Letters to the Editor

Library Wi-Fi

November 16, 2010

To the editor:

When is the library going to get its Wi-Fi system working correctly again? It hasn’t worked well in weeks. Now that they have $18 million or so to spend for 100 or more new computers, wouldn’t you think they could at least get the current system to work correctly. I can go to any other Wi-Fi location in town (including parking on some streets or in parking lots) and get better service than I can get inside the library! No, I’m not latching on to “private” networks, only “public.”

John Hamm,

Lawrence

Comments

bruceflanders 3 years, 9 months ago

The library's wi-fi system is functioning. Our IT Coordinator checks the signal every morning with a laptop to make sure it's up and running. We wonder if the problem may be with this patron's computer. Our IT Coordinator notes that wi-fi access problems are usually a simple fix. Our wi-fi supplier, Sunflower Broadband, can help troubleshoot problems.

Bruce Flanders Library Director

OonlyBonly 3 years, 9 months ago

Not my computer. I can go to ANY other WiFi location in Lawrence and get great performance. Only at the Public Library do I have problems. You'll not I addressed this "excuse" in my letter. Stop trying to blame others for your problems.

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Pssst - Hey, Oonly - kinda' blew that whole "anonymous user" thing there.)

OonlyBonly 3 years, 9 months ago

In fact I'm using BK's WiFi as I type. Nope. It's the Library.....

byte_mechanic 3 years, 9 months ago

As Bruce mentioned, the Library does not provide any wireless access themselves, however SUNFLOWER has wireless access points located there just as they do for multiple coffee shops and restaurants downtown. There are signs at the doors as you enter stating "Wireless Internet Provided by SUNFLOWER Broadband" and there's even a splash page in your web browser when you connect saying the same thing.

So your accusation is flat out wrong, which I'm guessing John Hamm is just a Library opponent that has his knickers in a twist about the bond passing so he's just lashing out in any baseless way he can.

OonlyBonly 3 years, 9 months ago

Nope. John Hamm is a gentleman who used the Library WiFi for approximately two weeks before the system went "bad." Since then it's been almost impossible at any location in the library to connect. Yes, Sunflower does provide service now but I believe someone else did before them. There's also a LPLwirelessprinting connection there which sometimes works - but seldom. As for "lashing out" well I think the tone of my letter and comments here are far from "lashing out." There's a problem there and it's not being addressed. Plain and simple.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 9 months ago

What does someone else providing service earlier have to do with anything?

lawrencehatesbusinesses 3 years, 9 months ago

Now that the $18 Million tax has passed, expect the wifi to start working again, as well as the construction inside to cease.

pizzapete 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to go to the library to use the wi-fi. I found it so inconsistent and unreliable that I finally caved in and bought a signal for my home. I went to the help desk once after being frustrated that the system was down so often and the guy at the desk told me I should call Sunflower and complain, it wasn't their problem.

average 3 years, 9 months ago

It's okay in the morning when no one is using it but goes down to nothingness when it's actually used. Sunflower could brand that as "Palladium" wifi.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 9 months ago

Connections to wifi systems are often inconsistent. There could be a real problem there, or it could be that OonlyBonly has just happened to be there when the system was experiencing temporary problems that can be caused by any number of things.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 9 months ago

Does the library's system run on multiple formats (a,b,g and/or n?) If so, and your computer runs on one of the older formats (especially a or b) the signal may not be strong enough to connect to your computer in some parts of the library, depending on where the transmitters are.

If that's the case, it might be worth your while to get a USB wireless device for your laptop that operates on at least g, if not n.

Joshua Montgomery 3 years, 9 months ago

ToriFreak13 3 years, 9 months ago

The library has always had subpar service...and that is their typical excuse that the service is provided by Sunflower so call them. Great customer service...let's give them $18mil of public money so they can continue to gnaw on the hands that feed them.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 9 months ago

If Sunflower is the service provider, why shouldn't they be the ones to fix it, or at least trouble shoot?

And as I pointed out in a previous post, if your laptop has 802.11 a or b wireless, or even g, there very well may be some deadspots at the library, assuming they have one centralized transmitter.