,” Selby said. “I don’t know what it is, but all it is doing is creating a monster. It’s going to make me work even harder. That’s what I like to do is prove people wrong.”

Earlier on Twitter, he said he wanted “to thank all the KU fans who supported me through everything and all the fans who (are) doubting me. I will miss the fieldhouse.”

KU coach Bill Self said he approved of the decision and wished Selby the best.

“Of course it would be nice to have a player as talented as Josh back,” Self told the Journal-World. “On the flip side, it gives somebody else the opportunity to substitute his minutes and perform at a high level.

“I think he can go first round. I think he has first-round talent. It depends how he does in the individual workouts (with teams).

He continued: “I don’t think this decision Josh made should surprise anybody. We thought it would be the result all along when he went to work out in Las Vegas. I think Josh thought it would be the result, and his family thought it would be the result, but it would not be right to make that final until he got some feedback (in Vegas). We, as a staff, totally support Josh’s decision, and we also hope our fans support it as well.”

Self said Selby battled adversity at KU.

“I never coached a kid that went through as much stuff his freshman year as Josh has — everything from a broken hand to a nine-game suspension to missing 20 practices and a stress reaction in his foot that limited his movement for the remainder of the season,” Self said. “He fought through it and certainly played through injury and did everything within his power to give our team the best chance to succeed.

“Right now, from reports we are getting, Josh is playing at a very high level. I wish Josh would not have had to deal with all those things, like most players don’t have to deal with them, but I do think through this he’s become better prepared for real life. Up until his foot injury, Josh was a guy who averaged 12 points a game and was just getting very comfortable for us. For him to deal with the injury was tough on him, but he feels good now and should be 100 percent and back to the explosive guy that he is as he works out for NBA teams.”

Selby said he would not be returning to Lawrence the remainder of the semester.

Self said KU would not lose any points in conjunction with the NCAA’s academic progress report.

“Josh made above a 3.0 (GPA) first semester and worked with his professors to complete his work second semester,” Self said. “I feel good about Josh leaving knowing he took care of his business the way that he should have taken care of it.

“Kids do leave before the year is out. If it happens, there have to be arrangements to finish coursework or do accelerated work.”

No change in policy

Self, who has had Selby and Xavier Henry leave KU after just one season, will be willing to continue to sign possible “one-and-done” players.

“The thing is, you don’t ever know,” Self said. “We have had one-and-done guys stay three years. We’ve had four-year guys leave after two. I think rules will change regarding that as well (players being forced to stay two years in next NBA bargaining agreement). The bottom line is, you never know.”

Future without Selby

KU has perimeter players returning in Tyshawn Taylor, Elijah Johnson, Royce Woolridge, Travis Releford and Conner Teahan, to go with newcomers Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe. “We hope to still sign at least another guy in the backcourt and one in the frontcourt. There are no negatives to this,” Self said.

Peer impressed

Ohio State guard Jon Diebler, who is working out at Impact Athletics, on Selby: “Everyone knew he was that talented, so there was always that possibility. He’s a great player, especially coming out of high school. He’s very vocal. He pushes guys. He’s a great guy, a cool guy.”

Joe Abunassar, owner and lead trainer at Impact Basketball on Selby:

“I see an extremely talented player, very, very good player. This is my 15th year of doing this stuff, and I’ve seen very few guards with the qualities that Josh has. I didn’t follow him all year, but I think missing all those practices took him out of rhythm. Let’s face it, Kansas had an outstanding team that was playing some really good basketball. Coach (Self) went with his rotations, and that’s the way it worked out. Kansas had a ton of talent and got into a rhythm while he was out.”

Vegas Seven magazine reporter Andy Samuelson contributed to this report.

Comments

Majestic42 3 years, 8 months ago

Exactly. I'm not clear on what he thinks he accomplished.

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 8 months ago

If grandma had had nuts we would've called her grandpa.

rgh 3 years, 8 months ago

I wish he would have had the courage to call coach Bill Self and not post it on twitter first. That kind of stinks.

hesshawk 3 years, 8 months ago

And that, friends is how kids communicate nowadays. They avoid talking directly to anyone and use Twitter, Facebook or text for everything.

Mike Wagner 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey Josh, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!!! (He was never KU material anyway...)

amesn 3 years, 8 months ago

Right now most of the projections still have Josh as a first rd pick. Maybe he is considering the possibility that his stock may take another turn for the worse if he stayed another yr. If so, I don't blame you one bit Josh. I've been to Baltimore and not even the bad parts. I am sure even a 6 figure salary would be greatly beneficial to you and your family right now. And if he ends up D-leaguing or in europe? Big deal...he is still getting to carry out his dream to play pro ball. The nasty things being said to him on twitter right now are embarrassing and I hope these people are Mizzou or K-State fans profiling as KU fans. Who are they to judge someone for following his dream? Sure maybe he didn't live up to all the hype but did Josh bring all the hype or the media? Josh would have been better off to go straight to the league out of hs but unfortunately he couldn't. I truly think college bball would be better off if they could go out of hs. Then they could focus on recruiting kids who will be there 3 or 4 yrs..or 10 like Brady ha ha.

kujmom 3 years, 8 months ago

lol, hype to the media, when did that win championships? Its good to know where you set your standards.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

If he's a first round or even second round pick...the NBA is pretty short recruits this year

riverdrifter 3 years, 8 months ago

Good-bye and good riddance. It was always about Selby and not the team. He didn't do a damn thing here. This isn't Self's first rodeo but I hope he learns from it.

CHEEZIT 3 years, 8 months ago

Not a basketball expert but how could any team take him in the first round? Who's he working out against in Las Vegas? Certainly not NBA talent because they are still playing. Having said that they take guys all the time on potential and pay them millions and these kids probably say "Ain't America Great"!

xfitter 3 years, 8 months ago

Just because he isn't playing against current NBA players, doesn't mean that he isn't working against NBA talent in these scrimmages. Diebler was a better Brady/Tyrel for Ohio State and is talking about Selbys performance. He's showing how he stacks against his peers that are testing NBA waters.. We all new Selby was a performer when he committed, he showed it in his McD's game. He may be showing some stuff that only Self and Co. were privy to over the last 9 months. Either way, its like I've said all along with this situation it would be nice to have another ultra talented guard but we have Tyshawn and Elijah(rock) to tie down the 1-2, with PLENTY of help behind them! I think with Naadir and Royce we will have good bench help in those positions as well. PLUS we'll have not one but TWO slashers to go to with Releford and Bmac. The front court is more concerning still at the moment but still not pressing, gonna be a fun team to watch!

7texdude 3 years, 8 months ago

The Josh bashing is just getting started and it's sad. Sure, he was a bust this year, but you guys act like Josh is the first KU player to leave early when he wasn't ready.

Cole was cheered at Sherron's senior day and he was the biggest bust in the NBA rookie class this year. Did Xavier make a big impact? How long has it taken Julian and Brandon to develop? And there are a lot of Heat fans who absolutely loathe Mario. And didn't the Heat just sign Mike Bibby because they had a problem at the point?

It isn't that big of a hole for the Jayhawks to fill next year.........unless Josh get healthy, devotes himself to basketball and becomes a star in a few years. That's probably a long shot, but it could happen. I don't understand why people are blasting him for leaving when Josh, Self and everyone said he was a one-and-done at the start of this year.

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 8 months ago

Cole went to a team that he didn't really fit on in OKC. He's playing quite well on their D League squad and will no doubt have a second contract, it is just a matter of finding the right team.

X has been injured most of the season. He was a starter before getting hurt.

Brandon has been in the Pacers top 7 since leaving.

Mario may be hated by the fans, but the management loves him. The Heat are a much better team with him on the court to distribute to the big 3 instead Bibby trying to make it the big 4. He'll play more once he comes back from his recent injury.

Ju is the only player you mentioned that makes sense, and HE graduated after leaving for the league. The parallel with Selby is certainly there, get the money while you can before you prove without a doubt that you aren't as good as everyone thought.

Mike Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope that Josh Selby proves the haters wrong. This town is full of people stuck in the mythology of KU basketball that feels alot like the movie, "Hoosiers". KU cannot recruit big names anymore so it gets the halfway there players who don't have the cajones to play it out in the big games. There is such a preconceived perception of championship brilliance in this town that I don't even know why KU even plays a regular season because it's homer fans already have the team in the Final Four when KU is slaughtering some unnamed team in the non conference season and nearly choking against Siena only winning with a huge Sherron Collins game that I witnessed last season. KU will have it's first mediocre season in a while and I will enjoy it next season. As a person whose lived in Manhattan and Lawrence and goes to three NBA games a season in OKC I watch the NBA to see the success stories like Cartier Martin whose played a couple seasons in the league after not being drafted. I remember the anger of KU fans when George Hill was picked by the Spurs over Mario Chalmers. Whose the better player now? You guys need to realize that a basketball world exists outside of Lawrence, Dick Vatale, Jay Bilas, and the rest of the crowd that supports your mythology. KU is good, but they won't be better until risks are taken that the homers won't support. I guess you can keep winning lots of games and choking in the tournament and hating on the NBA....this sure works doesn't it?

Don Whiteley 3 years, 8 months ago

So Self should have let Selby play more? You mean like he let Dr. Clank (Collins) play more last year when he shot 15% against several teams, including UNI? I don't wish the kid bad, but he let dollar signs over-shadow making a good decision. From his play this year, it was obvious that he's not ready. You don't think NBA scouts see that? If he waited until after a good season next year, he would have increased his value to an NBA team by 3-4 times what he'll get offered this year. But who knows, maybe like Dr. Clank, he'll be playing for some minor league or European team. I hear Lithuania is looking for a guard that can shoot 15%.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone know if he is coming back to class he and I are working on a paper for our history class?

rtwngr 3 years, 8 months ago

He was only stopping by to say, "Hi". He didn't have time to stay. Best of luck in the NBA. Hope you last. We'll be watching for you in the section that reads, "Jayhawks in the NBA". You'll probably be "did not play. coaches decision." Then gone altogether. I tell you what, let me get you Sherron Collins number. He can tell you what to expect.

vuduchyld 3 years, 8 months ago

Good luck, Josh! The vast, vast majority of KU fans wish you the very best!

purplesage 3 years, 8 months ago

What's his point average per game? About 8 in NCAA-I. That should be about 2 in the NBA, if he gets the chance. His head is too big; this is a kid who needed to develop, get his education, etc.. Coach Self would have helped him mature as a player as well as a person.

What about the terms of full ride scholarships being 1) Stay eligible during your time at school and 2) Lay out of anything for a year if you leave early?

tyler21 3 years, 8 months ago

He had his mom inform Self of his decision? He is that self-absorbed, he has to have mom take care of the akward phone call? Same immaturity we saw all year....but yeah, totally NBA ready. Ridiculous.

tyler21 3 years, 8 months ago

Consulting the parent is fine, not arguing that. But having them do the kid's dirty work and telling the coach that the kid is leaving is weak. Selby owed Self the respect of telling him of his decision, like a man.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

He's going to the NBA. The last thing that Selby is, is a man.

Nikki May 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree. But then I'm the mean mom. I made my daughter, as a 10u softball player who was trying out for a travel team, tell the coach she was not going to continue playing for them. She made the choice to not go with that team, she needed to step up. AT 10. As an adult, you need to do that stuff for yourself.

Josh, I wish you luck. Not sure that I agree that you should go, but since you are going, I wish you well.

stevej 3 years, 8 months ago

Wonder if Maeshon or whatever the moms name is will be calling his NBA coach and telling him that Josh will be late to practice cause he stayed out a little late. The KU fans owe him nothing. He provided and gave nothing to the fans. All he did was wear a uniform. Where are all the things he did in the community. How did he give back to the youth. How did he help anyone other than himself. The bottom line is he will make a few million out of the box and its up to him to sink or swim. He will survive in the NBA for a few years and get lost in the shuffle after that.

Danimal 3 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance! Actually, I'm just speaking out of hurt. However, I don't think anyone can deny that Selby underperformed this season, especially in the tournament. He's not ready for the NBA, heck he wasn't ready for the NCAA. If he can't make it through an NCAA season without several injuries how does he think he's going to make it in the league?

I hope he's successful in the NBA, but his KU career was a huge disappointment and frankly I don't see why anyone would take him before the second or third round. Does Self try to talk anyone into staying? This makes me think of Julian Wright all over again, except Julian was a better player and legitimate lottery pick, Selby isn't.

bstew34864 3 years, 8 months ago

You know I love the Jayhawks with all of my heart. Always have and always will. But, the crap I'm reading on this board is truly amazing and makes me wonder why any kid with nba talent would want to come here!

The negative comments about Josh on this board are unwarranted, mean-spirited, and woefully ignorant. Each of you critical of Josh should take a deep breath and have a moment of reflection about this kid...yeah that's right KID! He is barely 20 yrs old if that! And you guys are hammering him like he is a convicted felon!

Everyone who knows basketball knows that Josh has NBA talent. He is a 6'2" guard who won the McDonald's dunk contest for goodness sakes. His 3 point stroke is textbook and he can dribble penetrate with the best of them.

What happened to Josh is he got hurt! Broke his hand, served a suspension, and then fractured his foot. Not to mention being put on a short leash by coach self to the point where he didn't have a chance to find his rythym.

Yeah, so Josh is on the sideline playing behind guys he was destroying in practice and watching guys play from other teams that he had destroyed on the AAU circuit. If you were him would you come back?

You don't treat a kid like a piece of meat KU fans. Those of you hatin on Josh now are the same ones who were clamoring for him to come in and be the savior. Unbelievable!

Finally, if you want to blame someone there are two targets that I think are worthy. One is coach Self. I love coach self but there was absolutely no reason not to play Josh more once he got healthy. Sure he made mistakes, but that is going to happen when he is getting the feel back for the game. Instead he stuck with Morningstar...a good player but not one who is going to lead us to an NCAA championship. Josh had much more upside and was the kind of player who could have taken over the VCU game.

But, why didn't coach Self play Josh? Because he was more interested in having a gaudy record to appease (the other culprit in this mess) the jayhawk fans who anytime KU loses thinks the world is coming to an end. When KU loses fans question Self on everything, criticize the players, and long for the days when good old Wilt ran the floor. Well guess what? This ain't Hoosiers and this ain't the 50s. Change your attitude or watch your team go down in smoke...

b

stevej 3 years, 8 months ago

thannks for clearing that up for us Maeshon. At the end of the day the kid will make a boat load of money no doubt. Get off the hating bit, no one is hating Josh. We are entitled to an expectation for KU athletes. Josh did not come close to delivering that expectation. Is it his fault, NO. You were correct in saying this lies in the hands of the Coach.

martyks 3 years, 8 months ago

You know what? Here's a little perspective Josh, you CANNOT prove us wrong. You will always be known as THE biggest flop in the history of Kansas Jayhawk Basketball. There's no going back on that. Let's say you end up better than Rondo could ever hope to be. Let's say you end up being bigger to the NBA game than Magic Johnson and Kobe combined. It won't matter here. It will only underscore (love that word and it's double meaning!) under-score what I'm saying. You will go down in KU history as the most hyped and biggest flop of all time here. Good luck everywhere else you may go. I do not resent you or feel any ill will toward you. You can have a great career in the NBA or some European league. It's just fine. However, how can you be surprised and put down Jayhawk fans for not being that into you? You did nothing for us. Thanks for winning one game, and contributing to losing a few other, more important ones. Egomaniac walking. You have no place here so, if you come back and are ever introduced to the crowd, do not be shocked if there are more boos than cheers. After everything that was done for you, after all the patience of our coaching staff had to go through for you, you even cannot muster enough maturity to call Coach Self yourself? You have your mother make that call? That says it all. Here's a tip about the NBA... it's always a good idea to grow up before trying to make it there.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

this.

I pity Coach Self...he gets all these huge hyped up players and they don't do jack for the team. Hurts recruiting for sure.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 8 months ago

What's so bad about earning some dough in Europe as opposed to answering phones in Lawrence with a whatever degree? Most people commenting badly on Europe don't even know where it is, much less having been there.

dszymanski 3 years, 8 months ago

his contributions to KU were none and done. Didn't fit the KU mold and an embarrassment to his fellow players and the University.

DaBellaDaBall 3 years, 8 months ago

"I'm too a-sacred to call him, mom. You do it." Geezus.

I don't hate the guy. Go to the NBA and sit. Great. I want guys on our floor who are looking for the open man, who know how and when to help on defense. Josh was one dimensional-a pretty shooter...at least when they went down.

This stuff about his foot has become comical. Many posters say "it was his foot" and at the same time say he will go to the NBA and play. If it was his foot, wouldn't it make much more sense to come back another year with a healthy foot and be the dynamo these posters say that he his, thus upping his stock? Yes it would. But the problem was not his foot. He has to go to the NBA now, and FAST, before it becomes crystal clear that it was not his foot and he was simply a bust. Someone will take a chance on him and in time, he will be in Europe.

Finally, all this stuff about Coach keeping him on too short of a leash is a load of bull. Coach plays guys who DESERVE to play, based on practice and prior performance. I am surprised Coach let him play as much as he did.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong and he does well. I'm just glad he is gone. He was and is an immature primadonna. Hang out your tongue after your first bucket? Give me a break.

shotgun 3 years, 8 months ago

News Flash! Selby tires of playing with Self!

sad_lawrencian 3 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance!! This kid was bad for KU. I'm glad he's gone.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

I'll never forget that game when he ... um ... ahhh ... errr.... Oh shoot! I already forgot.

Can you retire a jersey that never even developed sweat stains?

BigJason 3 years, 8 months ago

I am truly disappointed that Selby has left i feel like he screwed us and wasted a roster spot that could have given more playing time to little and Johnson. Being one of the many fans who chanted we want Selby we never got him and as a KU fan and alum I feel disrespected because he did not come to the team banquet and then he let our jayhawk nation know about his plans via a tweet. If you do make it in the NBA or even the Euro leagues i hope the biggest thing you learn is heart and respect. To call yourself a jayhawk is in my opinion fraudulent. Even Henry had the courage to tell us in person and he showed up to support his team. I bought a Selby jersey because I thought you would be one of the jayhawk greats but know i am using it to line by bird cage. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Selby forget you.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 8 months ago

Selby thought he was bigger than the program. Unfortunately, some NBA team will reward him based on potential. Selby would have been a better pro had he stayed. Self is saying all the right things, not wanting to look bad to future recruits. At this point of time, Self is the program and he gets my support.

LeBo 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for coming to KU, thanks for leaving KU. You said that you weren't happy here.

stevej 3 years, 8 months ago

Take Maeshon with you, she can travle the D league with you. She can cook up some Campbell soup on the team bus

martyks 3 years, 8 months ago

You can try to put me down, say I don't know where Europe is, whatever. It doesn't change the time unalterable fact. Selby was THEE most hyped and THEE BIGGEST flop at KU of all time. If you can't argue with that opinion, shut up already, but I will give you the chance. Who is at the top of your list? Name one player in the history of KU who was more hyped and produced less... one. Just name one. It can't be done. I believe that Selby knows this now, but he really doesn't care. So, if he doesn't care, why should we? How can WE be the bad guys here? He was a great high school player though and was fun to watch on that level. He might mature someday and grow a game for the NBA, but come on... having his momma make that call? Pathetic. There isn't a word that sinks low enough.

theoljhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

WOW! Talk about stupid is, stupid does! Injuries, violations, and inconsistent play equal $$$'s in some eyes. Of course professional baseball pitchers are making millions posting losing records......I would bet that will be the same with Selby. He couldn't start for KU, but he thinks he is ready for professional basketball? Oh well, good luck Josh. We aren't losing that much in terms of stats, so we shouldn't be hurt unlike losing the Morris twins.

Nikki May 3 years, 8 months ago

In all honesty, KU doesn't play NBA style ball. I'm thinking of some of my favorite former 'Hawks. Jacque Vaughn, held the record for assists until Aaron Miles broke it. But, went pro and averaged like 2.5 a game. I know, that's one of Roy's boys, but Aaron Miles? He was amazing here, but no luck in the pros. Basically college basketball in general and KU basketball specifically are just not the same as NBA. Doing well here is not doing well there and vice versa.

4getabouit 3 years, 8 months ago

Good Luck Josh. If I had your talent I would go for the dollars. Smart move. Don't let the trolls get to you

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 8 months ago

7.9 points (37.3% shooting ave.) & 2.2 assists per game . . . and he thinks he's ready for the NBA?! He's just showing his immaturity. KU has produced some pretty fantastic players - having FAR better stats than Selby - that went on to do nothing but see Europe.