Letters to the Editor

Sidewalk space

September 26, 2010

To the editor:

I just read the story about the Lawrence City Commission taking up the issue of more sidewalk space being taken up by bars. My question relates to that but does not involve the bars.

I am sure that the ordinance that allows restaurants/bars to use sidewalk space designates how much space they can use. That is why all of them have railings of the same distance out from the front of the building. My issue is: Do the same rules apply to other stores?

What I am referring to is that the past several weekends (especially game days) there is at least one clothing/sports store that has a sidewalk sale. The problem is they take the entire sidewalk, leaving just a narrow walkway for pedestrians. They place large barrels by the storefront and then racks of clothes over the rest of the space to the curb. This makes it very difficult for more than one person to get through at a time (and much less if someone is actually shopping).

I realize on Sidewalk Sale day pretty much all rules are out the window, but does every weekend have to be a sidewalk sale? Are there rules about this, and who in the city should be enforcing them?

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 4 months ago

My guess is that a Letter to the Editor will not serve as a complaint form. The City staff will never see it, they spend their time perusing Craig's List: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/sep...

However, the City does have an online Code Violation Form: http://lawrenceks.org/pds/code_violation

somebodynew 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Did_I,

I will fill that out today and make sure they see it. I went down this Saturday and noticed several stores were now doing the same thing. Hope it gets clairified.

But, after the story in today's paper about rental enforcement, I am not too sure. Of course we are talking the treasured "Downtown" so maybe a different attitude.

geoismeo 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I noticed the same thing one day. It did seem that they were taking up the whole sidewalk.

John Hamm 4 years, 4 months ago

It's more than one day - between 10th and 11th on Mass. I've noted it here a couple of times.

John Hamm 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, wrong block - it's between 9th & 10th. Had a little more room available yesterday, Sunday, but still occupied far too much of the side walk IMHO>

SofaKing 4 years, 4 months ago

I've been tempted to accidentally knock over a clothing rack and fall on top of it, just to prove a point. If someone gets hurt, they might reconsider hogging the entire sidewalk.