Douglas County Senior Services would like to put old cell phones to new uses.
The agency is asking residents to donate unwanted cell phones, with proceeds from the program going to its emergency fund.
Assistance requests for the fund have doubled this year.
Some of the phones will be used for the 911 Cell Phones for Seniors program, where the phones can only be used for reaching 911 operators in emergency situations.
Donated phones must have a battery, but chargers aren’t necessary.
The phones can be donated at:
• Lawrence Senior Center, 745 Vt.
• Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department, 200 Maine.
• Baldwin City Public Library, 800 Seventh St., Baldwin City.
• Eudora City Hall, 4 E. Seventh St., Eudora.
• Eudora Public Library, 14 E. Ninth St., Eudora.
• Lecompton City Hall, 327 Elmore St., Lecompton.