Archive for Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A family affair: Josh Selby, Tyshawn Taylor hot topics at season-ending banquet

Members of the 2010-2011 Kansas basketball team laugh as head coach Bill Self, not pictured, cracks a joke during the team's banquet Monday, April 11, 2011 at the Holiday Inn Lawrence.

April 12, 2011

The Morris twins are in agreement on which NBA team they'd like to play for

Marcus and Markieff Morris are in agreement on which NBA team they'd like to play for. The two spoke to reporters on April 11, 2011, after the KU men's basketball banquet. Enlarge video

Marcus and Markieff Morris talk about the impact KU has had on their lives

Marcus and Markieff Morris, who declared for the NBA Draft last week, talk about the impact KU has had on their lives following the KU men's basketball banquet on April 11, 2011. Enlarge video

Tyshawn Taylor, who arrived at the Holidome with a bulky, black splint on his right hand, and Josh Selby, who didn’t show up at all, provided two of the hottest topics of dinner conversation at Monday night’s Kansas University basketball banquet.

Taylor, KU’s junior point guard from Hoboken, N.J., had surgery on Friday to repair torn ligaments in the index finger on his shooting hand. It’s an injury that has plagued him off and on since high school. He’ll be able to resume pick-up basketball in late May or early June.

Selby, KU’s freshman combo guard from Baltimore, remains in Las Vegas working out at Impact Basketball as he decides whether to enter the NBA Draft or return for his sophomore season. Various NBA analysts have said he’s learning toward playing for pay next season.

“Josh is getting information through workout people in Las Vegas, trying to get some good feedback. We’ll have an answer the next day or two,” KU coach Bill Self said, indicating he was not upset at Selby for missing the proceedings.

“I talked to Maeshon (mom) today. That decision is coming real soon,” Self added. “He has done the work he needs to academically to pass his classes, but he’s been gone six days. If he’s going to come back, he’ll be coming back real soon. If not, he won’t. Certainly he will salvage this semester academically and pass his classes, which is good.”

Taylor seemed relieved to have had surgery on a finger that, according to Self, “dislocated almost every day (second half of season).”

“My ligaments were all torn up. I mean, it was jammed. It got to the point it wouldn’t jam any more. Every time I got hit, it’d pop out,” Taylor said, noting “once I realized my ligaments were torn, it was midway through the season. With six to eight weeks (of) rehab, it was too late to do anything about it. They cut me open (Friday). They tied some stuff together to make it stronger.”

He didn’t make excuses during the season, but now that he looks back, “I couldn’t shoot with my fingertips,” Taylor said. “I was using my palm a lot. I got my stroke down toward the end, but I changed my shot a lot. It didn’t affect how I dribbled, catching the ball or playing defense, but it was uncomfortable playing with my fingers taped all year.”

He said the finger surgery is one reason he elected to not test the NBA Draft waters.

“When you are at this level, in a program like this, there will be a thought in my head,” Taylor said of turning pro. “I definitely thought about it. I didn’t hear too much (about his draft stock). I didn’t have too much to go off of.

“It was me thinking I was good enough. I mean, it’s my dream. If I feel I’m good enough to be there ... looking at the draft board, comparing myself to those guys there, I think I can play in the NBA. My time is going to come. I’m not rushing it. I will get a degree, and I’m excited. We’re going to have a good season.”

KU sophomore forward Thomas Robinson said his decision to return for a third year was definitely a tough one.

“Just the fact it’s what I’ve been playing for my whole life. You feel you’ve got there already,” he said of positioning himself for the NBA. “I look at the fan support here and everything I have not accomplished. If I leave now, my legacy would not be how I want it. I want to come back to school and make a name for myself as a Jayhawk and try to improve to be one of the best bigs in the country.”

Also, “with the potential NBA lockout, there may be no training camps. I have one of the best big-man coaches right here. Another year with D. (Danny) Manning is huge for me. I want to come back and be leader of the team.”

The Morris twins, who are leaving KU after three years, are confident they made the right call. Self on Monday said it was a “no-brainer” for them to leave.

“There may have been some deliberation, but it was strictly emotional,” Self said. “From a factual standpoint, they needed to go.”

Marcus Morris said: “At the end of the day, it’s why I play basketball, to achieve my dream, to have things I never had and live the way I never lived before. It’s not about the money, it’s about the success. I’m happy having a coach backing my decision and not going against it. I feel the time is right.”

As far as the monetary part ... “It will definitely help my mom out. Some people can’t imagine where I came from (Philadelphia) and the places I lived before I came to Kansas,” Marcus said. “If you knew my story, you knew things I never had growing up. You’d understand why.

“I’ll be back here a lot. I feel I have to come see my little brother ‘T-Rob’ (Robinson) play. He is family to me, one of my brothers. I have to come back, make sure he’s fine, things like that.”

Marcus said his mom, Angel, likely would keep her apartment in Lawrence. “She’s taking care of T-Rob, too,” Marcus said of Robinson, whose mom died in December.

Markieff Morris said he’d like to be drafted, “by whoever would pick me and my brother. That would be my favorite team, the team I’d want to play for.”

Marcus added: “Even if I went in the second round and we went to the same team ... I’d take that.”

Several Jayhawks commented on Selby’s situation.

“I wish him the best of luck whatever he does,” Taylor said. “I’ve not talked to him much. I’m not sure what he’s thinking.

“Our guard play is good. With him, it makes it better. I think we’d be really good. I think we’d be good without him, too,” Taylor added.

Noted Marcus Morris: “I talked to him a couple days ago. He said he wasn’t sure. He’s weighing options. Hopefully he comes back, or whatever he does I hope he has good success at it.”

Added Robinson: “I talk to him a lot. When we talk, it’s not about basketball. Right now, he has a lot on his plate. I feel I know where he’s coming from. I’m sure Josh will make the right decision.”

JayhawkRock 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah also what people may not realize in regards to TRob and Angel Morris is that Angel is taking care of Jayla. It may or may not have been reported but Jayla is living with Angel Morris in Lawrence and thats probably a big reason as to why she would be keeping her apartment in Lawrence.

drnater 4 years, 6 months ago

Your source is who? From my understanding, Jayla, was staying with her father. T-Rob himself said it was the best place for her. I would think the twins would have mentioned something like that. However, pretty sure she's still in Washington, not in Lawrence. Angel is staying as Marcus stated, "Because she's gotta take care of T-Rob, my lil brother."

missmagoo 4 years, 6 months ago

I heard the same thing, drnater obviously missed the part of the article where Angel is keeping her Lawrence apartment. He must've not seen her at every game this year...

Jerry Collins 4 years, 6 months ago

It would be best for the KU program if Selby moved on.

John Kyle 4 years, 6 months ago

It sounds like he has. It doesn't seem like these one-and-done guys are really worth the trouble

gerald_bostock 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah, i kinda want selby to leave. never seemed like he enjoyed being here anyway

bigtex 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess classes at KU are no big deal to make up if your missing out.

rse1979 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I hear he missed the class on the difference between your and you're. So now he's going to go around the rest of his life sounding really stupid.

William Weissbeck 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe Self needs to do what the NFL does with their prospects - extensive psych evaluation. What's the difference between the likes of Harrison Barnes, Jarred Sullinger and Selby? Attitude! Hate to say it, also, but it helps to recruit kids who don't need to support their families. If the NBA wants to help out colleges instead of just the NBA, it would be to assist these kids' families.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, if all we care about is wins and losses, sure, but I like the fact that KU is also a place where some disadvantaged kids can come in and learn about more than basketball. I'm not a bit upset that the Morris twins have chosen to leave because they gave us some great memories. And I really liked the part about Marcus saying that he would come back. That means as much to me as winning.

rtwngr 4 years, 6 months ago

Josh Selby - You're not as good as you think you are and we KNOW you're not as good as you think you are.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

Speak for yourself. If the top recruiting places have Josh in the top 10 of players his senior year in high school, that's enough for me. Injuries and depth at guard limited his playing time. Here's the truth: you don't know how good he is, I don't know how good he is, but the NBA scouts sure as you know what know how good he is, and if they recommend that he goes, he'll likely be an instant millionaire.

I'd love for him to stay, but is that realistic?

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

i wasnt impressed...with Selby........he is no Jerod Haas....or Tyrell Reed....

DaBellaDaBall 4 years, 6 months ago

Not to pile on, but I will be so glad to see him officially gone. His "game' went away when he was forced to think, rather than just play street ball. He looked confused and tentative.

There is a lesson to be learned here: no matter how skilled you are in high school, it doesn't amount to squat if you are unwilling or unable to be coached.

It is pure conjecture on my part, but I can't help wondering if the kid thought he was a bigger deal than KU basketball. If so, he will hopefully get things in proper perspective and find a way to grow up.

stevej 4 years, 6 months ago

Selby is a distraction. He is all about himself and not a team player. He needs to go somewhere other than the great tradition of KU. To even think he is NBA bound is a joke. He will get eaten alive trying to hang with the big boys and if he gets picked up by a team he will be a 1 year bust then playing for a developmental league living on a bus in DesMoines Iowa. Then back to Baltimore hangin with his buds

Kristen Downing 4 years, 6 months ago

I am sick of Selby. Keep your fingers crossed that he does not get injured and KU is forced to take him back with all his new improper benefits from Las Vegas!

Scott Tichenor 4 years, 6 months ago

Selby thought he rode the bench this year... He'd best start getting his rear end in shape now because he'll need the callouses for the long pro year... this is assuming he's good enough to make the team. He couldn't make a great college team this year and thinks he's ready to step up a notch. That's a guy that's too full of himself to be of use to this team.

LHS56 4 years, 6 months ago

Give the guy a chance! He is only 19 and many many people are, and have been, telling him how great he is as a basketball player. What they forgot to work with him on is growing up as a young adult. I'm sure last year was a shock to him. He just wasn't ready for the 24/7 competition. Although he was great in the USC game I think it did more harm than good. Hopefully he'll realize he needs more time to a person and as a basketball player.

stevej 4 years, 6 months ago

As long as its not at KU! We need players that understand Team Basketball. We are fine without Selby.

Gadmi 4 years, 6 months ago

I am just really relieved we no longer have to watch Morningstar represent KU basketball. Off the court his arrogance, lack of integrity, and the degrading of women totally diminishes anything he did on the court. He always has and still thinks he is above rules, laws and just decent manners. I am not an outsider just spouting. Being from Lawrence I have watched this guy over the years and have had children of my own go to school with him. He has only gotten worse and the privilege of being a Jayhawk seems to have only encouraged his disgusting arrogance.

Mike Ford 4 years, 6 months ago

I love how the unknowing KU homers pile on people. The same experts who piled on David Padgett. KU basketball is based on a system setup from what i've observed for over two decades. KU recruits kids to build up. They can't compete with the Kentucky or Duke anymore so they get kids they can build up. The system here is responsible for making good players. KU didn't get Harrison Barnes, John Wall, or Derrick Rose, all of whom KU recruited. Heck, even back in the day KU didn't get Jason Kidd as they were recruiting Jarrod Haase. KU people don't like a player who is a leader to begin with. They feel like this is an affront to their system. That's why there's such an anti-NBA mentality around here. I like KU basketball but there's an unhealthy "Hoosiers" mentality in this place that refuses to acknowledge what others outside of KU see. Josh Selby should've gone to Kentucky or Syracuse or Maryland. He has talent. It just doesn't show in a 5 or 6 guard stable that KU has the luxury of having. If he goes to the NBA, I hope he proves the KU homers of Hoosier mythology wrong. he's shown this place love and has to put up with homers. Another piece of reality for KU homers, four year starter Aaron Miles was signed as a free agent and cut some years ago by the Golden State Warriors. Who was he beat out by you ask? a high school to NBA player named Monta Ellis who is now an NBA All-Star and whom Josh Selby has been compared to. Eat crow KU homers.

weegee 4 years, 6 months ago

tuschkahouma--I'm not sure why wanting our KU basketball players to play as part of a TEAM means that we have an unhealthy attitude. And I would say that we are doing just fine when it comes to competing with Kentucky and Duke. Are you knowledgeable about KU basketball over the years? Or are you just here to get in your shots?

Gregory Newman 4 years, 6 months ago

Its obvious none of you guys haven't even donned a high school uniform. That offense is not conducive to guard play period. Chalmers benefited from his dad. Self or his assistants don't have a clue on developing guards. Self may need to hire Jo Jo White or Darnell Valentine. Butler runs the same offense but the coach allows for athletism with the dribble-drive. When Brady took the initiative he was un-stoppable but it always appeared that he played with a bit and harness

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

KU fans sometimes write some pretty unhappy, overly critical stuff. Josh Selby is a 19 year-old kid who played less than half a season with a severe ankle injury.

I think that most of the criticism of Josh stems from the hype that he could not fill this year, so everyone dogpiles on a kid who didn't have much of a chance to play.

"Josh didn't meet my expectations, so he's 1) a selfish kid 2) bigger than KU, 3) a kid with a bad attitude 4) unable to play team ball." You get the idea. I'm not sure he played in more than a dozen games, and the unmerry band of overly critical cranks come out of the woodwork.

I also agree with T homa's thoughts above. We need to get over our notion of ourselves and look at reality. Mainly, we don't get the top kids. We only do so occasionally, so it's good that we can develop kids. All David Padgett did was make the last basket in Columbia and crush misery in their last game at the Hurt Center.