Archive for Friday, October 29, 2010

Lawrence attorney faces complaints about work; license temporarily suspended

October 29, 2010

Lawrence defense attorney Shelley Bock  looks over his laptop from his office in downtown Lawrence in this 2009 file photo.

Lawrence defense attorney Shelley Bock looks over his laptop from his office in downtown Lawrence in this 2009 file photo.

Related document

Formal complaint against Shelley Bock ( .PDF )

A longtime Lawrence attorney's license to practice law has been temporarily suspended, and he faces four complaints of professional misconduct.

A Dec. 9 hearing has been set for Shelley Kurt Bock on a complaint filed by the Office of the Disciplinary Administrator.

A telephone message left Friday for Bock, who has been a lawyer since 1979, was not returned.

In 2008, the Kansas Supreme Court suspended Bock's license for three years, but then allowed him to continue legal work under supervision.

At that time, the Kansas Board for the Discipline of Attorneys found that Bock had violated the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct in two cases by failing to do the work he was hired to do.

Since then, four more complaints have been filed against Bock.

In 2009, Bock was hired and paid to do the legal work to help a man expunge his criminal record. But Bock could not be reached for six months, according to the complaint filed by the state’s Deputy Disciplinary Administrator.

Earlier this year, Bock was appointed guardian ad litem for several juveniles but failed to appear at numerous meetings involved in their cases.

In two other cases, Bock also failed to do the legal work for people he was representing.

The hearing panel could recommend to the Kansas Supreme Court a wide range of punishments — up to disbarment.

Comments

memyselfand1 3 years, 5 months ago

I was refered by some people that thought the world of him, now they have no respect for him after the way that he treated me.

He took me for $200.00 and almost cost me the right to see my children by doing exactly what he is being accused of. I tried numerous times to contact him by mail, phone and in person. I couldn't even get back any of the legal documents back that I needed for my case. Truley a pathetic excuse for a lawyer.

papakeno 3 years, 5 months ago

And just curious, "perform a job", enough said,

TopJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

A lot of "good people" can't get their work done. It is still unproffesional to take money and not perform the job. No excuses are allowed. Do the job, or don't take the money-period.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Aw, this in a nutshell is what is wrong with this country. the liberal appologists are making excuses for incompetent services by same. I suppose it would be very un pc to expect someone to actually perform for money rendered. Jeez.

papakeno 3 years, 5 months ago

This is not right. He doesn't deserve this, nor his family. If you ever met Shelly you'd agree.

twobigones 3 years, 5 months ago

I hear from Brandy Sutton all the time..........she is over worked and not very ............whats the word for it...........LIKED.........even by her peers!

shleppy 3 years, 5 months ago

im no lawster but cant he hire assistants or take on a partner if hes too busy?

Gary Denning 3 years, 5 months ago

I've also known Shelley for a long time and believe him to be a good person and competent attorney who has over-extended himself. He probably needs to quit officiating soccer games and some other activities in order to direct more attention to his law practice.

Beelzebub 3 years, 5 months ago

Just repeating some of what's already been said here I know...but Shelley Bock is the guy you want representing you if you are ever in trouble in Douglas County. He's not practicing law to make a lot of money; he's doing it because he genuinely cares about his clients and wants to get the best deal for them. I don't know what may be happening in his professional or personal life that led to these problems. I was worried when I heard about to the problem in 2008, and these new charges really make me feel bad for him. Shelley is a good lawyer and a good guy, and I hope the members of the Douglas County Bar can help him, if possible, through this mess. This guy has been practicing in DG county for a long time, everyone in the legal community knows him (including soccer moms and dads) and up until recently he has enjoyed a good reputation. Maybe he needs some time off to get whatever it is under control. He should not be disbarred. Shelley represents those characteristics that make idealistic people get weepy when they watch Atticus Finch...only Shelley is real. He is compassionate and he is competent. Thirty years of practice ought to count for something.

scott3460 3 years, 5 months ago

I, too, wish to offer Shelly my best wishes and concern for his well-being. He is a good and decent man. It is up to the proper authorities, of course, to decide his legal fate, but I know there are many, many residents of the Lawrence area that have benefited from his skill, competence and essential goodness. Good luck, Shelly, you deserve a little.

mrbig 3 years, 5 months ago

How do you make a complaint about a lawyer's office? I would sure like to complain about Pendelton & Sutton here in Lawrence. They think that it's okay to not notify their clients that something is mistakenly in collections, and then wait 3 years while intrest is building at 20% to FINALLY inform you of the debt at all. Then, when you try to call with questions as to how a bill that has already been paid is in collections, they say that you have wasted enough of their time, and hang up on you.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

You don't hire an attorney, pay him/her, than hear nothing for six months including unreturned phone calls. That is not representation, that is theft. I have had experiences with paying an attorney huge sums of money in a civil matter then having the attorney do nothing whatsoever. Good luck finding an attorney willing to sue another attorney. This is the legal profession. Free money.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 5 months ago

A lot of lawyers in Larryville seem either overbooked or they just do the absolute minimum--expect them to work for their own goals and not yours too. Hope things work out well for this guy, but it's great to have the freedom/ free choice to just say"no" to the local shysters.

IndusRiver 3 years, 5 months ago

Well I don't know anything, but it does restore a little faith that he's got friends.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 5 months ago

I've encountered him in the courtroom. He's probably just failing to keep his caseload under control. Overwhelmed.

AS 3 years, 5 months ago

I see Shelley really has alot of you fooled!

UNIKU 3 years, 5 months ago

Shelley is a very compassionate and caring guy and I've always had respect for him and his work after having seen his handling of dozens of cases. It would seem that he simply became overwhelmed with caseload in recent years -- and perhaps was too proud to ask for help. I wish him the best and maybe this will lead to a new career of helping people in a different, less consuming profession. Good luck my friend!

GovJunkie 3 years, 5 months ago

Good lawyers return phone calls in a timely manner, make deadlines and keep appointments. Those that don't frequently get the opportunity to explain why they cannot do such things in front of a disciplinary panel. It's not rocket science. Gl

Deb Engstrom 3 years, 5 months ago

Shelley was guardian ad litem for 2 of my foster kids and did a great job. He made an effort to keep up with their lives and attended nearly all meetings (which is a lot when kids are in foster care). I'm sure there is more to this story than we are able to read and I hope everything works out for the best for him.

Maracas 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this about Shelley. He's a good man. I think he was just pulled in too many directions.

sunny 3 years, 5 months ago

All of the 'non-payers' speaking up I would imagine

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Good luck Shelly. You've been a special friend to our family. Hope this goes well for you.

macon47 3 years, 5 months ago

SOUNDS LIKE A RAILROAD JOB LIKE THE CITY IS GETTING ON THE DEPOT

A COUPLE OF WHINERS WITH BIG MOUTHS AND SOMEONE TO LISTEN, THAT DOESNT HAVE A CLUE

stream47 3 years, 5 months ago

I think a lot of the trouble is that Shelley is the only attorney on the indigent defense appointment panel who can speak Spanish, so his caseload might reflect this. He had a pretty huge caseload, and I think he might have gotten overwhelmed by it. If he gets suspended or disbarred, it's going to be really difficult to find effective counsel for Spanish-speaking criminal defendants in Douglas County. It'll be a disaster not only for Shelley but for the County as well.

kef104 3 years, 5 months ago

Shelly,

I know you are a caring and giving person, both professionally and personally. I would happily have you represent me. Likewise I cannot help but think more is occurring than the story reports. Here is hoping your personal life is going well. Take care,

somebodynew 3 years, 5 months ago

Good Luck, Shelley. I don't know what is going on, but I know you are a good, caring man and hope all works out for you. I would tell you to call, but you don't know my alias.