Letters to the Editor

More words

October 18, 2010

To the editor:

Regarding Mr. Speakman’s letter of Oct. 13, I agree words matter. So let’s discuss the words “human life.” One scientific textbook after the other agrees that human life begins at the moment of conception. A new and unique individual is created with their own unique DNA. At 45 days after conception the child has every internal organ of the adult at various stages of development. There is a heartbeat that can be heard and brain waves that can be measured.

Let’s talk about the word “abortion.” This can be both noun and verb. The verb describes the action, right? Do you know how an abortion is performed? Did you know that the abortionist or their assistant is required to reassemble the body parts to make sure they were all removed? If you would like to discuss the noun, well that is the artificial cessation of a pregnancy. What would you call it when a human life is taken against their will? I think that qualifies as murder, don’t you?

“Just because you have the right to do something, does not make it the right thing to do.” — G.K. Chesterton

Scott Burkhart,

Lawrence

Comments

KSManimal 3 years, 10 months ago

"One scientific textbook after the other agrees that human life begins at the moment of conception."

Can you name any of those books?

Last time I checked, that sperm and egg were alive and well prior to conception..... The truth is life began once, about 3.5 billion years ago, and has continued ever since.

If the individual human life you save turns out to be gay, will you still fight for its rights?

notajayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Quite the straw man today. But since you decided to throw that in, suppose we could determine at that stage there was a genetic factor present that would make the child gay - would it be okay to abort it for that reason?

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

The point was that the right wing is generally anti gay rights, and a variety of social programs, so the anti-abortion stance as a "care about human beings" stance wears a bit thin.

rtwngr 3 years, 10 months ago

Here's a few you can look up, KSM, in case Scott doesn't have time to get back to you:

"Human Embryology", by Dr. Bradley Van Patten. "The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology", by Dr. Keith L. Moore. "Biological Principles and Modern Practice of Obstetrics", by Dr. J.P. Greenhill and Dr. E.A. Friedman. "Biology of Gestation", by Louis Fridhandler. "Pathology of the Fetus and the Infant", by E.L. Potter and J.M. Craig. "Atlas of the Body", Time and Rand McNally publishers. "New Encyclopedia Britannica" 15th ed.

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

That's strange. I looked at those books. All they say is that a distinct new organism is created and that - if it manages to be implanted in the uterine wall (odds 50-50) and continues to grow to maturity (odds 90-10) - a human being will (inevitably, it's not like a zebra is a possibility) eventually be born.

That's quite distinct from claiming that "human life begins at the moment of conception." A zygote ain't a fetus which ain't a human being.

notajayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, less than 2 hours to thoroughly read seven books. I'm impressed. How lucky you just happened to have them all sitting on the shelf, too.

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

Read for yourself (although I established long ago your poor reading comprehension skills). This stuff is the internet equivalent of a chainletter or urban legend.

This is on the ballot again this year in Colorado. Do you suppose it'll get even a third of the vote in this 'Tea Party waive' year?

Determined 3 years, 10 months ago

When I hear or read comments like the last line I often wonder about the people who write them. I'm interested in knowing if they were ever a zygote. If so, what are they now?

rtwngr 3 years, 10 months ago

Jimo, I have thought long and hard about how to reply to your blog and I think I have come up with a way to reach you. I have seen you reply on matters regarding Haskell and other subjects that affect the American Indian issues in society. I may be mistaken but I would venture a guess you are of Native/Indigenous American ancestry. So am I. My great grandmother survived the "Trail of Tears" from the Tennessee region of the country.

For years the Federal Government used words like savages and redskins to describe our people. They called us uncivilized. Because they were allowed to get away with this, this made us seem something other than human to those that might normally sympathize with our people's rights. We were marginalized as a people, driven off of our lands, enslaved on land we were unfamiliar with and then oppressed by the government. They were able to get away with this because they used words that made us seem like non humans. Our people new when life began and we still know. When one of our women was pregnant, all new she carried a living child. To deny these facts is to deny the truth of our people. Don't let the lies of society become your lies. You need to stand for truth and you know it.

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

I cannot recall ever making a statement on American Indian issues.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

From wikipedia:

The human life cycle is similar to those of other placental animals. The zygote divides inside the female uterus to become an embryo, which over a period of thirty-eight weeks of gestation becomes a fetus. After this span of time, the fully grown fetus is birthed from the woman's body and breathes independantly as an infant for the first time. At this point, most modern cultures recognize the baby as a person entitled to the full protection of the law.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 10 months ago

This one will never be settled.

You've got twisted extremists on both sides:

Tiller killers over there...and blood-thirsty "Planned Parenthood" over here.

Taking the law into you're own hands (and murdering an abortion 'doctor'), to me is just as bad as protecting child rapists.

Determined 3 years, 10 months ago

I think you're right. It will never be settled.