A request to annex land northwest of Lawrence for potential industrial development will get discussed Tuesday night by city commissioners. Commissioners will consider annexing 51 acres at the southwest corner of N 1800 Road and E 1000 Road, which also is Queens Road extended.
Commissioners specifically will consider approving a resolution asking Douglas County commissioners to sign off on the annexation, which is a required step because the property is not adjacent to the current city limits.
If the annexation is approved, commissioners will be asked to consider a rezoning request that would allow industrial development at the site.
No specific project has been proposed for the site, but the owners want to begin marketing the property as an industrial location since it is adjacent to Interstate 70.
Several neighbors have objected to the plans, but the project has received a unanimous recommendation from the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission.
• Receive presentation from KDHE to the Utilities Department for the Capacity Development Achievement Award.
• Proclaim Wednesday as Celebrate Marine Corps Birthday.
• Proclaim the week of Nov. 15–19 as International Education Week.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Oct. 5 and 12.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the city clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Award Bid No. B1053 for the 2010 Cured in Place Pipe Rehabilitation Project to Insituform Technologies USA, Inc., in the amount of $615,037.40, and authorize the city manager to execute a contract agreement in the amount of $615,037.40. Authorize the city manager the discretion to add additional sanitary sewer mains to the project at the contract unit prices for a total contract amount not to exceed $982,000.
• Approve unanimous recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to deny request to establish no parking along the west side of Sawgrass Drive from 26th Terrace, north to the cul-de-sac, approved 7-0.
• Approve unanimous recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to establish no parking along the south side of 11th Street between Kentucky Street and Tennessee Street, approved 7-0.
• Authorize the mayor to sign the city/state agreement for construction engineering services for Project No. PW0903, Kasold Drive, Clinton Parkway to 31st Street, street, storm sewer, waterline Improvements.
• Approve the donation of Engine 10 (Unit 629) from the Fire and Medical Department to the Wichita Area Chapter of Pink Heals/Guardians of the Ribbon, Inc.
• Receive a request from Samuel Fields for changes to the city code regarding the maximum number of dogs that an individual may keep on a premise. Refer to staff for a report.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive report from Destination Management, Inc.
• Consider recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to establish no parking along the north side of Brett Drive between Berwick Way & Haversham Drive/Stowe Drive, approved 6-1.
• Consider initiating a District Plan for the Inverness Park Addition area, generally located in the area south of Clinton Parkway, between Inverness Drive and Crossgate Drive, south to K-10 Highway.
• Consider approving a Maintenance Facility Lease Agreement with Kansas University and consider approving an amendment to MV Contract removing the facility costs and making operational adjustments.
• Receive Planning Commission recommendation regarding annexation, A-9-3-10, of approximately 51.13 acres located at the southwest corner of N 1800 Road (Farmer’s Turnpike) and E 1000 Road (Queens Road Extended) and consider adopting Resolution No. 6910 requesting that the Board of County Commissioners make the statutory finding as to whether the proposed annexation would not hinder or prevent the proper growth or development of the area or of any other incorporated city.
• Consider approving the following items relating to water and wastewater master plans:
a) Consider authorizing the city manager to execute an engineering services agreement in the amount of $247,748 with Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company Inc. for services in conjunction with the water system master plan, project UT0921MP.
b) Consider approving the population projections and master plan boundary for the wastewater master plan following the completion of the public participation process.