Archive for Friday, October 15, 2010

Jayhawks lay egg; Fans beat it early in lopsided loss to Wildcats

Kansas State running back Daniel Thomas leaves Kansas safety Olaitan Oguntodu in the dust during the third quarter, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

October 15, 2010

KU football vs. KSU 2010

Turner Gill addresses the media after the Jayhawks were humbled by the Wildcats, 59-7.

Maybe they were just trying to appease Kansas University coach Turner Gill and his 10 p.m. curfew. Or, perhaps, the KU student section simply had seen enough.

Either way, with about 8:10 remaining in the second quarter of Thursday’s 59-7 thrashing by Kansas State, the first fans started fleeing for the exits.

Thousands more followed, and, by the end of the third quarter, KU’s home stadium looked like the Memorial Stadium of old. The funny thing about it, though, was that very few of the fans who left were old enough to remember when Kansas football looked this bad.

“The game is played between the lines,” senior safety Olaitan Oguntodu said. “Your assignment is taken care of in practice, and our coaches make sure we know what to expect. It’s up to us as players to take on the challenge and play.”

What kicked off as a key clash between in-state rivals with plenty on the line turned into a coming-out party for the Kansas State offense — 460 yards, including 276 rushing — and a second-straight laugher for the Jayhawks, who have been outscored, 114-14, in their past two games.

“Everything we practiced, they did,” linebacker Steven Johnson said. “They just executed, and we didn’t. I don’t even know what to say. Coaches put us in position to make plays, and we just didn’t.”

It really doesn’t get any deeper than that. Despite having 12 days to prepare — five more than a normal week — and welcoming an in-state rival into their home stadium, the Jayhawks showed more signs of a team getting worse than a team getting better.

Asked if the extra time to prepare for K-State was good for the Jayhawks, Johnson was direct.

“I thought it helped,” he said. “I felt fine going into this game. I felt re-energized. But, I don’t know. I don’t know.”

Seven penalties for 76 yards was only part of the equation. There also were two KU fumbles, an interception in the red zone and a second-straight game with the offense scoring just one touchdown. Even that came at the most hopeless of times, with Kansas State already leading, 52-0, with 2:06 to play in the game.

“We didn’t execute, on offense and defense, what we needed to do,” Gill said. “The basic things, blocking, tackling, running and catching, throwing the football, executing the plays, executing what you need to do. It was so huge on defense to make sure we tackled well and created turnovers, and we did neither.”

Added receiver Daymond Patterson of KU’s miscues: “Some of the mistakes we’re making, you learn about not making those in pee-wee football.”

One of the best moments of the game for the KU offense, which finished with 331 total yards, came on a wild scramble from quarterback Jordan Webb in which he twice fought off being sacked and made a two-handed chest pass that Bill Self would’ve been proud of for a completion to Erick McGriff. Of course, even that play was not without its downfall, as starting lineman Sal Capra went down and was helped off the field. He did not return.

Four plays later, KSU’s Stephen Harrison — five tackles, one fumble recovery and an interception — scooped up a James Sims fumble and raced 85 yards for a touchdown that made it 45-0.

The Jayhawks (2-4 overall, 0-2 Big 12) gained yards and first downs throughout the second half. But after each one, the only thing that came to mind was that old joke about the tree falling in the forest and no one being around to hear it.

Following the loss, Gill stuck to his guns and talked about how his team needed to keep working hard, continue to get better and to find a way to execute better. That much is obvious. So, too, is the harsh reality Gill currently is facing.

“Right now, we’re not a very good football team,” he said. “That’s the reality of it at this point in time.”

Comments

DuckofDeath 4 years, 8 months ago

Horrible just horrible. This was another embarassing performance by our beloved Jayhawks. The worst part of it all was the lack of fight that we showed even very early on in the game. Is it just me or did we just seem to roll over after KSU took a 10 point lead, and most definitely after the fumble recovery that set up the 17 point lead. From my seat in Memorial Stadium Thursday night, I kept a close eye on Coach Gill, and what I saw was a coach with very little fire. At least with Coach Mangino, you knew if one of his players was not going all out he would be in that kid's facemask and probably make a youtube video or two. But you know, football is a different type of sport, not one for the weak at heart. In order to play football at a high level, one must have a certain predatorial instinct about them, or else they will be the one being preyed upon. I don't fully blame Coach Turner for his passive attitude, he is a replacement to a predecssor who was run out of town for being too harsh on his players. To leave you with a quote from Remember the Titans a movie that I am sure most if not everyone has seen, "Attitude reflects leadership." When I see a team with no fire, no emotion, and no pride. I must first look to the leader, and that is you Coach Gill. Being such a successful player, I have to think that you have some of that fire that is capable of leading good men to become great men. Don't be afraid to show some emotion, even if you lose, at least we know that you care.

Alexander Smith 4 years, 8 months ago

Well those who follow movie sayings as the real guide in life have issues. There are many great leaders that were passive and people would bow down to them President Lincoln, IKE, Bob Dole, and many more. Also, players came from a very mean and thoughtless coach who cared more about the sport and having his ego boosted rather than the students, Gill is trying to find his place and not using the tactics of a idiot coach before. I say STUDENTS not players, this isnt the NFL and its sad that people like you fail to see this. They are students first, not pro players. Having you seen Gill play in his days? most likely not so your last comment is invalid. One of the greatest QBs in NFL histroy Joe Montana was a silent cowboy and a calm one. Ever think the reason there is lake of spunk is because of the fans? NO most likely not. Its like sending the troopson the battlefield and they looking at the support from home and see no one waiting. Most of the drive of players come from the fans, you all keep putting down the coach and the team really doesn't motivate them to play. BUT then again, you all know better right?

fu7il3 4 years, 8 months ago

They had lots of fans until they were down so much they couldn't feasibly come back. There is a long list of problems with this football team, and the fans are about the lowest on the list.

Aaron Carpenter 4 years, 8 months ago

There is a reason that Tom Osborne, a man who was Turner GIlls best man, passed on him. He was not fit (not a mangino joke) to take over the program there, he was just too much of a players coach. So enter KU, land of whining babies, and bring him in to comfort and help everyone become better christians.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

Gill is not a leader; very simple too figure this out............

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

NO. My wife and I were season ticket holders through the Mangino years (until we started having babies), and I have no problem saying that those players NEEDED to see the fans leave that game. This is a good lesson for them: in most areas of life, there are consequences for failure. And that was a MASSIVE failure. Not just a lopsided score, and not JUST at home, and NOT JUST after 12 days of prep, but also against our biggest rival. NO. Every fan should have left.

ericp 4 years, 8 months ago

ha.....thats cute. Now if we all had furry little puppies to play with we could all just get a long.

Alexander Smith 4 years, 8 months ago

ericp, go back to drinking beer and your lazy-boy. its going to take time to rebuild. they are students, not there to satisfy your desires of football glory, which is obvious you couldn't do yourself.

Aaron Carpenter 4 years, 8 months ago

The problem is mouse that they are football players, and at successful programs the players are there to satisfy THEIR desires of football glory. I'm sure your one of the fans who sits in the stands cuddled in their North Face sipping hot cocoa and commenting on how nice the new uniforms look. They are students, but they are also football players, and those two are completely separate. Stop trying to insult people that want a winning team, that is the purpose of all athletic programs, wins. Enjoy your Yanni concert this weekend.

Steve Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

what ever cork, givem a warm bottle of milk to boot, that'l gettem goin LMAOVH !!! Oh and give gill a one way ticket to where ever...

Andrew Boyd 4 years, 8 months ago

i vote we give him either a one way ticket back to buffalo or back to Nebraska

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

He got lucky? Did he get lucky the other TWELVE times that he won that year? Are you aware that he brought us what history calls "the best season EVER" in KU football?

He was a jerk. He was also a winner. I like both coaches, but I miss Fatgino more than I like Gill (and I'm a Christian).

Kylee Manahan 4 years, 8 months ago

"Lew knew what he was doing"?????????????????????????????????????????????

Andrew Boyd 4 years, 8 months ago

Way to Screw us LEW. i would venture to say that Nebraska will with hardly an effort hang 100 points on ku. its funny to hear gill say he is here to "rebuild a program. i thought that we had a program built one that two years ago won an orange bowl. last time i knew that is a program that dosent need to be rebuilt just re stocked and maintained. but i must be mistaken

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 8 months ago

Huskers will not "hang 100" on KU and here's why.....

1) They are playing in Lincoln. That means, traditionally, when they overmatch someone they get everyone including the waterboy in the game.

2) They are playing against Turner Gill and Osborne will not want Pelini to embarrass him.

3) Martinez will probably only play the 1st half. After they are comfortably in the lead. When Cody Green plays, bad things happen to the Huskers. That could mean a closer game.

(by close I mean Huskers by 20)

kujayhawk7476 4 years, 8 months ago

Let's see, we've given up 114 points in two games and scored only 14. It is definitely possible that we will give up 100 points at Nebraska because they are in a national title hunt and will want to score as many style points for the pollsters as possible. I can hardly wait for that one. No more season tickets for me, I'm going to apply that cash to basketball tickets from now on. Good Luck Coach Gill.

newmedia 4 years, 8 months ago

Pathetic, sad, a complete embarrassment. Kudos to coach Snyder for preparing his team to play. The Hawks may actually have some talented football players but we will probably never know with this coaching staff. Can hardly wait for the Nebraska and Missouri "slap downs".

rtwngr 4 years, 8 months ago

Ditto, Corky. That dad' gum Mangino sure was a mean guy and there's no place for that in football. There is no telling how many player's feelings he hurt by saying bad things to them. It's a good thing we got a nice guy to run the team. Except about that part where there's no booty call after 10:00 p.m. If you ask me, it couldn't hurt at this point.

Steve Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Dude, he'll get to experience the "not winning" feeling alot, so he is good to go.. LMAO!!

JustNoticed 4 years, 8 months ago

I still say Roy Williams can kiss my ass.

toto22 4 years, 8 months ago

Unbelievable. I should have got off the train wreck in the 2 quarter but I decided I paid my ticket. May as well take my licking like a man. Since the stadium emptied out we moved down near the KU bench. The place looked like a morgue. Idle chit chat like you see near a school locker in between periods. Coach Gil as as usual with a blank stare trying to figure out what we missed in practice or perhaps not enough film on K State. Folks it is time Gil packs his bags and we send him on his way on the next train to Clarksville. Enough of the rebuilding theme. The building is crumbled, the foundation is cracked and you can't patch it anymore with crazy glue. Please pass the Tums.

Alexander Smith 4 years, 8 months ago

And you have coached a football team before? Sitting on your butt drinking beer and watching football does not qualify you as expert. I don't think so. The team has to rebuild and just because a coach is not out there screaming and treating their players like crap doesn't make them a good coach. Its going to take years for KU to get back into the game and moron fans like you have to get a grip and figure that out. OH, note for you and the others, THEY ARE STUDENTS here to make a future for themselves not to satisfy your lazy butts football cravings. GROW UP.

Aaron Carpenter 4 years, 8 months ago

Mouse, shut up man. Sitting in your hammock drinking tea doesn't qualify you as an expert. The players aren't here to challenge you to a game of scrabble or talk plato on a friday night in your loft.

supersonicf111 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm starting to think the mouse is Coach Gill's online moniker here on the LJW message board.

Those kids have quit, and that is his problem!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Remember this? " I just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy." -- Pedro Martinez, 2009

I think a "Bill Snyder's my daddy" comment is in order this morning.

Kontum1972 4 years, 8 months ago

i bet mangino was rolling in his BIG leather easy chair...last night watching the game

and it is not all Coach Gill's fault.....we need too hire the Gunney R.Lee Emery as a strenght coach..Huwah!

Thats_messed_up 4 years, 8 months ago

Please let Gill coach out the entire 5 year contract. Signed, Huge KSU Fan LOL

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Coffman was 15/16 passing with two pass TDs and three rushing TDs...KU is pathetic once again.

tolawdjk 4 years, 8 months ago

It's like we time warped back to the 80's.

If baylor and ksu can hang half a hundred on us this year, what is Nebraska going to do?

What will Missouri do?

I'm sorry, but the player base didin't change this much between years. This is squarely on the coach. All we have heard out of him is crud about how the "curfew rule" teaches respect. Well, I'm sorry coach, but a Big 12 season of giving up 50 points + per opponent isn't going to do much for respect. Two more games like that and the news will have articles about players rebeling, fights, trouble with the law. College football is no longer about giving a coach a chance...results are expected. There is too much talent out there in the player base to blame it on a lack of recruiting. Conferences like the WAC and MWC conference prove that you don't need a conference to attract players, you need a program.

Gill has proven he can kill a program. This is 1980's KU football.

Don Whiteley 4 years, 8 months ago

I hear KU is now has to increase the cost of Football tickets in order to cover the cost of the Clorox needed to take out the smell the football team leaves on the field after every game.

olddognewtrix 4 years, 8 months ago

Defeat brings out all the sour soreheads,who's comments are self serving and destructive. Gill needs time and support from fans as well as the administration.Fair weather friends are a dime a dozen--true supporters are always welcome.

supersonicf111 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess you'll be buying all of the season ticket here on out huh???

puddleglum 4 years, 8 months ago

yeah,
'twas a dark day in lawrence Kansas, when Ron Prince was fired...

squawkhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Me think$ that Turner Gill i$ way over paid for the product we are $eeing on the field. He make$ more money than Bill $nyder doe$ and i$ yet to earn a penny of it. A$ much a$ KU fan$ think that KU is $uperior to K-$tate in every way, I think their admini$tration make$ u$ look pathetic.

average 4 years, 8 months ago

Not only Gill, but the rest of his mid-six-figure entourage, too. Rebuilding? Fine. Give him time? Fine. For half the price (still far more than the cost of the entire axed men's tennis and swimming programs), fine. For the millions KUAC is spending? For the cost of tickets? Not so fine.

emaw 4 years, 8 months ago

K.........S,.........U...........Wildcats!

puddleglum 4 years, 8 months ago

EMAW...sounds best if you bray like a donkey (think HEE-HAW, HEE-HAW)

Kevin Randell 4 years, 8 months ago

You know....I understand both sides. Hell, if anyone has a right to gripe it would be me. I drive 4 hours back and forth to every game. So, I have logged in 1600 miles and paid a ton of money to watch my Jayhawks. But, I have chosen not to gripe....to much....lol. Let me just throw in my two cents...as a fan, an alumni, and as a football coach.

1. Fans- Players do feed off of fans. I will say this, even when I was a student at KU during Mangino's first year till now. The majority of fans at the games do not know how to cheer, or for lack of better terms, the cheers I hear are weak. I believe that if we, and yes that includes even myself, make it deafening when the opponents are on the field the players will feed off of our energy. I mean hell....how do you think the players feel when the biggest burst of yelling came when the Basketball video was played?

2. Players- I agree with a few comments I have read. It IS going to take time to get the ship turned around. Is Gill the guy? I don't know, but I am willing to give him a little more time than just one year. But, please understand, he is playing with the majority of players who were under Mangino.....the same Mangino who lost is last 7 games!!!! Losing and winning is infectious. These kids need to learn how to win, and be confident when we are 10 or 17 points down, we can still come back and win.

Finally, this IS my gripe. Over the past 10 months, I have seen, and read such a division between football and basketball fans on here. I am just going to say this....if you ARE a Jayhawk fan, then you are a fan of ALL Jayhawk sports...from softball, volley ball, basketball, to football. All of this bashing of the football team from the basketball only fans has really ticked me off. I hate to say it, but it has made me hope that the basketball team falls flat on their butts so that people will on here will quit worshiping them like the gods they are NOT. Look, all I am saying is support KU.....if you keep doing what you are doing, then you are no better than a Sooner fan....

Ok, I'm done. Have a great weekend everybody! Rock Chalk!!!!

1029 4 years, 8 months ago

We need to run this clown out of town Seymour Skinner style.

CheneyHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Is it Terry Gill or Turner Allen? I'm confused and am having nasty flashbacks.....

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 8 months ago

Except the difference is that Terry Allen had a winning program (75-26) when we hired him. What was Gill? 20-30 or something like that? The proof is all in the pudding.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

KU was slaughtered on that field.......what a crappy team...........why even play the rest of the games..........

I was at that game; and the fans kept shouting; Mangino..................

ldhammar 4 years, 8 months ago

how many of you wanted todd haley to be fired last yr? are you the same people who have jumped back on the bandwagon after a 3-1 start?how many players from herm edwards teams are on the roster now? a coach has to bring in his players for his system.do i want to win now HELL YEAH but i know changing coaches changing players takes time.support the players who are here NOW win are LOSE.things will change . you dont like the emotion our head coach projects on sideline you show up for the games and get loud and lets see what kind of response you get from players.when arrowhead rocks so do the chiefs!be proud of our university and show some class.i live in texas and travel to any close games i can and yes i was at waco and yes i was diapointed but never embarrassed to represent ku.dont be like texas fans come down here now and try and find a cowboy fan or a long horn fan.and by the way how many recruits read these posts ? would you want to play for people who dont support them . help recruiting dont be a bunch band wagon jerks!

fu7il3 4 years, 8 months ago

The Chief's are extremely lucky to be 3-1 against teams with a combined losing record. That is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Mixolydian 4 years, 8 months ago

Two things we all learned from this game:

1. Nebraska is really really good.

2. Georgia Tech is really really bad.

thanksforcoming 4 years, 8 months ago

"Ever think the reason there is lake of spunk is because of the fans?" -thironmouse Wow. I can't believe I read this. I didn't know the fans determined how well KU prepared the last two weeks. I know I sure didn't get invited to workouts or practices or any film session. What I saw was no passion and no fire for playing (and coaching) the game of football. It's an emotional game and it has to be played and coached with some sort of emotion. If the coaches aren't having fun coaching, players aren't going to have fun playing. It has nothing to do with fans. Football is a fun game and emotional game on the sandlot when nobody is there. It's fun and emotional at small schools and big schools and fun and emotional in big stadiums. It has nothing to do with the fans. Where is the passion and emotion to play the game from the coaches and the players? You want the fans to be in the game, WIN. PLAY HARD. That's all fans want to see. The fans can only cheer or boo. That's it. Fans don't get to win football games. Coaches and players do.

brett conrad 4 years, 8 months ago

The first thing that needs to happen ASAP is to hire a new AD. Let whoever that is analyse this football program and keep or get rid of the current coaching staff. If whoever decides that T GILL is not the right coach then make the change and move on. This is Big Lew's mess so if the new AD fires Gill and brings in his own guy thats their choice. Perkin's hired Gill as a last resort and his hiring decisions have been terrible. Lets put all our effort into hiring a quality AD to clean up this mess of a football program.

Kim Gouge 4 years, 8 months ago

we can oly hope Nebraska hangs 100 on the Jayhawks...maybe then Gill will be fired.

blindrabbit 4 years, 8 months ago

What's the latest on raising money for the East side stadium upgrade? We'll need the extra seats soon!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 8 months ago

It looks like the legacy of Lew Perkins is soaking in the bitter tears of KU fans. I knew this AD was a jerk when he started moving "home" games out of town and enriching the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs organization.

The ticket scandal that no one seemed to be aware of further clarifies the notion that Perkins was not the man for the job. This nameless, gameless crew that was left from the Mangino era is in serious need of a tough, talented coach. Mangino may have been tough on the kids, but I hope none of them decide to join the Marine Corps. Mangino may have whomped on the kids, but hey, they have life ahead of them and if they think old Coach Tub-o-guts was tough well, who will hold their hands when real life catches up with them??

sully97 4 years, 8 months ago

Last night's game is just a metaphor for what's happening to rest of Lawrence. First they go corpo, then they go broke.

rgh 4 years, 8 months ago

I blame Lew but not for hiring Gill. I blame him for the handling of the Mangino situation and not being able to hire a quality coach in turn. No one wanted to be accused of intimidating players on Lew's watch so he was forced into a hire he didn't want to make. Thus an early retirement and even earlier when the season began and the ticket scandal came to a head. Thanks for nothing Lew even though there were facility improvements under his credit.

Evan Ridenour 4 years, 8 months ago

I will agree we need to continue to give Gill a chance to get his product out on the field.

But... only if he voluntarily renegotiates his contract and takes a 70% pay cut. The real tragedy here is that KU hired someone for an asinine amount of money (and term length) who had no history of winning at any program much less a BCS program.

He might not be a bad coach in the end. But he is most definitely over paid.

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm at least glad about that last comment Gill made about KU not being a good football team. It's about time he said that. that's why I wasn't bummed out last night.

Of course, full of vim & vigor, I'm coming to Lawrence next week and have tickets to the A&M game. Someone tell me we won't lose by 50 points...please.

brett conrad 4 years, 8 months ago

Due to lack of effort of all players and coaching staff there will be no ice cream cones after practice for 1 week. Turner is MAD!!!!

CheneyHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't even think of asking for sprinkles, by golly....

Russell Fryberger 4 years, 8 months ago

Why didn't Gill say something about the obvious 12th man on the field and get at least one score called back? I'd say that could be counted as a score for that pathetic game. Oh well, there's always next week. Bill was chewing his coach because he saw it too. I don't get why it wasn't called. Did Gill give up and just try to get to the end faster?

CheneyHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm a lover, not a fighter. Geesh. We need some testicular fortitude on the sideline and in the game. Fight for a call. If the HC won't, nobody will. Gassed @ halftime, out of shape and waving to mom in the stands. Ugh.

Brian Conrad 4 years, 8 months ago

“Some of the mistakes we’re making, you learn about not making those in pee-wee football.” WORST COACHING IN AMERICA ! pee wee football coach could do better... no emotion .. that comes from the top. this is not Buffalo . who thought this guy should make more $ than Snyder??? Lew is the biggest idiot on earth!!! Next AD better remember the bread and butter around here is BASKETBALL BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!BASKETBALL!

Brian Conrad 4 years, 8 months ago

Mangino gets his pay back! KU pounded him and now the Karma is coming home..

Brian Conrad 4 years, 8 months ago

“Right now, we’re not a very good COACHING STAFF,” “That’s the reality of it at this point in time.”

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, the embarrassment!! I want to apologize to about six K-State fans who parked in the lot of the RLDS church, and began walking to the game. I was outside tending flowers, and jokingly raised the watering can and said "Repent!". All in good fun, the purple shirts and I all laughed. But now, I would like to go hide.... LOL

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

K State looked very professional last night.............looked like Custers Last Stand.....

giveitback 4 years, 8 months ago

I know what happened. KU showed up with the WRONG ball. K State flakes know they don't stand a chance against our Basketball team. Gil is new and next year will tell the story. B-Ball will tell the real story.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 8 months ago

This just in :::::: Kansas State has scored...again!

bkreed1960 4 years, 8 months ago

I was driving from Jo.Co. to Lawrence around 9 pm last night and I thought the game was over because I never seen so many cars drive east except at rush hour or after a basketball game. Yet the radio said the game was early in the 3rd Quarter and yet literally the game was really over at least for the KU faithful. This has been one SAD season. Wish it was over because we need to be put out of our misery!

shotgun 4 years, 8 months ago

Just be grateful you don't play Boise State. Go Bronco's! Go MIZ-ZOU!

classclown 4 years, 8 months ago

I have a theory.

Coach Gill is purposely making sure his team doesn't score. That way, there can be no resulting kickoffs. Which in turn, prevents the ever so classy KU fans from yelling "Rip his * head off"