Archive for Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sheriff’s report: Alcohol contributed to Wednesday accident near Douglas County State Fishing Lake

September 30, 2010, 11:02 a.m. Updated September 30, 2010, 4:38 p.m.

A Baldwin City man was flown via helicopter ambulance to Overland Park Regional Medical Center Wednesday afternoon after a one-vehicle rollover accident near the Douglas County State Fish Lake.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said the driver, 27-year-old Willie Burtrum, was ejected at 4:20 p.m. from a Dodge Caravan that went into the ditch west of North 375 Road. The accident site is southwest of the lake in the southeastern part of the county.

Lewis said Burtrum was driving the van north in the 1800 block of North 375 Road when he lost control for an unknown reason. Two passengers, 34-year-old Tina Leffler and 10-year-old Hunter Leffler, both of Baldwin City, were treated at the scene.

Officers suspect alcohol contributed to the accident, which is still under investigation, Lewis said. He did not have information Thursday morning about who was wearing a seat belt but said it was safe to assume Burtrum was not wearing one because he was ejected from the vehicle.

A hospital spokeswoman said Burtrum was listed in stable condtion Thursday.

Comments

Paula Kissinger 7 years, 8 months ago

Journalism 101, George. KISS and remember that opinions are reserved for the editorial page.

tiredofcrazies 7 years, 8 months ago

Personally knowing this man's history, this is not his first time to drive drunk & wreck a car w/ a child. I hope the district court FINALLY gives him some type of real consequences. For the last 4 years he's just skated through the system having to serve probation & take classes. LOL! What a joke. I can't count the number of times he's violated probation but he always gotten a "2nd chance" or "last chance". AND the mama. What kind of woman puts her only son into a van knowing full well that her boyfriend has been drinking? It was her van, why did she allow him to drive? I hope there's something they can charge her with, minimum of child endangerment.

grimpeur 7 years, 8 months ago

I suggest you contact the DA, courts and the police instead of posting here where the noise:signal ratio is too high to allow your message to reach the proper ears. Law enforcement has a short memory when it comes to repeat offenders, especially motorized ones.

Fake traffic classes, fake probation, paying a fine to hide one's poor driving record--it's all got to end. What does it take to get these people off the road, and who will take responsibility for allowing them to continue to drive the next time they (almost) kill someone?

bburtrum1120 7 years, 8 months ago

Well as his sister I will tell you the reason he gets off easy is because the wonderful "justice" system you all have up there in KS is PATHETIC. He gets off because the highly intelligent people that get hired to do a job lose paperwork, dont file it on time and as one judge told him you simply dont have the cell space. Nice. By the way the first wreck with a child in the car was the mother of that childs fault. Of course since you "know" us you know what a high class person she is. Legally she should be charged but with your lovely legal system I doubt they do anything period. But since you KNOW us you already know what our family does and has tried to have done and you know that most of think they are both idiots but family is family.

kansasredlegs 7 years, 8 months ago

"Officers suspect" turns into "Alcohol contributed to..." Always thought it would be law enforcement to jump the gun, but I guess we can always count on the all-knowing LJW.

tomuchtalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Tiredofcrazies: I read this as they "suspect" so it hasnt been proven yet. How do you know that she knew he had been drinking even if he had. Maybe there are other underlieing issues that you dont know about. How do you really know him or her. Sounds like if you were really a close friend of the family like you put in your other post you wouldnt be bashing them like you are. As a family member I would really appreciate it if you would butt out!

alonensurrounded 7 years, 8 months ago

I agree.....you kinda remind me of when I was in school and played the telephone game. you take something, turn it into something more in hopes of starting something. Personally it sounds to me like you act like you have a personal grudge against the mom. Also....if you know our family, you know we may not agree with each other, we may fight, but you bet we'll stick up for each other when someone is tryin to start bs.....especially when that person starts bring up stuff with the kids.

tomuchtalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Thats right alonensurrounded.....Don't mess with the kids in this family or you might come out on the loosing end!

bburtrum1120 7 years, 8 months ago

Gues wat sum ov us drukin redneks we's can read!!!
Granted I'm only a 4.0 college student who has never been drunk in her life but I'll go with your description. I don't know who is in charge of the kids in the other family but as for my brothers kids my mother and I take care of them. Mostly her. Since their mother has no parental rights and my brother is a drunk. We do the best we can but guess what the system gets in the way. The people whose work it is too protect the children in a legal manner (ie Social workers) cant be bothered and they only want to keep the kids with their parents. Notice our kids were not in the car. They were in school then daycare safe and sound where they belonged. See we know my brother doesn't make good parenting decisions so we set limits on the ones he gets to make especially when he's drinking....again. So if you are going to be insulting people dont lknow what you are talking about and don't lump us all in together.

bburtrum1120 7 years, 8 months ago

okay that last line was supposed to say if you are going to insult people know what you are talking about! lol I had to answer someone in the middle of a thought and kept on typing!

verity 7 years, 8 months ago

Good on you and your mother for taking care of the kids and making sure that they stay safe and are raised in a responsible way. Thank you for that.

riverdrifter 7 years, 8 months ago

I wuz awaitin' on Py to come in with the proverbial baseball-esque 90 MPH chin music on this one. Well delivered, Py. Bunch of losers.

alonensurrounded 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't like the kids being brought in. What makes you assume Were rednecks? SO beause we stick up for family thats an issue. Maybe its offensive that the only reason "tiredofcrazies" made the account was to comment on posts pertaining to this incident. He's not doing this to comment about the issue, he's going to insult the mom. If he has a problem with her posting it on here where her kids have access to see it is not the way to go about it. Its offensive, sorry if you think its redneck to stick up for family. Mistakes happen, its our issue to deal with it. We don't have to approve of what happened, we aren't happy about the decision made. Nothing would have ever been said if they hadn't brought anything up about her kids. THEY have access to this, THIS situation affects them, and NO ONE needs to make it harder on them.

angelsunwall 7 years, 8 months ago

We all make bad decisions but when you make the same bad decisions over and over it is a problem and at some point people have to be held accountable for their acts. Everyone's luck has to eventually run out and most people only hope that a person or persons wake up before anyone is killed. This is definitely the time for everyone involved to wake up and take action and start making better decisions that will lead to healthier lifestyles. There is a time when a woman needs to choose what is best for her and her kids and this young lady is very lucky that everyone is alive and as a friend I hope and pray she gets the courage to take back her life and do what she needs to do.

tiredofcrazies 7 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't care less what Mommy Dearest thinks. For goodness sakes, stop worrying about her and protect the kids. Don't be so nieve to think they don't need protecting from her too. As the mother it is her job to protect her children, not to put them in situations where they can be harmed either physically, mentally or emotionally. IF she's such a wonderful mother, why would she continue to expose them to a repeat abuser? AND ... they had been together all day Wednesday before they went for that fateful drive. I'm very thankful her son was not hurt and his children weren't with them.

alonensurrounded 7 years, 8 months ago

No one claimed she was perfect, no one stated they approved of the situation. No one said she wasn't wrong. If you were close to the family you would know the whole situation, but instead you claimed to be "close to the family". NO one is saying he shouldn't have been driving, and she should know better, and she does. It was careless, that is more than obvious, but if you are really "close to the family" try HELPING the situation, instead of posting insulting messages that MAKES IT WORSE.

tiredofcrazies 7 years, 8 months ago

Theres obviously more than 1 family involved here. If I knew her family I sure would've been contacting you months ago ..... a year ago actually. Stop trying to blame me because I'm being honest.

BrianR 7 years, 8 months ago

I figured it was either alcohol or trans fats.

bburtrum1120 7 years, 8 months ago

For the record I don't defend or support either of them. I have A LOT of opinions about them both- for those of you who supposedly "KNOW" our family you know I cant be in a room with my brother for more than 5 minutes and her, well -lmbo- that is a WHOLE other topic. I just wanted to make sure some areas were completely covered. I think he has deserved every minute of jail time he has ever served and some they didn't make him serve. I think most of you had completely valid points I just figured in a supposedly educated town you would do it in a more mature manner. And Pywacket-- I totally agree with you I just take offense at being called a drunken redneck! My side of the family may be poor country indians but we are not redneck. The difference may not be noticed up there in the big city but here in Indian Country the difference is HUGE. Have a great week everyone! and why are these thing always anonymous? I didn't set mine that way on purpose just didn't dig enough to find how to turn it off!-Billie

tomuchtalk 7 years, 8 months ago

I am sorry that you maybe misunderstood my post. I am mearly trying tell tiredofcrazies that no one wants to read their rude posts because I honestly dont think that they get the whole story. If you only knew me and how I really felt you would not have called me a redneck. I do not drink nor do I ever support anyone who drinks and drives. As far as he goes I barely know him but as for her I know that her kids need her. What I think about her thats a different subject.