Archive for Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ford CEO to headline Lawrence schools fund-raiser this fall

The CEO of Ford, a LHS and KU alum, will be in town to speak at a fundraiser aimed at helping Lawrence schools. The keynote speaker is looking to raise more than $50,000.

March 4, 2010

Alan Mulally, Ford Motor Co.’s president and CEO, will return to Lawrence in September to raise funds for Lawrence public schools.

Mulally, a 1963 Lawrence High School graduate who earned two degrees from Kansas University, will be the keynote speaker for the Lawrence Schools Foundation’s 2010 Community Education Breakfast Sept. 3 at the Lawrence Holidome, the foundation announced Thursday.

Before joining Ford in 2006, Mulally was president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

The breakfast is the foundation’s largest annual fundraiser. Mulally is the latest high-profile Lawrence schools graduate to headline the event.

The past three keynote speakers have been Mark Dominik, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager; Brian McClendon, a Google vice president; and Chuck Mead, frontman for the band BR549.

“We think that when they get a successful start here that it has an impact on your success throughout life,” said Susan Esau, the foundation’s executive director.

Esau said the foundation hopes to top last year’s record $51,000 that the breakfast raised. The foundation annually provides about $300,000 in support to the school district, including for early-childhood programs.

Comments

BigPrune 4 years, 9 months ago

...and while this guy is in town, why not try to hit him up to build their next plant in Lawrence? I know the folks at KU would be upset, but at least Ford pays their workers well -better than KU does, and their jobs don't require a degree.

Lori Nation 4 years, 9 months ago

So what do they plan to spend the money on?

TheStig 4 years, 9 months ago

Alan Mulally has done a brilliant job with Ford under the most challenging conditions, and if what I hear about their new US models is true I'll be buying my first Ford product very soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec3rFWm1Who http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNwmo...

How does one get tickets to a breakfast, whatever that is.

tyson travis 4 years, 9 months ago

Great job at Ford [and Boeing], Alan. Glad to see a local graduate and classmate who hasn't forgotten his roots, this isn't the first contribution you've made to the local economy.. Ty Travis, AR, LHS '63, KU '67.

Sigmund 4 years, 9 months ago

TheStig (anonymous) says…"Alan Mulally has done a brilliant job with Ford under the most challenging conditions, and if what I hear about their new US models is true I'll be buying my first Ford product very soon."

I agree, but you have picked the wrong Ford. Sadly no plans to release the ST in the states. Perhaps Alan can bring this model to the US. If I understand correctly it is already sold in Mexico. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXr50...

fly_on_wall 4 years, 9 months ago

Bravo this makes me want to buy a Ford.