Archive for Monday, September 13, 2010

Sheriff warns of scammers posing as deputies

September 13, 2010

— A northeast Kansas sheriff's department says area businesses have lost thousands of dollars to scammers posing as deputies.

Johnson County Sheriff's Department spokesman Tom Erickson says the thieves have been calling businesses — usually restaurants — asking to speak to a manager.

The Kansas City Star reports the caller says he's a deputy and wants to get bail money for an employee of the business who's been arrested.

Officials say the caller provides an employee name, description and reason for the arrest. The manager is asked to wire bond money to somewhere outside of Johnson County.

Erickson stresses that deputies would never solicit bond money from anyone.

Comments

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 3 months ago

I worked in restaurants for 10 years. No manager I ever had would have bailed me out of jail, I would have just been fired for not showing up to work. There has to be more to the equation. Are these employees legal? Is there a threat of the business being exposed for hiring illegals? 'cmon, what's the real scoop?

WHY 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry that no one you work with likes you. I would offer to be friends but I have read your previous posts and would probably side with you managers.

fester0420 4 years, 3 months ago

bosses do it all the time. your just sucked.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 3 months ago

Well someday when I'm your boss, you guys will sit in jail. And by the way, you're fired...

WHY 4 years, 3 months ago

Alright boss but a policy like that is not going to make you more popular.

Tristan Moody 4 years, 3 months ago

What about deputies posing scammers posing as deputies?

Or worse, scammers posing as deputies posing as scammers?

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

yeah...what kind of business posts bail for their employees?

And who would actually fall for this.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 3 months ago

Larry, you are a good person. I think the gist of this article is that the sheriff does not solicit these bail bonds. Not only would this be very unprofessional, I think it would be illegal. You would think that anyone who has a lick of sense would not fall for these scamms, but then P.T. Barnum once said "There is a sucker born every minute and two to take him."

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 3 months ago

Uh..."Stoltenberg" sez "Are these employees legal? Is there a threat of the business being exposed for hiring illegals? 'cmon, what's the real scoop?"

The read scoop is that there are no employees arrested and someone is running a scam.

Got it??