Archive for Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Four high school students to compete in 2010 Miss Indian Youth of Lawrence pageant

November 16, 2010, 2:05 p.m. Updated November 17, 2010, 11:02 a.m.

Emma Spotted Horse is an 11th grader at Free State High School.

Emma Spotted Horse is an 11th grader at Free State High School.

Shelby Dalgai-Neagle is an 11th grader at Free State High School.

Shelby Dalgai-Neagle is an 11th grader at Free State High School.

Krystin Arkeketa is an 11th grader at Lawrence High School.

Krystin Arkeketa is an 11th grader at Lawrence High School.

Taylor Williams is a 10th grader at Lawrence High School.

Taylor Williams is a 10th grader at Lawrence High School.

The public is invited to attend the Miss Indian Youth of Lawrence pageant, set for Thursday evening at South Junior High School.

Four students will compete in several categories: contemporary talent, traditional talent, personality, evening gown, essay and answer to an impromptu question.

The event is set for 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the cafeteria at South, 2734 La. There is no charge to attend, and refreshments will be served.

Marlene Bad Warrior, bookkeeper at Lawrence High School, started the pageant three years ago as a way to promote positive awareness of American Indian youths, and to help students in the Lawrence school district better understand where they come from and where they’re going.

“A lot of Native American youth are very separated from their culture,” said Bad Warrior, herself crowned in 1998 as Miss Indian Youth of Flagstaff, Ariz. “A lot of them don’t know their language anymore. There’s just a big gap, right there. My primary goal was to get them proud of who they are again.”

The contestants:

• Krystin Arkeketa, a junior at LHS and member of the Kiowa and Delaware tribes.

• Shelby Dalgai-Neagle, a junior at Free State High School and member of the White Mountain Apache Tribe.

• Emma Spotted Horse, a junior at Free State and member of the Cheyenne Arapaho, United Keetowah Band of Cherokee, and Pima tribes. She also is known as Emma Washee.

• Taylor Williams, a sophomore at LHS and a member of the United Keetowah Band of Cherokee, Cheyenne, and Kiowa tribes.

The pageant is on Facebook, too.

Comments

haskellstudent_09 4 years, 1 month ago

bearded_gnome 4 years, 1 month ago

---Ms. Bad Warrior, thank you for organizing this! your quote here is 100% correct.
language is identity. language is cultural heritage.
you have made a powerful opportunity for these young ladies.

I know that the winner will make us proud. all of these young ladies are a gift to our community.

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

trafficbasketball35 4 years, 1 month ago

i would apprectiate it if you stopped talking bad trash on my girl

hilary 4 years, 1 month ago

powwow, we're talking about kids here. The LJW won't post deurogatory comments or hateful remarks about kids made by the public.

trafficbasketball35 4 years, 1 month ago

bearded_gnome 4 years, 1 month ago

PowwowPrincess, first, you're talking about a kid! and whatever you think you have against her, please don't put it up here publicly! second, anybody can post anything on here. whether your "information" is true or not, there's no checking and no defense.
third, even if your "information" is true, is it even worthy of shaming her throughout the community? she's signed up for this pageant. if you're right, maybe she's trying to change and become a better person ... only assuming you are right.
fourth, readers have no way of understanding the motives of an anonymous poster.

so I hope you've lerned something PP.
and, if you pray, please pray for this girl instead of publicly smearing her. your smear could result in bad stuff for life. is that worth it?

haskellgal 4 years, 1 month ago

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

I see. So pwwow would rather label the girls early and eliminate any chance of them achieving any sense of self worth and esteem.

Is this the Indian way?

unlikelystory 4 years, 1 month ago

Glad to see this happening -- good job Ms. Bad Warrior, I am sure it is a lot of work putting something like this together, and good job to each of the lovely contestants.

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

What happened to freedom of speech? Jeeze! Just so you all know, these are not hateful remarks. Really, How is worrying about who is going to be representing the community hateful. Also, my main point was that these girls hopefully understand the importance of wearing the crown and not just doing it for fame or to look good. I am entitled to my opinions/facts just as you are yours. My previous post did not mention any names so therefore, how was I publicly smearing someone. Also, it seems that everyone publicly smears someone on line somehow to let people know the way things are. I think it is a double standard for you all to be jumping down my throat about MY opinions on one of the candidates(SEE....NO NAME MENTIONED) Also, it is not that I have anything personally against the candidate I have been referring to, what I am against is the actions of her that should not entitle her to wearing the crown. It's a big responsibility. It is not a joke. I'm sorry, but this should have been expected in a pageant like this. To some, we take it seriously. My motives in posting is to let the COMMUNITY that really cares, understand what type of person is going to be representing the community. I am sure that, to those that really care, you would want to know what type of person is going to have that responsibility. So, just bite the bullet and deal with it.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

How many times have you worn the crown PP?

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

Actually, I have been an ambassador 4 times. Each time, I took it seriously. It was not a joke. I was not in it for the fame or to look good. I was in it to represent my community in a positive way. Too many times, I have seen young women who act so shameful, drink, smoke, fight etc...still wear a crown and make it okay for someone in a position like that, to act that way. With Lawrence being so diverse in tribes , cultures, they need someone who can understand this; the correct term is culturally competent. Oh yeah, I was also not stuck up towards other dancers at any time. THAT is not the way to be, especially when wearing a crown.

nativeyouthteam 4 years, 1 month ago

So it's safe to assume that being negative and hateful towards a a young girl wanting to participate in a positive event representing her culture was a part of your learning experience as a title holder, being as that you took them so seriously and all. By saying that someone shouldn't act like they are better than everyone you're doing the same exact thing by thinking you're righteous enough to tell other people who to be and how to be.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

ajingler: I know, right?

So PP has never done anything illegal, immoral, or remotely questionable?

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

Another thing you all need to realize is that when you do something like run in this pageant, is that the actions that these girls HAVE done in the past, ARE doing in the present, and WILL do in the future, reflect upon the crown bearer. So, in this case, one example would be acting stuck up towards other dancers....how would I word it, acting like you are better than everyone else(NOT the indian way), it will reflect on how you do things in the future and the way people see this individual. The main moral of this is that, their actions, past, present, and future, reflect on the type of person that they are.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

And always will be?

Why don't we just jet them off to some remote island or something?

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

Whatever you do, don't try to mentor them into something positive. That would require an effort on your part. Shun all of your responsibilities to Indian youth. Is that what an ambassador does?

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

As a former ambassador, I am not shunning. I am simply wanting the best for the indian youth community. Really, would you want a person who is "not good", leading our youth. I sure as heck don't. The responsibilities to the indian youth is to TEACH them so that they may teach their children. I teach my son, who is in middle school, to point something out when it is wrong. To address an issue when something is wrong so that others will know what they are truly getting, debating on, voting on, etc.... This whole ordeal, you are turning your head to the other side, just like what is done in tribal council, when the truth is being told. I hate to see what it will be like in 10 years if this keeps up. One thing to understand is that ONE person will always speak up on what is right, regardless of how many heads are turned. I guess I am that person. AN AMBASSADOR.

nativeyouthteam 4 years, 1 month ago

"The main moral of this is that, their actions, past, present, and future, reflect on the type of person that they are." And by this sentence and your negative comments you posted you are telling everyone that you are a negative person who likes to pick on young girls who are trying to strive for something positive in life. Maybe you should think about your actions in the PRESENT because its reflecting on the type of person you ARE.

powwowprincess 4 years, 1 month ago

My current actions are to HELP people understand what type of people we having running for this title. I am not a negative person at all, if anything you should be making that statement to someone else. What you need to understand is that COMMUNITY MEMBERS NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE IS GOING TO REPRESENT LAWRENCE. Oh yeah, as I posted earlier, which was deleted, a concerned community member already contacted the appropriate person regarding the issue of one of their candidates. AND it was appreciated in a good way for someone that cares about who the ambassador is and how OUR NATIVE community is represented. I'm not sorry for giving a damn(giving a damn would make me caring). So, in the end, my actions show that I am a caring person who cares about the Native Community. I am a positive person who wants to see a POSITIVE youth ambassador. I have morals in letting other Native Community members know. So therefore, my actions have been thought about.

hopefulandpositive 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey So...Lawrence Journal World...just to throw out an idea, since the article is about four particular girls and has their photos on here, shouldn't the comments be revoked, i mean they are all underage and some people don't know how to keep comments to themselves.

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

It's pretty rare that we'll enable moderated comments on a story. Usually we only do that when there are extreme circumstances with few facts to report and too much room for speculation.

I think we're doing a pretty good job of keeping things in check on this thread. If you see anything you think violates our Terms of Service, please bring it to my attention by flagging it for removal.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

haskellgal 4 years, 1 month ago

Dont know why my post was removed? oh well. Congrats to all the GIRLS running. You will all do great. Remember where you are from, who you are representing and be as good of role model for all the little girlies! LELELELELELELELELELELE!!!!

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

KrysArkeketa 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm very excited for this pageant! We've ALL been working VERY hard. I hope to see you there!

trafficbasketball35 4 years, 1 month ago

My Life Must Be Very Entertaining For This Powwow Princess To Be Blasting My Lifee On The Online Newspaper Site.. Yeah I Know I've Messed Up And Done Wrong. I Know I Can Be Difficult At Times But I've Never Once Been Stuck Up I Have Never Once Threatened Anyone On The Internet And I Really Dont Have To Prove A Lie Because You Obviously Dont Know My Lifee And I Would Appreciate If You Stayed Out Of It. Im Being As Nice As I Have Always Been Right Now. Im Just A Kid.! I've Changed My Ways And My Lifee For The Better. -Emma

haskellstudent_09 4 years, 1 month ago

Actually, I posted the first comment. I've been letting PP do all the work this morning even though I have No clue who it is, but kuddos for them! So that would be two of us. But just an FYI, you should be careful about what you post online on your facebook and myspace websites. THAT was my issue with you with the way you talked. It was VERY disrespectful. You may not realize it, but sometimes, if you say the wrong thing, then YES, people do get offended even if it not meant towards them. To be honest, I could not believe the trash that you were putting up. Should a princess talk like that. NO. Should that be taught to other kids that look up to you...NO. You also need to understand that when you want to hold a position like Indian Youth or from before, there are people that watch what you do, hear about what you do, etc. even your friends. It is the way the world works, and yeah you are a kid, but elders expect you to be more when you want to represent the Native Community. If you get chosen, I HOPE you can show to others that you are a good person like you say you are, stop posting that crap that is seen by others. Another thing to remember is what you write is also a reflect on who you are. So, you might want to change that. I HAVE SPOKEN.

indianyouth2010 4 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for your concern Haskell student. Any comments will be taken into consideration when selecting the next princess.

farmgal 4 years, 1 month ago

indianyouth2010 4 years, 1 month ago

I would like to thank the community members that have been in support of this pageant from the beginning. It truly is an opportunity to allow young girls to represent the Indian Youth of Lawrence. I would also like to say that any and all comments/concerns will be taken into consideration on the selection of the next Indian Youth Princess.

indianyouth2010 4 years, 1 month ago

Our new Miss Indian Youth of Lawrence is Taylor Williams.