Archive for Sunday, March 21, 2010

March sadness for Jayhawks: OKC end of the road for KU fans

Kansas fans watch the final seconds of KU's 67-69 loss in the second round to University of Northern Iowa, Saturday, March 20, 2010, in Oklahoma City.

March 21, 2010

Kansas falls to Northern Iowa

The Jayhawks ended the season 33-3 after being knocked out of the NCAA tournament by Northern Iowa. The Jayhawks battled back late in the game but ultimately fell 69-67.

Reader poll
Which NCAA Tournament loss in the last 20 years stung the most?

or See the results without voting

Audio Clips
2010 KU-Northern Iowa
KU basketball tweets
Get all the latest KU basketball reports

Tweet display sponsored by the Kansas City Wizards. Get 20% off home opener tickets using code KUSPORTS at checkout!

— Down one with 42.8 seconds left, his Jayhawks breathing with new life after staggering all game to catch up with Northern Iowa, Tyshawn Taylor went for the steal.

And missed.

An open Ali Farokhmanesh hit another game-securing three-pointer, Tyrel Reed committed an offensive foul, and the Jayhawks would be sent home early from the NCAA Tournament they were supposed to win, 69-67.

And that means Lawrence resident Laura Dahnert’s father, seated next to her in Section 321, will just need to go to St. Louis and beyond on his own.

“I’m not going to the Final Four,” she said, leaving her dad — a Georgia Tech alum whose Yellow Jackets remain alive in the Midwest Regional — to fend for himself. “You’ll be going. I’ll be at home.”

As improbable was KU’s comeback two years ago against Memphis that won a national championship, the Jayhawks couldn’t finish a late charge that had enlivened the crowd for what would be the season’s final few minutes at Ford Center.

The sluggish start that had become a familiar nuisance all season long simply had stretched too far, lasted too long and, ultimately, tightened its grip on the top-seeded Jayhawks, the NCAA Tournament’s overall top seed and favorite to win it all.

Next year can’t come soon enough.

“It’s sad, but life goes on,” said Mary Rodriguez, a retired schools administrator from Lawrence, joined by her family in Section 306. “They’ll be just as good, if not better, depending on who sticks around. Everybody’s got to do what’s best for them, but we’ve got a good coach and he’ll be able to work with what he has.”

Tara Crotchett, who followed her ’Hawks to Oklahoma City from the Kansas City area, is counting on Xavier Henry and Cole Aldrich returning for next season for another run at a national championship.

That’s the hope, anyway.

“We hope their fathers will help them realize that one more year of college is worth more than that big (NBA) paycheck,” she said. “You never know.”

Comments

Len Fleske 4 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self is a very good coach and recruiter. Unforunately KU got out hustled, outshot , and they made their freethrows. Besides we did not play that well toward the end of the season and I wonder when Self started playing Taylor more than Morningstar it appeared that the team chemistry did change somewhat. Morningstar usually plays good defense, gets the ball inside and overall hustles alot but lately has not hardly shot. Finally Aldrich did repectable during the tournament but lets face it the guards almost always control how far your team goes in the tournament and our guards played poorly!!!

labmonkey 4 years, 9 months ago

From that picture, it looks like obesity is more of a problem at KU than the Hawks choking.

amesn 4 years, 9 months ago

@ labmonkey nice...real classy with the fat joke. Bill Self is a great coach hands down, smartest coach in the NCAA..anybody who thinks differently is wrong wrong wrong!! Of course EVERYBODY'S an expert in situations like this!

CLARKKENT 4 years, 9 months ago

AMESN--YOU ARE RIGHT, BILL SELF IS A GREAT COACH. K.U. SHOULD BE GLAD THE OKLAHOMA STATE JOB IS NOT STILL OPEN. IF I WAS AS UNDER APPRECIATED AS HE SEEMS TO BE, I WOULD TAKE THAT JOB. FOR THAT MATTER, I WOULD TAKE ANY JOB THAT WOULD BE THANKFUL TO HAVE A COACH OF HIS CALIBER.

YOU K.U. FOLKS HAVE BECOME SPOILED, AND THAT IS SO SAD.

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

The article is brutal, but J King is spot on. What a shame all the way around.

anon1958 4 years, 9 months ago

labmonkey (anonymous) says…

amesn (anonymous) says…

@ labmonkey nice...real classy with the fat joke.

Well then there is this in Jason King's article:

"Collins gained nearly 30 pounds during the offseason and spent most of the fall trying to lose weight. Instead of helping his teammates steer clear of the fights with the football team, Collins was right in the middle of them."

Maybe the fat joke is really spot on!

The players in the brawl should all have lost their scholarships and been suspended from KU for a semester anyway. They are and continue to be losers.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 9 months ago

There is no rule which says you can't resume college AND get a degree AFTER several years of the FAT paycheck. I'm sure that psychology degree would be worth it then.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 9 months ago

UNI is good...I have seen them a few times this year (not in person, of course) and they looked tough. In one of my brackets, a "backup" one that is now leading my office pool, I even had UNI over Kansas. They scared me, I knew it wouldn't be easy...but I still thought we would win!

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 9 months ago

The rivals.com article is spot on, though I hate to say it. I don't agree w/some of the posters here that Bill Self isn't a good coach. Let's remember there are 341 (last I saw) Div. I schools. There's a lot of really good talent out there, and winning the title was never a given. UNI was definitely seeded too low (the committee did a poor job this year overall of seeding in my opinion). But when you look at how this team could play for certain minutes of the game, they were unstoppable by anyone. If we had just played like we did against KSU, Temple, and a few other games this year, we wouldn't be having this conversation. For me the Arizona loss in 1997 was just a tad bit worse, but I still feel like a ripped puppy right now.

SaintsLSU 4 years, 9 months ago

I know this is a tough Monday for you guys, but you don't want to fire Bill Self. He is the one who put that class together of D. Arthur, B. Rush, M. Chalmers, and Sherron & Cole from this year. We LSU football fans are having the same internal struggle about the coaching ability of Les Miles. He won the NC in '07, but does not seem to get the most out of a very talented squad year by year. That '07 team was one best college football teams in recent history, where just about any competent D-I coach could go 11-2. So, I can relate. I will leave you with this, appreciate your 2008 title, it is never guarenteed just because you have the talent, and a good coach. That is the beauty of this Tourney. Good luck you you guys next year.