Archive for Friday, November 5, 2010

Dillons proposes tearing down Lawrence’s Massachusetts Street store and replacing it with larger building

November 5, 2010, 3:58 p.m. Updated November 5, 2010, 5:31 p.m.

A new Dillons grocery store is slated to come to south Massachusetts Streets.

On the street

How often do you go to the grocery store?

Almost every day.

More responses

A spokeswoman with Dillons confirmed Friday afternoon that Dillons’ parent company, Kroger, plans to raze its current 1960s-era store at 1740 Mass. and replace it with a cutting-edge grocery that should be open by the end of 2011.

The new store will be about 10,000 square feet larger than the existing 35,000-square-foot space. New features will include:

• An indoor/outdoor dining area with wireless Internet.

• A Starbucks coffee shop.

• A Chinese deli.

• A sushi bar.

• A sandwich grill.

• An organic foods section.

• An expanded pharmacy with a drive-through lane.

• A special parking area for bikes and scooters.

The current store will have to be closed to accommodate the construction. Lowrie said pending city approval, the current store would close near the first of the year. Current store employees will be offered positions in other Lawrence Dillons stores for the approximately one-year period that the Massachusetts Street store is closed.

The new store will have about 40 additional employees. Lowrie said current employees were told of the plans on Friday.

“Everyone is very excited about it,” Lowrie said. “It has been something that has been talked about for a long time.”

The store was built in 1960, and hasn’t had a major renovation since 1974 when part of the building suffered a fire, Lowrie said. She said the new store will be built on the current property owned by Dillons and won’t require an expansion into the adjacent neighborhood.

“As we design the store, we want to take into consideration the neighborhood and nearby downtown,” Lowrie said.

Dillons is hosting a meeting for area neighborhood associations at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Central Junior High, 1400 Mass. The company plans to unveil renderings of the store and answer questions about the proposal.

Thus far, some neighborhood leaders said they’re receiving positive feedback about the proposal.

“I think it is welcome news,” said Phil Collison, treasurer of the East Lawrence Neighborhood Association. “It will be real interesting to see all the plans, but it definitely is good that they’re showing an interest in making that a high-quality store. It is important to have a grocery store there.”

Lowrie was unable to release details about how large of an investment the new store would be for Dillons, but she said it was a multi-million dollar project. The store is the latest in a series of large projects that have been announced in late 2010, including a new warehouse for Berry Plastics, a new East Hills manufacturing plant by Plastikon Industries, a proposed seven-story office/retail/apartment building at Ninth and New Hampshire, and plans for a $20 million hydroelectric power plant on the Kansas River.

“We certainly have some momentum, and that creates a psychology that causes other businesses to investigate making their own investments in the city,” said Tom Kern, president of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.

The Dillons project will require some City Hall approvals. Lowrie said the company already has begun discussions with city planners and hopes to start the approval process immediately.

Comments

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

The back lot of Cottins Hardware started being used for a farmers market towards the end of this summer and I expect that will continue next year and include a few more growers.

roadrunner 4 years, 1 month ago

Now we can't call it the "Dirty Dillon's" any more!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Or stinky smelly Dillon's. More than once I left without getting out of my car due to the horrible stench. Imagine what it must be like living downwind of that in the summer. Eeeew!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Why, yes, krich; I am very special!

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 4 years, 1 month ago

I've lived "downwind" of the Mass Street Dillons for about 5 years now and have never smelled anything unpleasant, in the store or outside. Are you sure the smell wasn't coming from inside your car?

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

No, it was not and I still have a good sense of smell. And your comment doesn't make a lot of sense if you really think about it.

walkthehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

we always called it ghetto-Dillons . . .

sourpuss 4 years, 1 month ago

Actually, it sounds like a great idea and 10,000 more feet of space is hardly going to turn it into a "big box."

ScottyMac 4 years, 1 month ago

Umm. It's a grocery store, not a big box store. Learn the difference.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years, 1 month ago

Plus, "What say you progressives." I assume that is a question, but without the proper punctuation we'll never know. I guess he used up all of his question marks in the second and last sentences.

:D

cato_the_elder 4 years, 1 month ago

It sounds like Dillons is stepping up as a good corporate citizen in Lawrence and is to be strongly commended for its continuing sensitivity to the fact that people on the East side of town need need an improved Dillons grocery store just as those in other parts of Lawrence have enjoyed.

Beth Ennis 4 years, 1 month ago

We live 2 blocks from the Mass St. Dillons. We shop there about 90% of the time. However, since it is so small, it doesn't hold everything that the one on 23rd Street holds, so we sometimes have to go to the "big" Dillons. I for one am very excited about having a new store there. Thanks Dillons!!! This is a much needed improvement.

frankfussman 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, closing the Mass St. Dillons for a year will be a hardship for those of us who live nearby, including those at Babcock Place. Maybe a Dillons shuttle bus....

Abdu Omar 4 years, 1 month ago

You have a great point. Call Dillons and tell them this and the City Council that still has to OK the deal. I don't want the Babcock people to have no way to shop. They must provide.

windjammer 4 years, 1 month ago

After the fire Dillons provided a shuttle. I bet they will again.

windjammer 4 years, 1 month ago

After the fire Dillons provided a shuttle. I bet they will again.

Fred Sherman 4 years, 1 month ago

The fire to the Mass Street Dillon's was on May 31, 1974

zoom out and/or pan up from this link to see a pic of the aftermath:

Fred Sherman 4 years, 1 month ago

OK - I think the word wrap is messing with the link.
Go to Google News Archive Search -

Use advanced search options to limit the source to only the Lawrence Journal World. Search key words such as "fire" and "Dillon" and one can also limit the date range. Its a cool app.

The June 10, 1974 LJW has a full page ad from Dillon's with the headline: We'll Be Back .Out Of The Ashes, There's A New Dillons Plaza Coming.

Here is the link one more time - you may have to copy and paste the ULR

"http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=4zsyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AOUFAAAAIBAJ&dq=dillon&pg=3597%2C1016669"

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 1 month ago

Here's the link Quint was trying to get. I shortened it so it wouldn't trip our templates:

Jonathan Kealing

Sarah St. John 4 years, 1 month ago

Now you see why I love my job so much. :)

redmoonrising 4 years, 1 month ago

I rewmeber standing outside and listening to the popping of cans exploding while the store burned. Been a few years, huh?

lucky7brand 4 years, 1 month ago

Why are they not mentioning the extensive renovation that was done in the 90's? I believe it was in the 90's. It is time to update that Dillions. Just curious why that "little" detail of reno history was left out.

pizzapete 4 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like a great idea to me, maybe they could fix the parking lot while they're at it.

tanaumaga 4 years, 1 month ago

they'll have to update that as well as the landscaping.

booyalab 4 years, 1 month ago

People can just use the library parking lot. For all the money it costs it should stretch 10 blocks.

woodscolt 4 years, 1 month ago

If they tear down the old store and dispose of the their card game I would even shop there. This should be a good fit because they aren't trying to put a 200,000 sq. ft. box store in this space where it wouldn't work. Give kroger some credit for being reasonable.

Rich Noever 4 years, 1 month ago

Card game? What are you talking about?

woodscolt 4 years, 1 month ago

You know, the one that causes multiple prices to be posted for a product. The one where you pay way more if you don't play the card game.

Some stores are just "straight shooters" and give you their price.

livinginlawrence 4 years, 1 month ago

I've never understood why people feel the need to fuss over the Dillons plus card. All it requires of you is the time it takes to write down your name and phone number, then you're eligible for the discounts/specials. You don't even have to carry the card around, as you can just opt to enter your phone number at the check out. And to all those paranoid folks who fret over the store keeping tabs on their grocery purchases, chill out. The information is used to better tailor the inventory to your shopping needs.

clovis_sangrail 4 years, 1 month ago

And it's not like they check IDs when you get card, or require a real address or phone.

As far as Dillon's knows, I am either James T. Kirk or Burpee Mendoza, depending on which set of car keys I have with me at the time.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 1 month ago

I will be happy to see a new and improved Dillons at that location. It really is time. Still, the next year is certainly going to pose some challenge for the folks at Babcock.

Clara Westphal 4 years, 1 month ago

At least Dillons is doing something about a bad situation. This will be a great improvement from what is there now. Hope it works out for the best for everyone. Forty more employees will help too.

amac 4 years, 1 month ago

I highly recommend CHECKERS...23rd & Louisiana!

spiderd 4 years, 1 month ago

Says the person that markets for Checkers.

evilpenguin 4 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely agree, Checkers is a million percent better than Dillons. I live on the East side of town just a few blocks from Dillons but I avoid going there as much as possible. The only thing I buy in Dillons is taco shells of a variety that I can't get in Checkers. Dillons always smells like rank urine as soon as you walk in the door and the clientele....well....let's not get into that.

If you want fresh vegetables that aren't rotting and don't go off in a day, go by Checkers, their fresh food and meat are awesome!! Service is always great and the pricing is great!

They also just started stocking bulk items which is great, and they participate in the Lawrence Give Back scheme which contributes to local charities. Why would you NOT shop at Checkers!?

lawrencenerd 4 years, 1 month ago

I gotta disagree. Hyvee has better produce and meat. I tend to shop at Checkers more often because it is closer. Hyvee still will sell me a better steak and has much larger variety of fresh produce, and has seasonal produce that you often can't find elsewhere.

damnitimpissed 4 years, 1 month ago

Bahaha! Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's a no-name brand. But that's okay. You just keep shopping at Your Overpriced Store, paying extra to have god-awful music blaring in your ears and abandoned carts littering the parking lot. More German chocolate for me :)

jeffds01 4 years, 1 month ago

so i take it the babershop, and liqour store will be gone...i know the liqour store is closed, who knows about the barbershop....

this will be a nice much needed improvement and will go well with the nice new liqour store next door.....

good job dillions, way to support east lawrence!!!

George_Braziller 4 years, 1 month ago

The barber shop has been closed for months.

mseybold 4 years, 1 month ago

"The current store, though, will be have to be closed to accommodate the construction." Too many BE's

whats_going_on 4 years, 1 month ago

what about the much larger foot print it is going to make/???

Actually, I bet the current store uses up a lot of utilities and such just because it's so old and outdated. Now they have a chance to be "green" while upgrading the store.

Jayhawker07 4 years, 1 month ago

If I am not mistaken, I think the special tax get's paid to the developer for all of there hard work. Correct me if I am wrong.

JustNoticed 4 years, 1 month ago

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 1 month ago

Because DD does not have the selection of the other grocery stores in town, people often end up having to make trips further from their homes to acquire all of the items on their lists. With the expansion individuals will use less of a carbon footprint to fulfill their grocery needs.

walkthehawk 4 years, 1 month ago

actually, this sort of thing WILL increase, as you put it, the"tax base." we think downtown is one of the best things about Lawrence--maybe THE best thing, and definitely what makes Lawence different from the JoCo burbs. We'd love to be able to walk to downtown, and are semi-actively looking for property to buy. . . But as parents of a young family, the idea having having to shop at this Dillon's store or drive far out of the way is completely unappealing.

Grocery stores and neighborhood schools matter to homebuyers--your post is really negative in tone, but there's a (perhaps unintentional) underlying truth there: we have to take care of the downtown core and the neighborhoods attached to it if we want homes to hold their value there, if we want more families to move to the neighborhood instead of away from it--if we want more of a "tax base" in 66044. Turn your negative commentary into some forward-thinking suggestions and we might just get somewhere. :)

4 years, 1 month ago

Dude, calm down and quit trollin'. The store's already there, they're just making it a little bigger. It will have a better selection and some trendy new features. I only wish they'd have some local coffee shop open up inside instead of a starbucks. But whatever, it's just a grocery store. I ain't gonna flip about it. In the meantime, Lawrence Transit has Route 7 cruising by there twice an hour and it goes right by Checkers so anybody affected can just take the bus til the dust settles.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 1 month ago

Great idea, needed to be done, but don't forget the cost will be passed on to the consumer, and Checkers is cheaper then Dillions.

spiderd 4 years, 1 month ago

Says the other person that markets for Checkers.

Chris Bohling 4 years, 1 month ago

I would welcome this. I live about 2 blocks from Ghetto Dillons and I usually go to Checkers when I need to do a major grocery run, but if I just need some spaghetti sauce or something I walk down to Dillons. It would be a pain while it's closed but I would be all in favor of a better store there later.

JustNoticed 4 years, 1 month ago

Under what conditions would you be in favor of it?

farmgal 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes. Why did they cut down that big old shade tree to the north of 9th & New Hampshire? I liked to park there on hot summer days. One day--it was just gone.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Used to be a really cool large water fountain in the middle of the intersection there many years ago, too. I wonder if there are any pictures of that? LJW?

friendlyjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Just another Dillons, so what? That big Dillons on west 6th is not well utilized anytime I have been in there and smells so heavily of sushi that I don't like going there. Give me my HyVee anytime.

spiderd 4 years, 1 month ago

Says the person that markets for Hy-Vee.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Hoity-Toity? You ain't seen hoity-toity until you go to a carwash in Phoenix when the temperatures are only in the mid-50's and people are wearing their mink coats. Seriously!

tifosi 4 years, 1 month ago

Give it a year or two, it will be back to being a "Dirty Dillons". Just the way they operate.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

May be. Walked into the W. 23rd & Naismith Dillons a couple of days ago and it smelled of fish past its prime. Kind of made me wonder if the employees in the seafood department know when fish has gone bad.

Rich Noever 4 years, 1 month ago

Is your glass half empty. Doom and gloomer!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

No, mine's full. Sorry that your's is empty.

lllwll 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree with amac. Checkers is great.

Dillons at 6th & Wak is over rated.

Hy-Vee has the best check-out.

George_Braziller 4 years, 1 month ago

I normally shop at Checkers but sometimes stop at Dirty Dillon's because it's closer and functions like a well-stocked convenience store when I'm cooking and only need one ingredient. I moved to Lawrence nearly 30 years ago and even then it was known as "Dirty Dillon's".

Denny2009 4 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know what happened to the barber shop next to Dillons? Went there for a couple years when I lived in Lawrence and saw it was closed last time I was in town..

Rich Noever 4 years, 1 month ago

What do you think happened? It went to "closed barbershop heaven: jeeez.

Thats_messed_up 4 years, 1 month ago

So Dillons is going to destroy 10,000 sq. feet of wetlands so hippies can eat sushi?

irvan moore 4 years, 1 month ago

the barber shop is gone thanks to the expansion but the (my) barber Dennis is at Rexs barber shop downtown.

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

I like this, the location serves a large and important population. I shop at the Mass. Dillons all the time. I get very good service. I admit I didn't visit the little liquor store nor the new big one but I often swing into the Dairy Queen across the street for a quick one.

JustNoticed 4 years, 1 month ago

"important population"? What does that mean?

Catalano 4 years, 1 month ago

Please remind me about Nanny Duver. I was here back then, but the Nanny Duver brain cell is not firing this morning.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

This is a wonderful plan for East Lawrence. Why?

It will:

1. Convert the empty spaces in that strip mall to sales tax revenue

2. Create more long term inner city employment possibilities

3. Provide consumers with many shopping choices including competitively priced housewares

4. highlight energy efficiency .... apparently

5. Encourage low impact travel ( bikes and scooters)

6. Keep grocery shopping in the hood

7. Hopefully provide local growers with an expanded market ( Price Chopper/Ball Foods cannot get enough. Their buyer spends many hours chasing down local products for their Hen House stores)

Now for the details.....as they surface.

Can Dillon's provide North Lawrence with a downsized store? They are also looking for a hardware store.... in the hood that is.

grammaddy 4 years, 1 month ago

Glad to see East Lawrence FINALLY getting something they need. Wow! Roadwork on 19th street AND a new Dillon's in the same decade.I will miss it while it's closed but can't wait to shop in the new one. I was thinking it would be nice to drive down a freshly re-paved 19th to get there, but by the time the new Dillon's is finished, 19th will probably need re-paving yet again.Oh well, I can dream can't I?

Scott Kaiser 4 years, 1 month ago

I worked at this Dillons in the early 70's as a sacker. Kieth Lucas was manager. I have photos I took of the damage. http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss110/DaddyTopCat/Dillons/th_dillons003.jpg?t=1289045916

kessman 4 years, 1 month ago

DILLONS--home of the high price grocery store, low price convenient store. checkers it is for me.

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

I voted YES! for the new $18.5 million Dillons! I was swayed by all the yard signs!

rover 4 years, 1 month ago

We live just up the street and frequent the Mass. st. Dillons. I think it's great they are going to build a new store. Nice too see 19th st. getting a resurface too. Adding 40 new employees is a step in the right direction. Good for East Lawrence!

conservative 4 years, 1 month ago

Love seeing the same people who fought against a larger 2nd walmart praising the need for an expanded selection at 1 of 4 dillons in town.

Editorator 4 years, 1 month ago

Let's be fair... how many places ARE there to shop for groceries or small necessities east of Massachusetts? Why are all the new places to shop on the west side of town, yet there are numerous new neighborhood residences on the east side? Wake up, conservative, there is coffee brewing here and it isn't Starbucks.

4 years, 1 month ago

That's my ghetto Dillon's!

Yes, please do build the new one. People in this area of town actually desire things your other stores offer.

irnmadn88 4 years, 1 month ago

Granted, Kroger Co. does not own the property, but I think that razing the strip mall at 19th & Haskell and putting a grocery store there might be a better idea. Not that 19th & Mass is not a good location for a grocery store, just that moving the Dillons to 19th & Haskell might make a downtown grocer more viable... such as what used to be at the NE corner of 11th & Mass. (Oh wait, maybe the Mass St. Dillon's had something to do with its demise? Hmm.)

Irenaku 4 years, 1 month ago

Woo-Hoo! As one post said above, now it won't be the ghetto-Dillons anymore! This is too cool. I live in East Lawrence and usually have to drive to the more posh Dillons on 6th street just to get items that the ghetto-Dillons does not carry. This totally rocks.

woodscolt 4 years, 1 month ago

The original wallmart was a "special" new and improved wall mart. Then it was remodeled. Home depot was a "special" store and a marketing test for home depot. And Now, drum roll, ok thats enough

"“This store not only will be a model store for our Dillons division, but when it comes to energy efficiency and other features, it will be a model store for the entire company,” said Sheila Lowrie, a Dillons spokeswoman.

Ok, insert laugh track please.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 1 month ago

It will be engery efficient, it will no longer use battery powered scooters to get "exercised-challenged" shoppers around the store, they're going to use high-tech recumbent pedal-powered-only scooters which transfer the power generated by pedaling to an overhead, in-store electrical grid.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 1 month ago

I propose an opposition, preservation group be organized to oppose such a terrible idea of destroying such grand 1960s architecture. It can be named, "Dillons Redux" after its kindred spirit, "Depot Redux". Upon formation, "Dillons Redux" can work with Dillons & THE CITY, to help stretch CITY money (tax money) and apply for grant (tax) money to pay for OUR vision of this privately owned store. If done correctly, "Dillons Redux" might also get some of that shovel-ready-stimulus-money (tax money) to help save such a historically important 1960s structure.

I need the community's help with this, as I only know a few of the historical events pertinent to this iconic classic store and property in town. "Dillons Redux" needs your help to save this great piece of Lawrence history. Please help:

1. April 20, 1970 - KU protest leaders arrive and purchase Coca Cola (bottles), dump the contents in the parking lot, fill with gasoline, transport to KU Student Union and burn it.

2. Quantrill Raiders stop at this spot to rest their horses before proceeding to downtown for murder and mayhem.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 1 month ago

I, for one, am very concerned about preserving the area. I believe this project needs to have a long impact study followed by a public vote. Will Dillons seek taxpayer financing? How does this plan fit with current zoning rules and the economic plan? What about noise and light pollution from the expanded store? Will the new jobs pay a living wage? What about the impact on the wetlands? Will there be increased opportunities for minorities? As Merrill has suggested repeatedly, do we need more retail space when retail is so oversold? What about traffic patterns in that area? How much is the CEO paid relative to the employees? Will there be a T stop? What about a monorail depot? Aren't there enough locally owned stores... does Lawrence really need another chain? I would like to see some answers before a study group is formed in anticipation of a vote.

rosdahl 4 years, 1 month ago

I'll continue to shop at Checker's thank you very much. Lawrence's only IGA.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

It's my understanding the Dillons family sold all the stores and Kwik shops to Krogers.

tifosi 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, the dollars you spend at Dillons or Kwik Shop don't stay in Kansas, they go to Cincinnati, Ohio. Home of Kroger.

tomatogrower 4 years, 1 month ago

There is a lot more space at the south end. There was a liquor store and beauty shop down there, not Dillons. I wondered why those businesses were closed, now I know. I think it's a great idea.

booyalab 4 years, 1 month ago

They should make it smaller, pricier and hire only hipsters so it will be more sustainable.

BigPrune 4 years, 1 month ago

I bet the price tag of this new store will be at least 1/4 the price of the new library and it will be 45,000 square feet as opposed to the 20,000 square feet addition for the new library. In other words, if the prozac taking local community were to let our prozac taking local government build it, the new Dillons would cost at least $36,000,000.

booyalab 4 years, 1 month ago

But if the government built it, it would promote literacy. Because then the poor disadvantaged homeless children could read the backs of the cereal boxes for free.

Centerville 4 years, 1 month ago

That would be an interesting exercise: compare construction costs and construction duration of the Mass St Dillons and the new library. Also, compare precious tax revenues generated and comsumed (which would include employment taxes).

jafs 4 years, 1 month ago

Comparing costs and quality of construction is reasonable.

Comparing tax revenues, etc. isn't - public entities such as libraries are not designed to produce revenue.

blindrabbit 4 years, 1 month ago

Too many grocery stores, I agree as now configured, but maybe just placed wrong. What about expanding19th Street Dillons, tear down Dillons at 6th and Lawrence, and build another Checkers in North Lawrence. Also, wasn't there an earlier fire at the 19th Street Dillons prior to the 1974 fire???

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

I think Checkers looked into opening a store in North Lawrence years ago, but concluded it would not be a good business decision for them. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be for someone else, but the last grocery store over there didn't get enough business to keep going.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 1 month ago

Will there be localized wind power or has the Bush/Cheney regime ruined that opportunity for the new "green" Dillons?

Kat Christian 4 years, 1 month ago

Well its about time. I hope the parking is better than what it is now. So tired of going in there only to NOT find what I need. I just used it as a big conveneient store and do my real shopping at Checkers. I only buy sale items at Dillons anyway, there prices are way too high. For instance, Sesame Oil at Checkers (same brand) $3 something, at Dillion $5 something. No kidding. That's too much of a price hike for me. I expect prices will increase at this new one, but it will still be convenient when I have to run in to get one or two things.

windjammer 4 years, 1 month ago

Dillons is going to build a new store on the same site. Get over it oneeye.

BigPrune 4 years, 1 month ago

How will the parking lot be arranged to support such a massive store? There will need to be a minimum of 1 parking space per 100 gross square feet of space, or 450 parking spaces. Where will they find a large enough parking lot, not to mention all the storm water retention for such a massive parking lot?

Don't forget the liquor store next door and the auto repair joint and the hardware store. Lump those all together and the parking lot is not large enough to accomodate such a large retail foot print.

This thing should be dead on arrival, this is Lawrence, Kansas after all.

blindrabbit 4 years, 1 month ago

The-parking situation at that store has always been a big issue; agree Prune how will it get approval. For storm water, they will probably have to do what the Dillons Leavenworth store did; build a huge underground storage cistern.

BigPrune 4 years, 1 month ago

It's more likely to be 1 parking space for every 200 square feet, so instead of 450 make it 225 parking spaces.

akuna 4 years, 1 month ago

The entire area is already paved. There should be not concerns about storm water, unless the city didn't do its due diligence 50 years ago when the current store was built.

As for the number of parking spaces, according to the smart code, there will need to be either 3 or 4 parking spaces per 1000 sq. ft of retail space depending on its designation. That would mean between 135 and 180 parking stalls. I have no idea how many are there right now nor do I know if the planning department uses the smart code for this, but that seems doable.

foxtrotter 4 years, 1 month ago

At one time they tried to purchase the apt building at 1725 N. H.. Did they ever get that done for more parking?

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

This is a perfect example of how a property that has actually been performing economic growth for about 50 years or more for Lawrence,Kansas is now expanding on a piece of property that has existing infrastructure more that likely paid its' fair share. This is good for the taxpayer.

Whereas much new stuff requires a lot from taxpayers and may never pay it's fair share because they are always wanting big government tax dollars from the taxpayers aka moochers.

Now Dillion's will be offering more choices for its' long time customer base which is very smart.

Checkers will benefit while Dillon's is closed. No doubt Dillion's has figured that into their equation. Checkers runs a good business = good they are in the neighborhood.

It will be a good idea to keep an eye on the politics as we move forward. This plan appears to have merit.