Archive for Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Electrical problem in house pinpointed as cause of Tuesday night fire west of Lawrence

March 10, 2010, 4:48 a.m. Updated March 10, 2010, 11:48 a.m.

Advertisement

600 block of N. 1550 Rd

An electrical malfunction caused a fire Tuesday night in a vacant home west of Lawrence, fire crews said Wednesday morning.

Crews were dispatched about 10:52 p.m. Tuesday to the 600 block of North 1550 Road.

According to Kanwaka Township Fire Chief Chris Lesser, when emergency crews arrived, they discovered the western portion of a vacant home on fire. Lesser said the fire appeared to have started in the attic and then burned through the roof.

The house was unoccupied because the owners were remodeling. No one was injured.

Multiple fire crews from the area, which included crews from the Kanwaka Township, Lecompton and the Wakarusa Township were called to the scene.

The fire was declared under control shortly after 2 a.m. Wednesday. Lesser said damage to the house and its contents was estimated at $100,000.

Comments

sherbert 5 years, 1 month ago

Ironic that there's an electric company ad flashing in the middle of the article about an electric fire burning a down a house. Oops.

Mike Myers 5 years, 1 month ago

I think the ads are specifically designed to pop up when some specific words are present in the story. The ad that popped up for me was for a fire restoration company.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.