Letters to the Editor

Listen, thief

September 17, 2010

To the person who stole my 6-foot ficus tree from my front porch on Monday night: We won’t go into how it’s wrong to steal other people’s property because you are obviously beyond such silly morality.

This is simply a request to take care of my tree; I had it for 17 years and I’m rather fond of it. It will need re-potting soon, so please take care of that, will you? You might want to use a large, thick ceramic pot — unlike the plastic pot it’s in now — to make it even heavier and more difficult to steal. Make sure you have room for it in your home when the weather gets colder, as it doesn’t like temps below 45 degrees and will not survive the winter outside. Take good care of it, OK?

Thanks.

Comments

pea 3 years, 7 months ago

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myopic "3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded."

Majestic42 3 years, 7 months ago

Or, (and here's a novel idea), we could realize that it's just a friggin' plant.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll give you a hint... Dope dealer notices tree on front porch one day. Dope dealer then drops hint to one of his hangers on (customers) how much he/she likes that tree. Dope dealers customer steals tree at first oppurtunity, then trades it to dope dealer for more dope! Either chain them down, or put bright lights with motion sensors in and around front yard, or get a very large, well-trained guard dog that doesn't mind staying out at night.

lelly 3 years, 7 months ago

It's common for plants and whatnot to be stolen for flea markets, etc. Some one else on the board mentioned they had one stolen not too long ago as well. Maybe this type of petty crime has moved into our area?

lauriedoud 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry your plant was stolen, Lisa. What's the matter with people who believe it is their inherent right to take something that doesn't belong to them? Maybe my big, unusual, old Asparagus plant, stolen in the spring, is keeping company with yours and nascars. If aquaintances of the thief (ves) notice new plants on their friend's porch or in the house, and actually read this, perhaps we'll get them back someday.

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

Such a creepy thing. I wish the police took theft more seriously. If one reports it, one usually get an earful about how they won't, can't, almost shouldn't do anything. An anti theft effort in this town would do more good than that attitude. A lot of thefts are done by the same hoodlums, they start stealing young, get by with it, then get caught, it is usually an easy off. At least a show of requiring restitution would be more useful than simply probation. Thieves turn to more advanced behavior. A strong involving the community and with the support of the police, against theft would be good. Pros work a neighbor hood but our police department doesn't track that (so they say) but it would help a neighbor hood to have a special heads up. We all should be vigilant, take basic measure, lock our doors and light our corners. be good neighbors but a focused effort through the police department would serve the community. Also on a personal note, I would like the insulting attitude that when these petty crimes are committed by fraternity or college kids they should get some special pass. It should be just as serious when a privileged person cuts wind as when a neighbor hood kid does.

puddleglum 3 years, 7 months ago

when we rid the Earth of topeka....

Practicality 3 years, 7 months ago

WOW! Topekans are stealing our trees now? When will it end?

mr_right_wing 3 years, 7 months ago

If you really value it, and want it back, a trip to Texas may be in order.

Your first stop should be the George W. estate.

He probably stole it while he was here putting the blue-green algae in our drinking water & making Kansas lose their first football game.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 7 months ago

Sometimes I wish someone WOULD steal my 7' ficus. What a needy plant it is. I've had it for 12 years. Rescued it out of a bargain cart at Wal-Mart when it was a little baby. Lisa, if you're reading this, do you want it? Because we totally remodeled our kitchen in May and it used to sit by the big window and the designer said "lose the tree and let in the wonderful view".

kansasmutt 3 years, 7 months ago

Lisa, you can hope the thief sits it up high on a shelf and it falls on thier head and they get terminated by a higher power. I have a friend who is a real witch and i will have her put a Ficus spell on the thief. Bad Bad luck will come to them. After that a new Ficus will come to you. Sorry for your loss. My mom had a Jade plant for 49 years.