Letters to the Editor

Iconic sign

September 3, 2010

To the editor:

I remember back, oh, 10 years ago, when I first moved to town. I chose to live in Lawrence when I got a job in Topeka. I didn’t know anyone, so I spent time going around town getting to know the lay of the land, getting to feel the vibes of the town. I signed up for a photography class at the Lawrence Arts Center. One of the first pictures I ever took was a black and white photo of that Lawrence sign at the Amtrak station. The sign spoke out as to welcome me. I developed that photo and enlarged it. It was the first picture that I hung at my new home in my new town. After that, it felt like I was really a part of the town.

I have always seen the sign as a symbol of pride for the town. When friends come to visit, it is always one of the first things I take them to.

I will be very proud to see this sign once again, on the Amtrak station, illuminated in all its glory, saying “Welcome to our great town! Take a look around, enjoy yourself — and stay awhile.”

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 3 months ago

"When friends come to visit, it is always one of the first things I take them to. "

Wow... is your life that boring that you think a visit to a sign is a good time?

I can see it in my head now... "Ok guys! I've got a special treat for you! I know you flew 1300 miles to get here and now I'm going to take you so see a sign that says the name of the town I live in. Exciting, right?"

jafs 4 years, 3 months ago

That's just mean.

You're not usually mean.

Lisa Rasor 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually, seeing the sign would be a very charming part of a tour of Lawrence. Don't be such a snob, you're not so "bug" yourself.

corduroypants 4 years, 3 months ago

So, now it's a new building that's ugly as sin. And make no mistake, it is ugly.

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

You'd have to take them to it. It's a safe bet they didn't arrive here by train.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't know about that being such a safe bet - the Southwest Chief stops here twice a day, once headed west to Los Angeles, and once headed east to Chicago!

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

And approximately a dozen people use the station every day. My goodness, what was I thinking, the odds are so heavily in favor of arrivees being train travelers ...

Eileen Jones 4 years, 3 months ago

It's a very cool backdrop for a photo, as some seniors at Free State High know because they took senior pictures there, which in black and white turned out very cool.