Letters to the Editor

Police lauded

April 11, 2011

To the editor:

I have been a restaurant owner and resident of Lawrence for over 30 years. Most recently, I learned not to take the people of our community, especially the fine members of the Lawrence Police Department, for granted.

On a Saturday night not too long ago, I was busy serving up dishes and chatting with customers at the restaurant. It was not until closing time that I noticed my car was not parked in its regular spot.

Around 9:50 p.m., I made an emergency call to the police. An officer appeared at the restaurant within 10 minutes of my call. He was highly professional, listening carefully to my account of the incident and taking detailed notes. Although he seemed confident he would find my car, my husband and I were both highly skeptical.

No more than a half hour later, I received a call from the dispatcher informing me that the police had located my car. To my utter astonishment and delight, I realized that I would be in possession of my car within an hour of reporting it stolen!

Although my license tag was stripped and some items were missing, the car itself was intact. The following day, a friend and I found the license tag and keys. The officer called and informed me he had found some items that had been missing from my car.

Of course, I did not want to have my car stolen. However, I now know of the highly skilled, effective and competent officers working in the Lawrence Police Department. Thank you for your service and dedication.

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 4 years, 4 months ago

Peace officers do lots of good things in their daily work, it is just seldom brought to the public's attention. I am pleased that this was. Douglas County has a great sheriff's office and Lawrence has an excellent police department. We are fortunate, as not only do we have great law enforcement, but we also have awesome fire and medical people to help us when we need them. Thank you, Lynn

cato_the_elder 4 years, 4 months ago

Outstanding letter from a long-time Lawrencian.

Bassetlover 4 years, 4 months ago

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad this worked out, and the police did a good job.

But, is a missing car really an emergency? I don't think I'd call 911 if my car was missing - I thought that was for things that really required immediate attention, like injuries, etc.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 4 months ago

All my dealings with the Lawrence Police have been positive. I remember in the early '90's I was playing in a band. We returned from a gig in the wee hours and were moving our equipment into our practice area. The police pulled up and questioned us thinking that we were removing the equipment. We explained what we were doing and thanked them for their vigilance.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 4 months ago

I was once arrested for driving on a suspended DL, which was all a paperwork mistake made by an idiot at the DMV.. that was cleared up on a couple of hours.

What I have to say is that even under that sort of dire circumstance, I had only the utmost respect for the LPD.

They were firm and a bit scary, but never treated me with anything other than respect.

They were just doing their job that night. (now I have less than kind words for the DMV who had to issue an apology for their screw-up)

It is important, but also easy to praise them when they help you, but to praise them when you are on the wrong side of the process should really demonstrate that they are true professionals.

wysiwyg69 4 years, 4 months ago

Why were the keys left in the car in the first place? Seems to me the owner was asking for the car to be stolen. This isn't the 1960s' or the 70s', you don't leave keys in your car!

ivalueamerica 4 years, 4 months ago

i have found nothing to support your presumption that keys were left in the car, I checked the police blog and it did not refer to that either.

Are you just presuming, making something up...or were you the thief and just let slip a clue as to who is guilty?

pizzapete 4 years, 4 months ago

But did they find the person who stole it? That to me would indicate good police work.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 4 months ago

I can't report any negative dealings with the LPD. It's good to hear they were professional and respectful and efficiently handled a theft; however, the KU police are guilty of unacceptable conflict-of-interest policing, and do not have a publicized complaint procedure, nor do they follow up in complaints or keep statistics on biased policing. The law requires this.They will file charges that haven't even been investigated based on someone declining a phone call.

Adding in an obvious amount of prosecutorial misconduct in Douglas County, also the result of unethical conflict-of-interest, Douglas County boasts a biased, abusive and southern-justice law enforcement system. Only promising a complaint to the bar put a stop to the wacko dishonesty I was subjected to by these people, complete with tampering of evidence, unconstitutional catch-22 legal violations, and despicable KU lies by the people who were persecuting me.

I know people who discriminate often do it unconsciously, but that is no excuse for the sort of brutal vindictiveness that happens when you call them on it. Stop it already with the labels, and remember it's disrespectful to patronize people, especially complete strangers, and violate decent social boundaries even if backward local social norms suggest the opposite.

Many people who bother others in public in Lawrence are obviously quite intellectually challenged and uneducated. They are the ones who deserve offensive stereotyping if anyone--presumptuous, unseeing strength without sight that makes you know bigotry happens due to inbred "cousin" genes.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 4 months ago

Have you contacted the Chief of Police at KU with your concerns? I'll bet he'd listen.

geoismeo 4 years, 4 months ago

While I am glad she got her car back and I have no beef against LPD, my motorcycle was stolen from my garage and it was never recovered. I got a call from the police about a year later and was excited that perhaps they had recovered the bike, but in fact they were asking me if I had found the bike. They wanted to remove it from their records. Sigh.

rodneyking 4 years, 4 months ago

She should have put a Club on the steering wheel to deter criminals. I know that clubs must work, because the cops in LA all showed me theirs.

Sean Rudisel 4 years, 4 months ago

don't forget dispatch!!! it coincides well with this letter, that it is National Public Safety Communication Officer (dispatcher) Appreciation week. Your calls for help, regardless of the level of severity, wouldn't make it to the street without them!