KU places Phi Gamma Delta on interim suspension during hazing investigation

Fraternity suspended after student injured

Kansas University placed Phi Gamma Delta on probation for two years after concluding a hazing investigation in October 2010. The investigation followed an incident during which KU freshman Matt Fritzie was injured while diving into a makeshift pool at the fraternity house on Sept. 17, 2010.

Kansas University has placed Phi Gamma Delta fraternity on interim suspension as officials conduct a hazing investigation.

Marlesa Roney, KU’s vice provost for student success, took the action Thursday evening per university code.

“The university absolutely will not tolerate hazing of any kind,” Roney said in a statement. “Such violations of human dignity are always taken seriously and confronted immediately by this university.”

The university, the fraternity’s national organization and Lawrence police are investigating an incident that occurred last Friday.

Matt Fritzie, a freshman from Stilwell, suffered head injuries at a fraternity party while diving into a pool of water, according to police. The fraternity doesn’t have a permanent, in-ground pool.

Roney was not available for comment on Friday, but Jill Jess, a university spokeswoman, said the suspension meant the fraternity would be unable to participate in any university events or use university facilities for the duration of the investigation.

The investigation will be conducted by officials from Roney’s office. It could have five possible outcomes, Jess said. First, the fraternity could be cleared of any wrongdoing. But if a violation of university code is found, then the fraternity could face a warning, probation, suspension or expulsion, depending on the results of the investigation.

She did not specify how long the process could take.

“It’ll take as long as it needs to take to ensure a thorough investigation,” Jess said. “But we understand the need for a swift resolution.”

The fraternity is the first to be suspended at KU since the university suspended Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity in October 2004 following an investigation by the fraternity’s international headquarters into hazing allegations.

Fritzie was taken to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., but officials there said they couldn’t confirm or deny he still was a patient at the hospital.

Lawrence police Sgt. Matt Sarna said on Friday that their investigation into the incident is still ongoing. It is being treated as a medical emergency, and nothing of a criminal nature has been found so far, he said.

Tim Nunnink, a KU senior, helped re-establish the Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity at KU. He said his fraternity doesn’t haze at all, because of what it’s done to people.

“I think it’s pretty bad,” he said. “I think it’s something, definitely, that we need to keep a close eye on around campus.”