Archive for Monday, November 8, 2010

Community meets at Central Junior High about proposed Dillons expansion

November 8, 2010, 6:30 p.m. Updated November 8, 2010, 8:33 p.m.

Traffic congestion on New Hampshire Street was a main concern that community members brought to Dillons representatives Monday evening in a meeting that revealed a plan for the new store on Massachusetts Street.

About 100 people attended the meeting at Central Junior High School, at which a plan was presented that would call for tearing down the current store at 1740 Mass., starting in early 2011, and building a new store that is 10,000 square feet larger. The project would last about 10 months.

Residents who live across New Hampshire Street from the current store say semi truck traffic is already an issue because the loading dock is on the back of the store and as many as 40 trucks make deliveries to the store throughout the night.

“They have to drive up and then back in,” said John Angermeier, who has lived behind the store for six years. “Imagine having that right across from your house, and when they idle, it shakes the windows.”

Among other concerns were parking for the store, which a developer said was currently a few spots short of city code. The design of the store was also an issue, and after seeing the plans some of those at the meeting said they thought the project needed to be improved to better match Lawrence’s downtown aesthetics.

“If this is to be abandoned in 25 years, what will become of it?” said Craig Patterson, an architect who has lived in Lawrence since 1967. “We don’t see what is said to be really invested in that design.”

Dillons declined to offer a rendering of the new building for publication.

Some residents offered suggestions for improvements to the store, such as a mural painted by a local artist on the back of the building, or a locally owned coffee shop inside the building instead of a Starbucks.

Developers promised other amenities inside the store in addition to the coffee shop, including expanded organic food offerings, a larger bulk department and better produce, which was well received.

“I may not be the only person here who shops only at Dillons, except for my fresh vegetables,” said Anne Patterson, Craig’s wife.

Despite some frustration with the plans, Dillons spokeswoman Sheila Lowrie was happy that so many people attended the meeting and spoke their minds.

“This store is a part of their community and we want their feedback to make sure that we’re meeting the needs of the community as best as we can,” she said.

Now it’s up to the Dillons developers to take these concerns into consideration and tweak plans before presenting them to the city, although some residents expressed concern that the plans were finished and the representatives were just seeking approval.

Lowrie said any further problems or suggestions about the plans should be funnelled through local neighborhood association presidents, who will then communicate them to Dillons attorney. Suggestions should be given by Thanksgiving.

Comments

Edward Coan 4 years, 5 months ago

Sushi is pretty high brow for people in that area.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

not really as many of the college students use that store and they, I would bet, are more hip than you. Thank you for trolling though!

snoops 4 years, 5 months ago

That's a really stupid comment. I'm sure there are a lot of people in East Lawrence who enjoy sushi. But continue to pigeonhole people based on where they choose to live. Hilarious!

deskboy04 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope that they still sell the chicken gizzards. They are fantastic. You can't get them at KFC.

EarthaKitt 4 years, 5 months ago

Why do I feel so ashamed for loving gizzards and livers? Has anyone come out to their families about this?

Gizzards and Livers - also a good name for a band.

deskboy04 4 years, 5 months ago

The Checkers gizzards are good. Don't you think that it is odd that they don't sell them at KFC?

James Findley 4 years, 5 months ago

I have not had the gizzards from checkers.. how are the livers... because I love the livers but Dillions sucks a D at making them well...

otto 4 years, 5 months ago

Let's complain until all the grocery stores in Lawrence close and then see who complains.

MustHaveSalt 4 years, 5 months ago

Freak Show Dillon's goes upscale. Now, this is a landmark event.

MasterShake 4 years, 5 months ago

It was a nice idea by Dillons, however they should stop the project before it ends up in years of litigation.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

So they'd just prefer that ugly store stand as is?

Fine.

I live right near the Dillon's at 6th and Lawrence avenue...bring that expansion over here!

Deb Stavin 4 years, 5 months ago

I live less than a block from Dirty Dillons, and I welcome the new store.

snoops 4 years, 5 months ago

I too live close to Dirty Dillions and am excited for the renovation! I love being able to walk to my grocery store and the increased selection this store will offer means I won't have to drive to the 23rd Street location to get specialty items.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

I say the income spectrum of the east side is quite broad. The houses people live offer no indication generally speaking.

Yes valid concerns were voiced and only Dillon's can address most of the concerns.

The new liquor store to the south and the apartments to the north stay.

Keeping it safe for Babcock residents should be a priority.

Overall the store rehab is good for Lawrence and the neighborhoods.

independent_rebel 4 years, 5 months ago

I almost agree with everything merrill said in one of his posts for the first time ever. I better go buy a lottery ticket. I'm disappointed he didn't paste one of his Bush/Cheney links to this one, however.

mcmandy 4 years, 5 months ago

I can see the reason for a lot of the concerns, but it seems like a good project. This Dillon's services a wide range of consumers and I think a lot of people avoid it due to the "ghetto-Dillons" stigma. Heck, I call it that!

Wasn't there a mention of bringing more jobs to this area of town too? I know that there is a lot of very low income housing east of Mass (though some very beautiful housing too!), so I would think the prospect of more jobs would be welcomed over here by many of those on lower income. Perhaps there voices aren't being heard?

I hope they expand their organic and health options with this project. I hate having to go to Hy-vee for my bulk basmati rice and quinoa!

bluerose 4 years, 5 months ago

Checkers' new bulk section is growing every week. i'm pretty sure i saw basmati and quinoa there this week! check it out!

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

Lord, you don't want Marci Francisco on your butt. My only concern is that N.H./19th St. intersection.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

And come on, the sushi isn't like the high priced stuff at Kobe Steakhouse.

kujeeper 4 years, 5 months ago

Way to bring up something useless Marci! Good to see the all the negative comments from the East Lawrence Socialist Movement... I would fall over in surprise if they would actually welcome capitalism and development... remember newer store = greater contribution to tax base = equals less property taxes on your home which could make it more appealing to a future buyer!

parrothead8 4 years, 5 months ago

What you fail to take into consideration is that a poorly-planned store, while contributing a lot to the tax base, will lower the value of homes in a neighborhood. People are much more concerned with the thousands of dollars they could lose on the value of their homes than the tens of dollars they could save on their property taxes, and their other major concern is the quality of life in their neighborhoods.

People aren't against the expansion of the store. Most of the suggestions fell into two categories: ways to make the store better, and ways to help the store better fit in with its neighborhood.

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

I think most of East Lawrence will benefit and welcome the larger store. I will, and I would miss Checkers if they closed for a year. Of course the West siders will be green with spite that we get something. I like star bucks, I have been around long enough that I still miss Raney's , I liked their cokes. The fact that they have to close for a year is just life. I know a lot of people who walk to that store. Thank heavens we have a bus system, that will help. I will try to remember to offer my elderly neighbor (even older than me) a ride or to pick stuff up. Some of you older guys should get over your hatred of the bus, some of you just can't drive that good any more. Like the guy in front of me on Iowa today. I was glad the truck missed you.

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

Does the person noted below EVER shut up? Umm.....Ummmm.....Ummmmm....Ummmmm....Ummmmmmm......Ummmmmm.....

Good grief.....does she even ever go into this store?

And to keep the record straight.....that person was, essentially, thrown OUT of the Oread Neighborhood Association Leadership in the October meeting when annual elections were held......again.....that's TWO years running now.....

Why don't she put her money where her mouth is and OWN a solar powered water heater or....gasp.....a Larry David like Priuus? How about NOT owning a central a/c system so as not to pollute with CFC's? How about NOT using the City water system and being fully reliant upon a cistern system.....trust me....such a system compels most excellent control of how much water a household uses. Good grief, you blockhead!

Again.....GOOD GRIEF!!!! hahahahahahaahhahaa +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

7:51 p.m. update

Lawrence resident Marci Francisco, who is also part of the Oread Neighborhood Association, has asked that Dillons considers implementing a non-idling policy for its semi trucks to further the environmentally conscious renovation.

slvrntrt 4 years, 5 months ago

Marci does not understand how diesel engines work. Poor Marci.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

I think she understands quite well that while they are idling, they emit exhaust.

Apparently it's you who misunderstands how they work.

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah? What does the car that "she" owns emits? How about her other household vehicles? She got a solar hot water set up? WE DO. but so what? So much obstructionism by people who don't even use this wonder store. Use the Merc....they only charge 1.6x what other stores charge and have the same diesel trucks making deliveries! what a hoot!

stlcards515 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe I'm the only one, but who cares...

So they put in a sushi bar, if it fails they take it out. It's not like they're asking for tax dollars to pay for the building. Let them do what they want. They're renovating a building not putting in a new commercial development.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 5 months ago

If the proposal meets all local codes and does not require any variances, the heck with community input, Dillons can do it without your quibbling. This is not a public structure, therefore, your input does not have to be followed or adhered to.

Dillons is going to propose a multi-million dollar improvement and not have all concerns studied. Get real, some the questions asked by those attending were absolutely ridiculous. You really think those little key-chain cards are just to get you a discount. Dillons knows more about you than your Momma.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

What about the folks living on NH street and the truck question?

If trucks are coming through the night, idling and shaking their windows, and making it hard for them to sleep, I'd say that's a very reasonable concern.

Nikki May 4 years, 5 months ago

Which is a problem, I am not going to say it isn't. However, Dillons was there when they moved in most likely. I agree that if something can be done, it should be. However, I'm pretty sure refrigerated trucks need to idle. In addition to the idling, the part that caught my attention was the trucks using private property to park. As a homeowner, you are responsible for your driveway. Added wear and tear from semis was NOT in the contract when buying. That should have been addressed long ago.

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

The neighborhood has to meet regarding replacing the old store with a new store? Are you freaking serious you freaks? Why do I live in this Gulag on the Kaw anymore?

I think odds are in DIllon's favor that the store will be standing in 40 years. If it's empty, wouldn't it be better to have a 40 year old empty building compared to an 80 year old empty building?

Keith 4 years, 5 months ago

"Why do I live in this Gulag on the Kaw anymore?"

I dunno, Topeka is only a few miles west.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

The meeting was called by the developers, not required by the neighborhood.

orbiter 4 years, 5 months ago

neighborhood assoc. meeting with developers = Lawrence as gulag

--You are so against citizens being concerned about changes in their neighborhoods that you can't even engage in actual hyperbole? You just have to knee jerk into incoherence?

You would have been a good Soviet grunt, so happy to let the powers that be do whatever they want. You with your mouth shut in front of power, except to lick their money bags, except to chastise fellow citizens when they question your party fathers.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 5 months ago

The leaders of "Depot Redux" should take up the cause and spearhead "Dirty Dillons Redux" and save this iconoclastic 1960s piece of _ Lawrence history. Perhaps even get some of that free grant (tax) pig slop tossed in as well.

justforfun 4 years, 5 months ago

Add a satellite Library and a few more bus stops in front and then we'll have something!!! Oh and i almost forgot a satellite homeless shelter next to the liquer store, lots of vacant store fronts for that. That ought to pretty much cover the the downtown aesthetics. Also a bike only parking lot, keep it green people!!

Well what the heck put the matter to vote and let the tax payers build it for Dillons, you know you want to!!!!

love2fish_ks 4 years, 5 months ago

Let me get this straight. The neighbor who moved into the house across the street 6 years ago, complains about the truck traffic to the loading doc for a store that has been at the same location for 50 years. And Dillons should lend an ear of concern because????

Mighty high brow

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

Because they have a right to the "quiet enjoyment" of their home.

If the way Dillon's has stuff delivered and loaded into the store interferes with that, it's a legitimate issue.

If the trucks do in fact shake their houses, it's a problem.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I have no interest in the mural either way.

Perhaps businesses which locate in mixed zoning areas should consider the impact on homeowners in the area - perhaps that idea is the reason that the developers called for a meeting with neighborhood groups and residents.

I don't want, or not want, a neighborhood grocery store, and I don't live close enough to this one that it's a personal issue.

The fact is that the law recognizes the right of people to the "quiet enjoyment" of their homes.

otto 4 years, 5 months ago

If this is the case -- we should close every bar in this town.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

lol-glad you said that, i was going to comment similarly...

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

oh crap i wanted to agree with love2fish_ks...well duh, if you move in to a home that is near a store or any business that has been there for a long time, whadday expect??? for the business to change just because you moved close by? geez that is like city people moving out to the country then b!tching about dust and cow poop smells.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

Legally, we all have a right to the "quiet enjoyment" of our homes.

It makes no difference that the store was "there first".

booyalab 4 years, 5 months ago

It makes a difference if you want to be semi-reasonable about it. What is Dillon's supposed to do for the guy that chose to live right behind their loading dock? Are they supposed to bring the shipments in via bicycle baskets? Or should they just move away and inconvenience the thousands of people who relied on them for basic necessities.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

When a business decides to open in a mixed use neighborhood, they should figure out how to do that without infringing on the rights of the people who live there.

akuna 4 years, 5 months ago

If you are in the legal right, then sue Dillons.

I don't live there.

But perhaps Dillon's would rather try to prevent future problems with the neighbors, and that's why they scheduled this meeting.

lily 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm all for expanding. I just hope they have better parking/traffic flow. I would agree the trucks can get a little obnoxious. Hopefully with the new building there will be a better way in and out for the semis. I am not looking forward to no store there for over 10 months!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

This is a perfect example of how a property that has actually been performing economic growth for about 50 years or more for Lawrence,Kansas is now expanding on a piece of property that has existing infrastructure more that's paid for. This is good for the taxpayer. Were some legitimate concerns brought up?....absolutely.

It will:

1. Convert the empty spaces in that strip mall to sales tax revenue

2. Create more long term inner city employment possibilities

3. Provide consumers with many shopping choices including competitively priced housewares

4. highlight energy efficiency .... apparently/to some degree

5. Encourage low impact travel ( bikes and scooters)

6. Keep grocery shopping in the hood

7. Hopefully provide local growers with an expanded market ( Price Chopper/Ball Foods cannot get enough. Their buyer spends many hours chasing down local products for their Hen House stores)

Now for the details.....as they surface.

Can Dillon's provide North Lawrence with a downsized store? They are also looking for a hardware store.... in the hood that is

usnsnp 4 years, 5 months ago

I live in east lawrence near Dillons, I do not complain about building a new Dillons, I think it is a good idea, but the design sucks. They put the drive truough Pharmacy on the New Hampshire St. side which will add traffic to the residential streets just east of the Dillons, the parking lot is situated so that it can also be entered off New Hampshire which will also add more traffic to the streets just east of the Dillons. Dillons puts a out door eating area on the Massichusets St. side, this eating area will be used by few people and for at least 4 months our of the year it will be unusable due to weather. Why not pur the drive through pharmacy on the Mass. St side were people could enter from a major road and not have to drive through a residential area to get to it. As for the Sushi Bar most people in East Lawrence could do without, they could replace it with a barbert/beauty palor shop, I am sure that the residence of Babcock would like that better.

Centerville 4 years, 5 months ago

The story implies that the goofballs carried the night, which reflects the bias that the east side of town has brought down on itself. Actually, it was, aside from some silly grandstanding, a mutually worthwhile meeting.
I missed the request for a mural. Nothing infantilizes a neighborhood like a home-grown, politically-correct mural. Please don't.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

Why, yes, the nerve of the neighborhood to attend a meeting scheduled by the store itself, for the sole purpose of eliciting their opinions about what they need/want to make the store work within that neighborhood.

These foolish sheep should have sat quietly and let Dillons/Krogers lecture them on what they should want, and how the perfect plans already in place will achieve that.

booyalab 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, no murals. Who are these people that latch on to the most trivial of liberal agendas and make it their life's goal to impose it everywhere? It boggles my mind that someone, sitting at home, heard there was going to be a community meeting about the new Dillon's store and thought "Hmm, now's my chance to make sure they get a mural. I must act quickly!"

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

What do you get your panties in such a bunch about murals?

Michael Bennett 4 years, 5 months ago

Is it my imagination or does this paper do nothing but bitch about business developement? Read this article again and there is not one word mentioned about the benefits of the new store including more full and part-time jobs. Read the article on the south lawrence trafficway and it is the same thing. Not one comment about the jobs created and benefits of improved traffic flow for potential business developement. Let's save the frogs and not change anything has to this papers motto. To hell with unemployment, families in distress and poverty, let's not make any changes.

usnsnp 4 years, 5 months ago

I moved into the a house behind Dillons 27 years ago and the problem with the trucks has god worse. In planning the new building Dillons has just moved the problem with the trucks from one corner of the building to the other corner, they have also put the drive through pharmacy and entrance to the new parking lot on New Hampshire St. thus adding more traffic to residential streets east of Dillons. I would have thought that a large corporation such as Krogers would have been able to design a building that fixed theis problems and not add to the problem. That is if they really cared about the community. If the example of how they have taken care of the New Hampshire St. side of the present building is any indication of how they will take care of the new building in a few years it will look like a dump again. Krogers had a chace to buy the old Salvation Army building a few years ago and they did not, know they have to try and shoehorm a new store into a space that is too small.

pizzapete 4 years, 5 months ago

40 trucks a night, I call foul. No way there are 40 trucks there a night. I live 2 blocks away and drive by there regularly. Also, you should have known that trucks drop things off there when you moved in. Don't move next to an airport and then later complain about the airplanes taking off and landing. I find it hard to understand how anyone might be against this proposal. Some people will never be happy with change I guess.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

It's not an airport-- it's a grocery store. And there's nothing unreasonable with expecting that Dillon's could lessen the negative impact of the store on nearby houses.

seriouscat 4 years, 5 months ago

Not that I'm not glad that they aren't building a new store....it's time. But I will miss the old "dirty Dillon's" with all its character.

I hope they can work out a design that improves rather then detracts from the neighborhood....much of that will depend upon you folks living in that neighborhood being active and adept at negotiating. Somehow I don't think that's going to be a problem!

seriouscat 4 years, 5 months ago

I meant "are building" too many negatives and not enough coffee!

fan4kufootball 4 years, 5 months ago

I find it amusing that everyone complains that there is no downtown grocery store and yet there is one on Mass just a little south of the main downtown drag. I use this store quite frequently and I think it is a great location for a grocery store. Yes - it could use some updating but overall it serves that community very well.

As for the noise from the trucks for neighboring houses....its like moving in by an airport and then complaining about the noise of the airplanes. If you want a grocery store in your neighborhood then how do you expect the food to it the shelves?

Note for Dillions. Maybe you should consider buying those houses when they go up for sale next time, tear them down and you would have lots of room to navigate those trucks and eliminate the complainers.

SofaKing 4 years, 5 months ago

I like Ghetto Dillons just the way it is, moldy raspberries and all. But if they do raze it and rebuild, should it really take an entire year?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

I suspect that if you lived across the street, the whining would drown out the noise of the trucks.

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah? How about those that live across from the GSP/Corbin dormitory air con units? They're special....they used their "influence" and had the City of Lawrence use money to put in sound abatment devices. Perhaps the cry babies need to cry to Momma?

Jake Angermeier 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow, one of the cynical little Lj trolls googles my name & decides to be a cyber bully for no reason other than their own smugness. How come I'm not surprised at all!?!! The other angermeier lives in Burlington and is a DA. What I do is none of your business. You sir, are creeping me out big time......

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't explain, nonetheless, why you CHOSE to purchase a house right next to a rather large super market that has one of the highest volumes of foottraffic into the store in the City. Regretting your choice to purchase? Discovering you cannot sell the property because other's have done their homework?

The proposed Dillons upgrade is fantastic. Bring it on. Heck...make it even larger......

Jake Angermeier 4 years, 5 months ago

Do their homework?

Go to every single Dillon's store in town and take a look at the property layout. They are all the same. Take a close look at the back and imagine how a semi maneuvers into the dock. Semis pull into the lot from a major street ( 6th street, 23rd street....), drive around to the back of the store on their property where they can back up to the loading dock on ( again) their property and not congest a public street. There is also a large fence or retaining wall.

Now go behind Mass. st. Dillon's. For a semi to even get to the dock, they must enter from either 19th & N.H. (which has a roundabout and no traffic light) or 17th & N.H. ( which has a roundabout so small that on noumerous occasions I've hopped the curb with my car, and we talking about SEMIS here) onto a 2 lane street where they block up ENTIRE road backing in to that dinky little dock. And yes, when there are two of them vying for one loading dock, they park on our street idiling, which in that case you better have earplugs. No law broken there so i'll stop whining bozo.......... oh wait, doesn't the city have a noise ordinance!?!!

I am all for the new Dillion's. It just makes more sense to have the semis come in and out via mass. st. & have room enough in the back of the building for semis to back up (on Dillon's property), idle, not congest my street, unload, etc. Put up a fence. JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH EVERY OTHER DILLON'S IN TOWN.

Don't need stranger's to tell me I bought a house behind a store with a serious design flaw.

Alceste, I took your advice & did cry to my momma. She's a lawyer.

Let me ask you all a question then; if you were building a giant store, wouldn't you want to make it easier for your vendors with giant semi's to have them come in from a four lane road..........or a two-lane road with a tiny roundabout and not so much as a traffic light?

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

....But you still didn't care to share the thought process explaining why, with a degree of temerity I might opine, you chose to purchase a house right next to a huge supermarket, didya?.....It's kind of like suggesting all the traffic on Kentucky Street be re-routed because one owns a house on the street and is annoyed by the street noise....

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

It's actually none of your business why he chose to buy the house.

However, given the inflated cost of real estate in this town, it's possible that houses in that area were affordable for him.

And, your analogy is flawed - street noise on Kentucky (by cars traveling by) is unavoidable. The way a private business chooses to set up their delivery and loading operations is not. Especially when they're considering a major renovation like this.

Alceste 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps.....but one must still be compelled to axe: "Knowing that a large grocery store is right across the street from this house....maybe I need to be concerned about truck delivery noise." shrug

Jake Angermeier 4 years, 5 months ago

You sure like to ask alot of questions, yet you didn't answer mine. I don't have to explain to completely rude strangers why I live where I I live or what I do. I think you need a hobby besides sticking your nose in things you know very little about. How long have you worked in the construction development feild since you have so many opinions? I have 14 years in that business. Now how much do know about zoning. Quick, What is the easement on your property? Mines 5 feet. Whats the easement on Mass st.? 30 feet. How much you know about local & state laws regarding zoning? Nothing, you just like to piss people of & get a rise out of them. But hey, you want to act like a 8 year old bully, have fun. Maybe one day you learn will keep your opinions to yourself and get to sit at the adult table.

shadowlady 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm quite sure North Lawrence, would be more than happy, if Dillons would put the store there, or at least a store. I see they finally got a "Dollar General", that will help some.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand this view.

Dillon's called for a meeting with interested neighbors and got it.

That's it.

Bladerunner 4 years, 5 months ago

Make it a reality tv show. Ghetto Dillons gets a makeover!

People who move next to businesses, highways, and airports have no right to gripe about noise. Quit whining people. Sorry if you wernt bright enough to figure out that living next to a commercial building may have a few downfalls before you bought or rented the property. Im sure the inconvienence was factored into the selling or rental price. You can't have it both ways.

Instead of griping about the noise perhaps you should claim to have sighted an endangered spotted asphalt frog on the premises. That should buy you a few decades of delay!

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps the business should take the rights of property owners into account when they build in mixed neighborhoods.

Nikki May 4 years, 5 months ago

I live right off Haskell, very near the packer warehouse. When it was EandE, their alarm would go off a lot. Now that it's Packer, I hear trucks all the time moving things from one side of Haskell to the other. Sometimes, I even hear trucks driving down the road. Sometimes it shakes my windows. Sometimes, my dog barks. I don't think the trucks are really considered disturbing the peace. But, if it is, then all the neighbors over there really should get a class action lawsuit going. What is the EXACT law that is being referred to?

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I'd have to look it up - or you could.

People have a legal right to the "quiet enjoyment" of their home - that's why we have noise ordinances, etc.

I've seen people in small claims courts prevail on that basis, and with that wording from a judge.

It is, of course, a bit subjective - hearing a truck drive down the road occasionally might not meet that definition - if it does so in the middle of the night though, ...

And, I would expect that any damage done to your property by the continual shaking of the house should be recoverable.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer. Perhaps any who read these forums can give their more expert opinion.

sissezz 4 years, 5 months ago

YES YES YES!!! We need a new store and the jobs!!! Im super excited!! I know it dont take much to get me there!! WOOO HOOO!!

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 5 months ago

uuhh .. can't get the hyperlink to work in your story .. was hoping it was pictures of the plans they showed on the news last night. :(

ralphralph 4 years, 5 months ago

Let's see ... the concerns are that some guy who moved to a house across from the loading dock is afraid trucks might back up to that loading dock, and some other guy is worried about what might happen if the store closes 25 years from now. That it? Sheesh!

Go, Dillons, Go!

topeka52 4 years, 5 months ago

Why not just let Lowe's build there, everybody will be happy

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

East Lawrence has been paying for the development of West Lawrence for many decades now.

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

that is correct. They used the taxes collected supposedly to maintain infrastructure to build lift stations and roundabout for the newer section of town. They excused new businesses from a lot of tax but built the roads and utilities to them. I think anyone who doesn't get the long time home owner is paying their share is just being stupid. Nice streets, curbs,parks, all help the value of a home, poorly maintained streets, bad lighting don't help that much.

Nikki May 4 years, 5 months ago

I disagree, there are many houses in "East Lawrence" that are well over that. Maybe not as high as the Sunflower neighborhood, but some are. Likewise, some people choose to live on the east side for an easier commute to their jobs. Others just like the area. I know several people who have remodeled homes rather than moved just so they could stay where they liked.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

What "special agenda items" are you referring to?

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe we should change the topic from the remodel of Dillons to a special topic where we just give the attention to empty haters They are desperate and just sad people who can't stand that even news about remodeling a store is more interesting than their snide and empty remarks. I think Dillons was sincere in wanting to talk to their customers and neighbors. Good relations and information about what traffic or services would work best for them , the costumers, the neighbors is good business. My memory was jogged. One of the things I didn't like at Dillons on Mass is the video machine is placed in front of the handicapped parking. Kids are always blocking the spots. They are only there a few minutes but I have seen people on walkers passing kids. I don't think being an ever vigilant neighborhood kitch, patrolling the space, calling the cops is a good solution. I think, they should be sure if a video or pop machine is place outside, don't put it in front of the handicapped section.

creamygnome 4 years, 5 months ago

I worked there for 6 years. There are no where near 40 trucks a night. 5 tops. Then from 5am-11am vendors make deliveries. They could be up to 10 total. So, 15 max over the span of one night. Considering the store only gets Kroger deliveries 4 nights a week, and I'm pretty sure the major vendors (Pepsi, Coke) only deliver about every other day. You're barely going to average 10 a night per week.

creamygnome 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, while I worked at Dirty Dillons I tried to get them to start a compost program due to the tons of food we tossed every day. They don't listen to me. North Lawrence has be discussed in the past, though. Not sure what the company's current thoughts on it are. I've always felt it would be in a company's interest to open a grocery store north of the river.

scopi_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought they had a compost program. Called their produce department.

shadowlady 4 years, 5 months ago

AMEN again None2, your on a roll. North Lawrence has been without and would very much appreciate a grocery store.

tir 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope that Dillons can work with the neighbors and reach a compromise so this project can move forward. We sure could use a new and improved grocery store in this location. I enjoy the convenience of being able to walk to the store now, but the selection is pretty limited compared to other stores in town, and I would definitely welcome a bigger store with more variety.

Joseph Jarvis 4 years, 5 months ago

I was shocked when I read that too. That should be warning signs one through ten.

P.S. LJ World reporter should have taken a picture. It's lazy to assume your story's subjects will provide them.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

Expanding and renovating the library (that is by no means 'falling apart') at taxpayer expense if just fine.

But we can't let Dillon's spend their own money to renovate and expand a store that is badly in need of a 'makeover".

I've been in that particular store once the whole time I've lived in Lawrence; it was easy to make the decision never to go back.

A grocery store that looks like it belongs on the east side of Topeka vs. the Dillon's over on Wakarusa. Gee, tough decision there.

Nikki May 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh how I hate to agree with a name like yours, but I do. (My husband called me a republican yesterday. I must be slipping in my old age).

But, I really have been wanting to say:

That's MY Dillons!

Alas, it's not. I don't go there. My vote though is a Hyvee at K-10 and O'Connell.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

Don't get too concerned about it.

It will probably NEVER happen again.

Just a once in a lifetime freak incident.

akuna 4 years, 5 months ago

Not a single person in East Lawrence has said that they don't want a new, bigger store. However, since DIllons opened up the floor for feedback, it behooves the neighbors to express their concerns. Dillons now knows what issues the neighbors feel exist. They can either choose to address them or ignore them.

irvan moore 4 years, 5 months ago

Dillons is willing to make a commitment to our neighborhood and invest in a store that will serve as an anchor for several nearby neighborhoods and we want to look for reasons to deny it? What the heck is wrong with this train of thought.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know who's looking for reasons to deny it.

The developer scheduled a meeting with neighbors to discuss the expansion - sounds like they wanted neighborhood input, which they got.

Sounds like it worked out just like they wanted.

ferrislives 4 years, 5 months ago

Some people (bozo) will bitc about progress of any sort, unless it comes with a hefty tax hike of course. Honestly, you'd be bitcing if Dillon's redid all stores BUT that one. Get a life already.

2002 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe there should be a little redesign, but I think that Dillons would be doing the City a favor to rebuild the store. It is a part of townthat deserves redevelopment. That wasn't a bad center in the 60's and 70's with Calhouns and Rainey's, but over time that area has gotten just crappy.

A quality grocery store near downtown is very important. Design is important, but keep in ming that this is next to Babcock Place, what I consider to be the worst designed building in town.

2002 4 years, 5 months ago

Sunny Parker 4 years, 5 months ago

Odd.....the ones that are complaining of the trucks sitting idle never complained about the EM-T busses sitting idle....

Strange!

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey , I have my opinion and every body else should just shut up. I have never heard anything in my life that has changed me from my opinion. I know how I feel, facts and other people just get in my way. Get out of my way. I have a right to my opinion. You guys should just shut up already.

Quick ,who am I pretending to be?

ferrislives 4 years, 5 months ago

Could it be? Start with a "B" and ends with an "O"?

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

I am sorry, I tried to make my remark very general hoping to avoid you taking it as a personal attack. Rereading it , I realized it wasn't general enough.

Slaphappy 4 years, 5 months ago

Trump says Obama's devaluation of the dollar to match China's RMB will lead to $20 loaf of bread and $10 candy bars. I'm glad the new dirty dillons will be built so that it can pass on lower prices. I hope they sell bread by the slice and candy in bits.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know if the north side of the parking lot that abuts Babcock will be open during the construction?

J Good Good 4 years, 5 months ago

I know the words "East Lawrence" always bring out the bashers, but I have news. Anyone can send out an announcement of a public meeting about a change to anything along these lines and the people who GO to that meeting are usually the ones who have COMMENTS to make.

The people who think comments equal "we don't want it" are way off base though. I have heard only positive endorsement of the idea of an expansion. From the people who actually shop there especially!

Sunny Parker 4 years, 5 months ago

Lots of suggestions on 'what' should be there, and 'what should be 'where'....but you all have no money to back it up!

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

When the developer calls for a meeting to discuss the expansion with the neighborhood, what is it about the neighbors giving their input as invited that bothers people so much??

That's obviously why they set up the meeting in the first place!

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 5 months ago

I, for one, am very concerned about preserving the area. I believe this project needs to have a long impact study followed by a public vote. Will Dillons seek taxpayer financing? How does this plan fit with current zoning rules and the economic plan? What about noise and light pollution from the expanded store? Will the new jobs pay a living wage? What about the impact on the wetlands? Will there be increased opportunities for minorities? As Merrill has suggested repeatedly, do we need more retail space when retail is so oversold? What about traffic patterns in that area? How much is the CEO paid relative to the employees? Will there be a T stop? What about a monorail depot? Is there any way to bring in groceries by train to avoid the truck congestion? Has anyone thought about the children? Aren't there enough locally owned stores... does Lawrence really need another chain? What about the Bush family ties to the trucking industry? I would like to see some answers before a study group is formed in anticipation of a vote.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Blimps made from woven hemp are the answer to many questions.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you all. I have not laughed so hard in weeks. And you guys wonder why you have no jobs. You wonder why your economy is not self-sustaining, and is a house of cards. You worry about the CO2 that is emitted by the trucks? You ever wonder about the CO2 you freaks belch while driving to your jobs in Topeka and KC. Then you have the nerve to put down our cities that sustain your life. You guys are total freaks. You deserve each other. Whine on idiots.

Jake Angermeier 4 years, 5 months ago

Kroger's local zoning attorney is James M. Kaup. His number is 785 838 4300. I suggest anyone with concerns to voice their opinions about this project to him