Archive for Tuesday, March 23, 2010

No official word yet on Aldrich, Henry

Kansas forward Xavier Henry backs off as center Cole Aldrich pulls a rebound away from Belmont forward Mitch Hedgepeth during the first half, Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

March 23, 2010

Kansas University junior Cole Aldrich and freshman Xavier Henry aren’t yet ready to announce whether they’ll be in the NBA or back at KU next season, coach Bill Self said Tuesday at his season-ending news conference.

Both are projected as first-round picks.

It’s been assumed all season both are in their final seasons at KU.

Of Henry’s situation, Self said: “I’ll meet with X. I saw him briefly yesterday, didn’t really talk about much. I’ll meet with him and see what he and his family want me to do. I’m not going to do something they don’t want me to do. That’ll be a family decision. (There’s) no timetable I have whatsoever on them getting together and making a decision.

“I don’t think the decision has been made yet. I think there’s probably a way in which they’re leaning, but let’s wait and see what happens. I’ll support it either way.”

Of Henry’s NBA readiness, Self said: “There’s no question in my mind that he is definitely equipped and ready to be paid, no question.

“Now the question to the family is ... is he ready to play and impact the NBA game? And I think that is one that I personally think he can do that. I do, but that’s something they need to decide as a group. You are talking about a situation if he does go where some people have him projected to go (lottery), we don’t know if that’s accurate or not, if he does go there, sometimes that is a pretty risky insurance policy to come back and risk injury and things like that. That is strictly a decision for him and his family and I’ll support whatever direction they go.”

Of Aldrich’s situation, Self said: “Cole and I visited yesterday. To me, with Cole it doesn’t have much to do with where people have him projected. We know he’s going to get drafted pretty high. It’s what would be best for his family.

“He’ll make a decision ... it could be best for his family for Cole to come back, but I’ve said this all along, I’m not encouraging that at all. I think it’s something he has to feel totally comfortable with and he will. Give him a week or so to think about it. He’ll make a decision. He won’t let it hang in the balance so to speak wondering what he’s going to do. I think he’ll give himself some time to think about it, visit with his mother and father and probably have a decision sometime next week. My personal hunch is that he’s probably in his mind, for the first time, thinking about it. I don’t think he’s given much thought about it until now. I think his total focus was this year.”

Comments

drnater 4 years ago

Keith i'm not sure what you mean considering both parents attended and graduated from KU. How is that not all about the school? Now, they are parents of kids that attend KU, they attend the games, watch there kids play, and cheer them on. How is that not being about the university? Do they have to donate tons of money as well? Opie your post confuses me, you said we need a shooting guard that can actually shoot, then state that Xavier was a good shooter?? Thats condescending, Xavier is a Small Forward not a shooting guard, and though he wasnt as aggressive as he could of been Tyrel isnt really aggressive to the hole at all, he can shoot the lights out from 3 but isnt really a penetrating factor. All in all theres still plenty Cole could learn from Danny and if you dont think he could then you have a few screws loose, Xavier has a lot he could still learn as well, look what one off-season did for the Morris twins.

opie81 4 years ago

I completely agree PhogFan86! And, the other posts respecting the decisions of both Cole and Xavier to do whatever is best for them and their families.

Look at it this way, if they do come back, then it will continue to delay the development of both Elijah and Thomas. We should be very excited to see these young guys develop into men and great ball players.

The person that worries me the most is Tyshawn. While he did seem to mature a little bit in the latter stages of the season, I am still not convinced he has entirely bought into Coach Self's system. I could be wrong. As an athlete there's no question about him. In terms of maturity, toughness, and intelligence I have many worries.

I have just one hope for next year: Tyrel Reed starts. The thing we need most is a shooting guard that can actually shoot. Xavier was a good shooter, but he was not nearly as aggressive as he could have been. Tyrel is super tough and intelligent.

I am already looking forward to next year.

biggunz 4 years ago

Why are KSU fans smack talking on here, we kicked your *sses 3 times in one year! And no matter who stays or goes we'll beat you next year too because that's what we do. You would think your idiot fanbase would realize everytime you think you've got us, you find out you don't.

Jim Williamson 4 years ago

If Cole stays, I'd have team doctors examine him for a closed head injury. Say he blows a knee next November against Emporia State. His career in the NBA is over before it starts.

And for folks who purport to be concerned with his education: ummmm, he's going to get his degree. I know for a fact that's very important to him and his family. But he's so close, he can knock that off online or during an off-season.

There's absolutely nothing more Cole can accomplish or be taught at the college level, and anyone who says there is is being selfish.

As for X, he was supposed to be the missing piece on this team. This team's done. Acknowledge. Move on.

Both will get more and better coaching at the next level, and chances are good they'll make more money in the league, too.

I wish both these kids well and thank them -- especially Cole -- for some great basketball, dedication, hard work and great quotes.

DRsmith 4 years ago

I would think Cole would go to the league this year before his stock slips even more.

edjayhawk 4 years ago

Can't someone just give Cole's Dad a job? I mean there has to be something out there that an alum could pull the trigger on...

woodscolt 4 years ago

Thanks, Xavier, Cole, and Sherron for representing yourselves and the University of Kansas with class. Even though the season ended with a heartbreaking loss, it ended with 3 of the classiest people the Jayhawk nation could hope for. Best of luck in the NBA. Where ever you wind up your class and character will follow you. Thanks again.

KEITHMILES05 4 years ago

I would not want to deal with the Henry family. They have shown to be very self serving and not about KU. Xavier doesn't come across that way but the rest of them do.

commonsense 4 years ago

With an NBA Lockout on the horizon, X and Cole are gone. Thanks for a great year and good memories. Best of luck to you in the NBA. It will take time, but eventually you will both play and make us all proud.

nike1608 4 years ago

@hbjayhawk - I couldn't have said it better myself =)

ONE MORE YEAR....ONE MORE YEAR =)

coldplay 4 years ago

I wonder how much the bball staff can come up with to keep these guys around one more year. 50K would be high for each based on the going rate for top players these days to commit to a school, but KU should raise the bar and give each of these guys 50K cash "sotto il tavolo".

hbjayhawk 4 years ago

Dear Cole and Xavier:

Thank you for the thrilling 33-3 season you provided us this season. The NBA will always be there for you. Why not enjoy the jayhawk experience one more year? Look at the heroes reception Sherron got (and deserved). KU and alums will always keep you in their hearts no matter what your decision is, but stay and get your education. The millions $$ you will get will still be there. However, the opportunity to be part of such a special place at such a special time of your life only comes around once. Embrace the opportunity to be a Jayhawk legend and celebrity--at least for one more season. Bring home that title and finish the job you set out to accomplish when Coach Self and his staff visited your homes in Minnesota and Oklahoma respectively. Plus, earn that degree. The money won't mean much knowing you will have a great luxury life AND a degree from a great school. Best wishes with your final decision and thanks for providing us all such fond memories in 2010.

Signed, Jayhawk Fans

barricade 4 years ago

jbiegs it is a possibility that both will b back, and you can't really be hinting that KSU is better considering KU beat you three times in the same year. KU did not lose to KSU in the NCAA tournament so do not be saying that KSU is better just because KSU has made it farther.

jbiegs 4 years ago

THEY ARE BOTH GONE!!! K........S.........U.........WILDCATS!

jbiegs 4 years ago

THEY ARE BOTH GONE!!! K........S.........U.........WILDCATS!

jbiegs 4 years ago

THEY ARE BOTH GONE!!! K........S.........U.........WILDCATS!

jbiegs 4 years ago

THEY ARE BOTH GONE!!! K........S.........U.........WILDCATS!

Seth Peterson 4 years ago

How about we give them at least a week to digest what they've just been through before pushing them to make a decision? I'm always in favor of players staying in school, finishing their degrees and developing before going pro, but I wouldn't think now is the time to be asking them to make potential life-effecting decisions.

jimmyjms 4 years ago

Whatever they do, I say thanks for all the hard work, and best of luck. How awesome would it be to have Cole, X, Tyshawn, Mario LIttle, Travis Releford, the twins, CJ, Reed, and Morningstar back again though?

I can't believe the seasons over.

oldtimer39 4 years ago

Agreed on Henry - he'll definitely benefit from one more year if he wants to make a lasting impact in the NBA. Too many players with his upside have come and gone because they chased the paycheck and didn't take the time to develop.

oldtimer39 4 years ago

Cole may not have been dominating but his presence made opponents change their approach both offensively and defensively whenever he was in the game. The threat of him blocking a shot was enough to disrupt opponents offensive flow and force them to the perimeter. It's just too bad that our defense on the perimeter was so inconsistent.

I also don't think he needs to be a scoring threat. His timing is top-notch and he'll be valued in the NBA as a defensive presence.

DillonBarnes 4 years ago

Although I'd love to see Aldrich stay, he's got a definite future in the NBA and I'd be happy for him if he took that route. I don't see Henry being ready for the NBA yet and think it would benefit him to stick around at least one more year and develop himself as a player.

jhwk_acct 4 years ago

Cole is 12 hours short of his degree, why would you stay and get 12 hours of schooling that can easily be completed online or sometime in the future. If he indeed does get drafted in the lottery he will be making around 2 Million a year which where I am from is quite a bit more appealing than taking 12 hours of classes.

Carrie Coffey 4 years ago

EDUCATION EDUCATION! That is my philosophy, if they don't make it in the NBA they will have something to fall on. If they leave now and don't finish school they will have to come back and finish up or wherever they may choose to attend and be broke and have to take out loans. Why not make a WISE decision like Sherron and finish school and move on. I have the upmost respect for Sherron for finishing his business that he intended to do when he decided to come to KU. He will now walk and have a career regardless if it's NBA or whatever he majored in. Good Luck fella's in your decision making!

Caesar_Augustus 4 years ago

I'm not sure how Cole Aldrich was an all american. He can block shots with the best of them, sure, but he was no scoring threat and wasn't that great of a defender, outside of his blocked shots. Anyone who was his size or slightly larger walked all over him. I would definitely not call him dominating.

The morris twins were much better players most of the season imho.

orthohawk 4 years ago

Cole Aldrich show go to the NBA and take care of his family. I believe that his father has been without a job for a fairly long period of time. On the other hand Henry may have the tools to play in the NBA but it appears to me that he has not developed enough to make an impact at that level. Even if both leave KU I think we will be OK.

Bill Lee 4 years ago

Let's give them a little time to decide what they want to do. There's no rush.

Graczyk 4 years ago

I'll be sad to see Cole go. Henry, not so much. I'm sure he's a nice kid, but I never thought that he fit in that well here.

yellowdot99 4 years ago

Maybe losing last Sat. night was a sign to these boys that they should stay another year and get things done the right way next year. If they are good enough to go on to the NBA then we should still be playing to win the NACC this year. Just a thought !!!!!!!