Letters to the Editor

Listen, thief

September 17, 2010

To the person who stole my 6-foot ficus tree from my front porch on Monday night: We won’t go into how it’s wrong to steal other people’s property because you are obviously beyond such silly morality.

This is simply a request to take care of my tree; I had it for 17 years and I’m rather fond of it. It will need re-potting soon, so please take care of that, will you? You might want to use a large, thick ceramic pot — unlike the plastic pot it’s in now — to make it even heavier and more difficult to steal. Make sure you have room for it in your home when the weather gets colder, as it doesn’t like temps below 45 degrees and will not survive the winter outside. Take good care of it, OK?

Thanks.

Comments

kansasmutt 4 years, 9 months ago

Lisa, you can hope the thief sits it up high on a shelf and it falls on thier head and they get terminated by a higher power. I have a friend who is a real witch and i will have her put a Ficus spell on the thief. Bad Bad luck will come to them. After that a new Ficus will come to you. Sorry for your loss. My mom had a Jade plant for 49 years.

nascar 4 years, 9 months ago

Lisa, Perhaps our trees can be friends together in their new location. My 20 year old potted plant, also in a fine plastic container, disappeared from the front porch two weeks ago. I'm sure it still had a few Christmas ornaments nestled in its inner branches and leaves. It had been out this summer for the annual commune with the sun and rain. Like you, I can only hope our old friends receive exellent care and attention.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

Your friend probably won't do that. What you do comes back to you three-fold.

BrianR 4 years, 9 months ago

You should offer it to Lisa. Unless, of course, it only has branches on the right.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with BrianR. I'll even come get it if you wish.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

If you really value it, and want it back, a trip to Texas may be in order.

Your first stop should be the George W. estate.

He probably stole it while he was here putting the blue-green algae in our drinking water & making Kansas lose their first football game.

rbwaa 4 years, 9 months ago

it's amazing how a LTE about a stolen tree can morph into a political discussion...

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

.....just following the example of our leader. He's hooked on Virginia Slims cigarettes become of George W. you know.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

That is strange...when I was young and magazines still had cigarette ads in them I only saw young white professional women. ("You've come a long way baby!!) I think that was their target; they may have actually been racist against African-American females.

Your argument just collapsed.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe he was trying to call Obama effeminate?

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

Well............................he has been known to be a bit of a diva from time to time; so that's the foundation of my 'Virginia Slims' jab.

Practicality 4 years, 9 months ago

WOW! Topekans are stealing our trees now? When will it end?

pace 4 years, 9 months ago

Such a creepy thing. I wish the police took theft more seriously. If one reports it, one usually get an earful about how they won't, can't, almost shouldn't do anything. An anti theft effort in this town would do more good than that attitude. A lot of thefts are done by the same hoodlums, they start stealing young, get by with it, then get caught, it is usually an easy off. At least a show of requiring restitution would be more useful than simply probation. Thieves turn to more advanced behavior. A strong involving the community and with the support of the police, against theft would be good. Pros work a neighbor hood but our police department doesn't track that (so they say) but it would help a neighbor hood to have a special heads up. We all should be vigilant, take basic measure, lock our doors and light our corners. be good neighbors but a focused effort through the police department would serve the community. Also on a personal note, I would like the insulting attitude that when these petty crimes are committed by fraternity or college kids they should get some special pass. It should be just as serious when a privileged person cuts wind as when a neighbor hood kid does.

lauriedoud 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry your plant was stolen, Lisa. What's the matter with people who believe it is their inherent right to take something that doesn't belong to them? Maybe my big, unusual, old Asparagus plant, stolen in the spring, is keeping company with yours and nascars. If aquaintances of the thief (ves) notice new plants on their friend's porch or in the house, and actually read this, perhaps we'll get them back someday.

lelly 4 years, 9 months ago

It's common for plants and whatnot to be stolen for flea markets, etc. Some one else on the board mentioned they had one stolen not too long ago as well. Maybe this type of petty crime has moved into our area?

Majestic42 4 years, 9 months ago

Or, (and here's a novel idea), we could realize that it's just a friggin' plant.