Archive for Sunday, October 3, 2010

Traffic accidents stall Turnpike traffic

October 3, 2010, 11:56 a.m. Updated October 3, 2010, 9:01 p.m.

An increase in vehicles and a decrease in driving lanes made for a tedious afternoon Sunday when several cars were involved in an accident in the westbound lanes of the Kansas Turnpike near mile marker 210.

The accident occurred before 4 p.m. at the beginning of a construction zone near the turnpike service area east of Lawrence, and traffic was at a standstill while emergency crews worked. The wreckage was cleared by 5 p.m., turnpike dispatchers said, but traffic remained slow for hours afterward because of the high number of vehicles on the roadway.

Several events in the Kansas City area — including a Kansas City Royals game, a NASCAR race at the Kansas Speedway and the American Royal barbecue event — had put a large number of drivers on the road around the time of the accident.

The Kansas Turnpike just east of Lawrence is limited to one lane in each direction during a construction project. The limits are expected to remain until just before Thanksgiving.

Drivers who were able to get off the turnpike also encountered congested roadways and slow traffic on other routes, including U.S. Highway 24-40.

The afternoon accident was the second that snarled traffic on the turnpike Sunday. Before noon, emergency crews responded to a rollover accident on eastbound I-70 near the Douglas/Shawnee County line, which stalled traffic for a brief period.

The driver reportedly suffered minor injuries.

Check back with LJWorld.com for more.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

who cares what kind it was! we need to know the color!
from the color we can explain the reck. that's because color often communicates something about the driver.
was it: a red car--driver too fast/wreckless? a black car--driver too introspective and missed some important information? green--old car and driver was tired. etc.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

booklover 4 years, 3 months ago

Blue SUV. I already know what the SUV means... what does the blue mean. Thinks they're too cool to share the road? Wait that could be SUV too. In any case. I certainly hope the driver, passengers and anyone else involved are doing OK. Be careful out there no matter what you are driving people.

BL 4 years, 3 months ago

No way the roadways were clear by 5:00! I dropped off a friend at KCI at 4:45 and got home to Lawrence just before 7:30. Traffic was backed up and creaping if not at a standstill from last free exit on I-70 until new Tongie/Eudora exit (and beyond, I'm sure). I got off and thought I'd take 24/40 home from there...BIG MISTAKE too. After about 5 miles on 24/40, spent most of the rest of trip creaping along bumper to bumper at 5 mph because of the one lane construction and 3-way traffic light near Lawrence. But I'm sure it was just as bad on turnpike since it's one lane on it after the service area to Lawrence. Awful way to end a wonderful weekend!

Bob Forer 4 years, 3 months ago

There is nothing more aggravating than bumper to bumper slow moving traffic. But remember folks, we Kansans are lucky. Slow moving freeway rush hour traffic is a daily ritual in New York and LA>

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

And Phoenix, Philly, Chicago, Houston, Bejing, etc.

took_the_money_and_ran 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to say, bumper to bumper L.A. traffic is not limited to rush hour

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

I think it is great that people not knowing how to drive is getting to be front page news. In todays world, these people can read this late breaking news as it breaks, while they are driving down the road checking facebook and texting someone at home to tell them they will be late for dinner cause some moron in front of them stopped to quick and they where in the middle of typing a letter. Or, they could miss a whole paragraph in the latest novel while driving

4 years, 3 months ago

What a real sh**mess. Coming back from Kansas City took 2+ hours for what should have been a 45 minute drive, and that was only because we bailed at the Eudora/Tongy exit. Otherwise would have been 3 hours. Friends came back from KCI, took 2 1/2 hours.

We saw NASCAR folks (bumper stickers give it away) vomiting out the windows of their car on the turnpike. Not making that up. Groovy. People were pulling over to pee by the side of the road. What a total mess. And then only two lanes open for people getting turnpike tickets.

Kylee Manahan 4 years, 3 months ago

Went to that NASCAR race and took a special needs teenager to it.
Traveled from 435 to Eudora/Tongie exit at no more than 15 mph. Didn't have to vomit or pee. Isn't that amazing. Drove Eudora to 10 and had no traffic.

matahari 4 years, 3 months ago

I am curious to know just how long that construction has been going on, on that road! Seems like it's been forever and a day. Anyone know? Last time I took it to KC I had to pee so badly bacause of backed up traffic that I was tempted to exit my car and go right there. Hot day, car was getting hot, driving a stick shift. Took over an hour to get to the med center.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

booklover (anonymous) says…

---color doesn't matter when it is a truly eeeeevilll SUV. according to the greenies, all SUV's are evil, and they're all out to kill us.

probably the SUV took control and caused the accident itself: resistantialism, it is here.

the SUV could have been green with pink polkadots.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

Blue means: dark=credible/confident/dependable. mid to lighter blue=calm.

so, perhaps driver was too calm when an emergency response was necessary to avoid the accident, too confident that things would be okay?

but then, it was an SUV.

thomgreen 4 years, 3 months ago

It's amazing how they can tear down a McDonald's, completely rebuild it and have it open for business in a snap of a finger, but getting that whole I-70 construction done seems to be going on a decade (exaggeration). Also, who's bright idea was it to have 24/40 construction going on at the same time as I70?

Sharon Roullins 4 years, 3 months ago

We left KCKS about 5:45 to come back to Lawrence. On a good day, it only takes about 45 minutes with the one lane. I got home about 9 p.m. It was crazy. Some people knew the right lane had to merge but they didn't until the last minute. Unbelivable! Then some people were pulling into McDonald's to wait it out I guess. Then some brilliant idiot almost caused another accident by cutting in front of the car in front of him into the already backed up traffic heading west. I hope this situation gets resolved before the snow and ice comes.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

Deja: My husband drives on I-70 throughout the day for his job.... I hadn't heard from him that day and was curious. The vehicle he drives for work is less common then most vehicles so for me, the type would be more informative. It wasn't him however.

---yo Deja! it ... was ... a ... joke.