Letters to the Editor

Who cares?

October 19, 2010

To the editor:

OK, Kansas University football hasn’t been too successful, outscored by an average of 50 points the last two games. So who’s counting? Ten million dollars for coach Gill for the next five years. Hey, who cares? Thank you, Mr. Perkins! After all, we have a bunch of new players, new system. They are simply young, inexperienced, out of shape and unfocused, but, hey, all they have to do is learn how to block and tackle, sometime in the next five years, that’s all!

As for the fans that walked out of the stadium at half-time, if you want a winner at KU, next time buy basketball tickets, not football tickets, as we are all stuck with this “system” for the next five years. Perhaps by then Mr. Gill and his staff may be close to “turning this thing around!” In the meantime, if you want the same caliber of football as KU, we’ve got a couple of good high school teams, whose season tickets will cost a lot less for the next five years.

Curtis D. Bennett,

Lawrence

Comments

justforfun 4 years, 2 months ago

LOL at first glance I read "Thank you, Mr. Perkins! After all, we have a bunch of new prayers" Of course those woulden't hurt either. But hey "we have a great staff" -Turner Gill

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

Give Gill a break, Mangino was 2-12 his first year here. We knew going in that this was a "rebuilding" year.Ku has NEVER been as good in football as they are in basketball, why jump off the bandwagon now? Rock Chalk!!

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

But grammaddy, mangino didn't have a special football facility in his early years as they do now.

jafs 4 years, 2 months ago

On what basis does this coach earn $2 million/yr if the team is so bad? Assuming the above poster's numbers are correct.

Enoughsaid 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand how they can hire an unknown coach who was making 400K and give him a salary of 2 million. Where's the incentive to improve, just enjoy your new house and rest on your laurels and bank your money for five years.

I good thing about Gill, he doesn't care if you watch the team practice, cause no other teams are intersted in his plays. Last year everytime I watched Magino 's practices, I was asked to leave but I refused and call their bluff.

Enoughsaid 4 years, 2 months ago

rtwngr 4 years, 2 months ago

When Mangino got here the talent pool was scarce on the team. He left a pretty good stock of players when he departed. Turner Gill has not exhibited the ability to coach the talent to the level that Mangino had achieved. What is Opurum doing on defense? If Quigley was so great why didn't he start in the backfield when Mangino was here? Just questions. The truth is I have never lost a game from my living room.