Archive for Friday, September 17, 2010

Kansas Turnpike traffic, construction creates major congestion near Lawrence

September 17, 2010, 4:51 p.m. Updated September 18, 2010, 10:08 a.m.

Kansas Turnpike officials Friday afternoon were urging motorists traveling through the Lawrence area to exit the highway at Lecompton because of heavy traffic.

According to an alert from the Kansas Turnpike Authority, by 4:45 p.m. traffic had backed up from the construction area west of milemarker 202.

A second alert from the KTA said that traffic did not start flowing normally through the construction zone until just before 9 p.m. Friday.

Earlier Friday, Turnpike officials announced that they had successfully switched traffic from the eastbound lanes to the westbound lanes so they could begin reconstruction between the East Lawrence exit and the Lawrence service area.

Motorists were urged to look for alternate routes between Lawrence and Kansas City or be prepared for lengthy delays.

Comments

nobody1793 4 years, 3 months ago

They really ought to suspend tolls during all this garbage.

Pete_Schweti 4 years, 3 months ago

I can't help but wonder who's still taking 70 when there's a perfectly good K-10 just a few minutes south of it. I quit taking 70 back when they reduced it to 1 lane westbound near the access to 435. Then a few months later, that bottleneck was reputed to be better, only in time for there to be a new bottleneck by the rest area where it went to 2-lane...between the two, WTF? Who in their right mind would pay $1.65 to put up with it? K-10 is a tragedy, but at least it's free and mostly 4-lane!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 3 months ago

wonder no more! you see, people who live near the west & north sides of Lawrence would choose to use the turnpike if they didn't want to drive through Lawrence (it can add 15-20 minutes). Also people who are going to the West or North sides of KC may want avoid driving through KC.

riverat75 4 years, 3 months ago

Will the south lanes be open before the ICE comes. If not someone will DIE. There is to much traffic to not have a bad accident. If that happens will the turnpike take responsibility for the deaths?

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

It's all part of the government's plan to thin the herd, riverat. They crash the economy, forcing us to look for job that involve commuting (hence, using their turnpikes so we have to pay to get to work) then they put said roads in a constant state of (dis)repair, which causes congested traffic and the inherent risk that comes along with it. To top it all off, they perpetrate a climate change which makes for hostile weather conditions and hazardous travel. Once you get into the wreck, you're shipped off to a hospital that can't help you because you don't have any health insurance. That's if the long overdue for a tune-up ambulance even gets you out of the traffic jam and to the hospital. All of this is an elaborate joint effort between the government, concrete companies and funeral homes designed to take our money and kill us off one by one. You can read about all of this and more in my blog at www dot soundergrounditsnotevenreallyontheinternet dot com backslash hellokitty.

The truth is out there, my friends, but you don't want to hear it. You can't handle the truth.

WHO AH!

Randy Leonard 4 years, 3 months ago

FYI-The turnpike is not run by the government. It is a private organization. It receives no tax money. The only government connection is the Secretary of Transportation is on of 5 members of the the board of directors. All of the other 4 are from private industry.

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

And, in case the powers that be decide my previous post comes too close to uncovering their secrets and censor my word, I've saved my soliloquy in a word document and will repost every hour on the hour. FIGHT THE POWER!!

Kathryn Toyne 4 years, 3 months ago

It is ridiculous out there. I got on at the Iowa exit this evening around 6:45 heading west and as I crossed the bridge - it was backed up both directions as far as I could see. Like a giant parking lot of misery. Boo KTA.

Alabamastreet 4 years, 3 months ago

To go east, I now go across the bridge to 24 then 32 to the Tongie/Eudora entrance. By doing so you avoid all the construction. Same thing going home.

BTW, for the person who recommended K-10, it is a mess right now going east. Apparently our transportation officials thought it would be fun to do bridge work on K-10 east of K-7 while the Turnpike is torn up, just to see how many cars they can back up on both roads. Idiots. I'm moving to China where the government operates better, and they care more about their people.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

So you won't miss China's next massive traffic jam. Ha! Nothing like not being stuck in a traffic jam for two weeks.

Randy Leonard 4 years, 3 months ago

I suppose you haven't heard about the traffic jam on one highway in China that has lasted for months. Some people have been trapped on the highway for days at time.

Alabamastreet 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes I knew, thus the sarcasm in my post.

kato829 4 years, 3 months ago

It took me 1 HOUR to get from 9th and Iowa to Tonganoxie lastnight. The people that chose to divert east bound off I-70 had NO IDEA what was in store for them on 24-40. I understand improvements, but when they cause more hell and havoc? There has got to be a brilliant mind out there somewhere that can schedule these improvements, and make it a little easier for everyone.