Letters to the Editor

Plenty of hate

October 26, 2010

To the editor:

I would like to offer an apology for misquoting Bill O’Reilly regarding his interview on The View. The quote was actually by Brian Kilmeade of the Fox Network saying “All Muslims are not terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims,” while he was defending Mr. O’Reilly’s remarks on The View. Thank you, Sarah Peters, for politely correcting me.

Other responses online were not so polite. I was referred to as a liar. I’m sorry I made an honest mistake having wrote too hastily while listening to the news story on the issue, but I’m not a liar.

I’ll also want to clarify other things in the letter such as the McVeigh and Nichols motive in the Oklahoma City bombings were more political than religious and 324 buildings were destroyed OR damaged in the blast along with the many dead.

I hope I was able to smooth some ruffled feathers, but the whole point of my letter was not to blame all Muslims for cowardly acts of terrorism. According to the National Counterterrorism Center, as many or more acts of terrorism are by non-Muslims than by Muslims. Don’t forget acts by anti-gay groups, white supremacists or the IRA. There is plenty of hate in this world to go around.

Craig Tucker,

Lawrence

Comments

Seth Peterson 4 years, 4 months ago

sigh here we go again - Ignorance! Moving on.

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 4 months ago

Hmmmm. . .I'm not sure that I would include the IRA in with your "conservative causes." Most historians and writers agree that Irish Republicanism is generally regarded as a "left-wing" movement, as many of the 19th and 20th century Republican thinkers were actually avowed socialists or Marxists, James Connolly included.

Slainte!

Liberty275 4 years, 4 months ago

"Don't forget acts by: PETA, Earth Liberation Front, the New Black Panthers."

One man's terrorist is another man's hero.

Jimo 4 years, 4 months ago

New Black Panthers?? ROFL

Code Pink?? chortle chortle

Acorn?? Please stop, you're killing us.

Turn off the propaganda network.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, that's right - according to Jimo, ACORN doesn't exist anymore.

Jimo 4 years, 4 months ago

No but there's a monster who hides beneath my bed.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Sierra Club as a radical/extremist/hate group? Surprised you didn't add the Audubon Society and Nature Conservancy.

Last I heard, the Weather Underground and SDS haven't existed for several decades.

How about the Clueless Clucks Clan (KKK), the Minutemen, the Hutaree.com group, the multiple militia groups, neo-nazi groups? These entities are still active. As little as I think of Tea Partiers, some of them seem to be innocent of the fact that some of these groups members are cozying up to them.

Tom, I do agree with you about some of the entities you listed as left-wing extremists being that stupidity and violence is counter productive. KlanParenthood I don't see as leftest - just as crazies in their own, as yet, undesignated category.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

Let's be a little sensitive to the environmental extremists for now.

They've been dealt a harsh blow since reports have been coming out that the Gulf is actually doing fairly well and has not been destroyed.

They'll get over it eventually and start eagerly awaiting the next man-made environmental disaster=$$$$.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

So you are in favor of dumping oil where ever and when ever? What a completely foolish stand. Really. Were it not for environmentalists, your wonderful bald eagle used as your avatar would be extinct. I'm sure you wouldn't mind one bit.

God Bless the Corporation!

geekin_topekan 4 years, 4 months ago

The poor lass who lost her husband in an alleged incident on Mexican waters with Christian drug cartels was on the TV this AM asking Obama and Clinton for answers.

The Christian terrorists who have hijacked the once livable border towns are not to blame. The American people need to legalize marijuana, quit shipping jobs overseas, invest in education and anti-drug programs. Problem solved. Why do people look to Obama for answers yet refuse to take any responsibility for their own country's security?

salad 4 years, 4 months ago

"The fact is, the left has many more radical/extremist/hate groups associated with them than far-right: PETA, Sierra Club, ELF, KlanParenthood, CodePink, Weather Underground, New Black Panthers, SEIU, Ruckus Society, Students for a Democratic Society, ACORN-----just to name a few. "

Lies...... rightwing terrorists FAR out number whatever falls inside your busted radar tommy-boy. Lets not forget that rightwingers actually kill people. All the groups you've listed are guilty of....vandalism. Yeah, that's right, they've destroyed your precious stuff. Not sayin' it's right, but there's no comparison.

Seth Peterson 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey, look! TinkyWinky put together a list of some of the most conservative countries in the last 100 years. Remember, all the atrocities which happened in each of these countries was caused by the conservative party. It is funny you point to China and claim it 'liberal' when it has been controlled by their conservative party.

Good boy! pats TinkyWinky

Don't forget to add the millions of deaths caused by conservative extremist in the Americas in the last 600+ years, and thousands in just the last 20.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 4 months ago

Eh Oh teenie weenie,

You forgot your source, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blac...

So teenie, in your book communistic regimes = left wing extremism.

Ok good to know you are coming from.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 4 months ago

Correction: Ok good to know "where" you are coming from.

Need more coffee!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

In the Ludus' newspeak, communist = conservative. What won't he think of next?

Seth Peterson 4 years, 4 months ago

Ah, Pop, we all know that Communists can be Conservatives, as can Socialists, Capitalists, Democrats, Republicans, Nazi's, etc., etc., etc.

Don't take offense to the fact that current conservatives are no different the previous conservatives - you can still be proud to be one.

labmonkey 4 years, 4 months ago

Ban organized religion. The "my God is better than your God" mentality has killed millions over history.

And please Craig.... you have your ultra-liberal hate groups too so don't leave them out... Greenpeace, PETA and Earth Liberation Front to name three.

On September 11, 2002, I worked for a chemical plant. We had extra guards and had to be on the lookout... not for Muslim terrorists, but for Greenpeace. They threatened to break into chemical plants across the country and cause havoc just to prove they could.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

The lumping together of groups like Greenpeace and the Sierra Club with groups like the Weather Underground is just silly.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Then the irony that he was arrested for littering.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

I know you are really fond of name calling, but I don't think you are allowed to call people "wheenies" any more. Rachael is likely to strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger if you do.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 4 months ago

Eh Oh Tinky Winky,

Sorry to hurt feelings No need for low self esteem I am only being me not mean

A Leopard can't change spots A Zebra can't change stripes A Human can't change brain What is left to do Have fun with you!