Letters to the Editor

Financial outrage

March 4, 2010

To the editor:

I read in the Journal-World about our school financial problems — a $5 million shortfall. I read about closing schools that educate our children. I read about teachers losing their jobs. Then I read about more state cutbacks which are literally taking food out of our senior citizens’ mouths. I read about the disabled losing their benefits. I read about millions of people across our nation losing their jobs, their homes, their retirements, their savings, their health insurance. Then I read about the bankers on Wall Street: Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Chase, etc. I read about how their average employee makes $340,000 per year and their executives are paid $90 billion in bonuses! It makes me sick to my stomach, yet no one does anything about it!

I read about polls which state that 80 percent of average Americans believe their voices are not heard in Congress because the big money bankers and the big money corporations have bought off all the politicians. Americans are not stupid, yet we continue to allow the very wealthy to enjoy massive amounts of luxurious lifestyles while the rest of us lose everything we have worked four our entire lives.

What happened in 2008 that caused the entire U.S. economy to crash? Why are the rich getting wealthier beyond our wildest imaginations while the vast majority of our country’s citizens are suffering at levels not seen since the Great Depression? Am I the only American that is outraged? What are we going to do about it? What can we do about it?

Comments

moirafiby 5 years, 1 month ago

oldvet 5 years, 1 month ago

Go to a top-tier business school, earn your MBA in finance, then you too can work your way into a job in NYC that pays $340K and you can quit your whining... The only person stopping you from doing this is the one who looks at you each day in your mirror...

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

It is more apparent than ever that school districts are needing additional sources of funding. Teachers deserve salary increases and decent health insurance. Our legislature is not a reliable source although by law it is a state responsibility.

Neighborhood schools are good for parents and children. No neighborhood wants to be without an elementary school within the neighborhood. Citizens have spoken out on this issue numerous times.

Local property owners cannot afford a 10% loss in property value due to the closing of a school. Lawrence certainly cannot afford to participate to lose that revenue so why do it?

There are families that which cannot afford two cars or bus transportation. Therefore walking and/or bicycling become the modes of choice.

How do we solve this problem for the long term?

Three revenue sources could be made available:

• a local source to help fund USD 497 medical insurance, salaries, and perhaps school fees. This could become available as a dedicated City of Lawrence USD 497 user fee: http://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2003/mar/teacher_salaries/

• online state wide sales tax dedicated to public schools ONLY for academics is a reasonable source.

• remove sales tax exemptions across the board

• All suggestions would be better than a sales tax increase across the board as such

kansasmutt 5 years, 1 month ago

A good employee is worth his or her weight in gold. I do have a problem with companies that take my tax dollars in form of a bailout and turn around and give out billions in bonuses and trips. I have a problem with banks who got a bailout and quit loaning money , but spent billions on buying up foreclosed property only to pad their so called equity. I have a problem with mortgage companies who still to this day are not playing by the rules and wont refi a home to help out someone on a fixed income. Our voices are heard, but ignored. We the people do not count. Soon the have nots, will have less and that my friends will never change. The infow of peoples from other countries has lead to our ways being thined like adding water to paint. They all come here and they all want to change things, and now we have a thin , clear liquid we call America. Sorry Edgar, but this is what happens to a free nation , after a couple hundred years of do gooders. I wish it was 1969 again. Most are now just lemmings and have no cule as to what choice is and think a new law is needed for every little thing.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, the Republican Party is not concerned about CEO compensation.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot to admire about the Democrats either.

The little guy is going to have to make it on his own. That is what we Americans do. We figure out how to survive.

Politicians love to take advantage of our fears and anger. We need to stop letting that happen. At election time, let's show them the door.

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

The only thing I would like to add is, I think it started before 2008. Sorry Liberty_One, I overslept and missed the Revolution, but I was there in spirit.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 1 month ago

When you study what happened at Enron and with Bernie Madoff you wonder how these guys got away with murder for so long.

I think a lot of people that should have stopped this immorality just gave them a winky wink and a smile.

If we don't express our outrage at election time, nothing will ever change.

John Hamm 5 years, 1 month ago

"Everything is fixed and you can't change it." Jesus Christ to Pontius Pilate (Jesus Christ Superstar)

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

The situation is a result of the Golden Rule. The ones with the gold make the rules.

jafs 5 years, 1 month ago

Larry,

In this country, not that long ago, the ratio between top pay/average pay was significantly less than it is now.

During the 50's, one could raise a family on one income, owning a home and a car. Pension plans were routinely available, with defined benefits, and people worked at one place for 20-30 years.

Now, folks are struggling with two incomes, no pension plans, and many more job changes.

whats_going_on 5 years, 1 month ago

We're screwed. Big business isn't going to magically grow a conscious and realize they are greedy...I'm sick and tired of everyone thinking it will happen without intervention. Common sense is common sense.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 1 month ago

"...we continue to allow the very wealthy to enjoy massive amounts of luxurious lifestyles..."

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

oldvet says: "Go to a top-tier business school, earn your MBA in finance, then you too can work your way into a job in NYC that pays $340K and you can quit your whining..."

Sure, you can join the Wall Street racket of free money, moral hazard and political graft. But there are other paths to great wealth in this country. You can sell drugs. You can defraud Medicare. You can start a child prostitution ring...

Some things are illegal and some things should be.

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

Some things are illegal and some things should be.

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

Some things are illegal and some things should be.

rse1979 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree wolfy, multi-posts should be illegal.

beaujackson 5 years, 1 month ago

Housing suitable for families in the Centennial neighborhood have lost MORE than 10% of their resale value after 497 closed Centennial school. Probably closer to 20%.

Houses suitable for renting to KU students have gained in value.

The city is oblivious to this problem, consequently ALL houses continually have higher valuations year after year.

beaujackson 5 years, 1 month ago

Houses suitable for renting to KU students have gained in value.

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

Unintentional. My computer sometimes has a mind of its own.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 1 month ago

I think when the Christian Right and Evangelicals began to support the Republican Party, both political parties started to go downhill.

Religious leaders need to stand apart from politics. By becoming part of the game, they only made it worse.

Now the Republicans can do anything because they think they are the party of God.

Even when they rip off the little guy. It is all in the name of God and Liberty.

If you think you are listening to a bunch of crap between these two political parties you are absolutely correct. They are a bunch of wind bags just trying to get our money and being very successful at it.

PosseComitatus 5 years, 1 month ago

Edgar, bravo to you for seeing the problem.

Hydra, bravo to you for the best one line advice that everyone should heed, "Think globally, act locally!"

workinghard 5 years, 1 month ago

Edgar, in case you were wondering what the removed comment was, it was not about your letter. It was a link that took you to a website to apply for health insurance, in other words spam.

JHOK32 5 years, 1 month ago

edjayhawk: I'm sure OldVet would not mind sending us to Yale for 6 years to get our MBA like Bushy's daddy did for him, probably wouldn't cost much more than about half a mil. Heck, he might even buy us the Presidency too!

weeslicket 5 years, 1 month ago

STRS (with your permission): "It is not Mr. Wells' right or responsibility to determine any one else's lifestyle. This is true no matter how badly he wants equal socioeconomic outcomes for all Americans."

true enough. but witnessing greed and gluttony is a disgusting experience. i know that is my feeling about this topic; perhaps others share a similar feeling perspective.

(and no cato_the_elder, the previous opinion is not equal to envy.)

PosseComitatus 5 years, 1 month ago

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850), French economist

georgiahawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Kansasmutt, how do you go from criticizing greed by the rich to blaming foriegners and do-gooders? Do you even try to use logic or is this what passes for logic in your world?

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

rse1979 (anonymous) says… I agree wolfy, multi-posts should be illegal. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ wolfy (anonymous) says… Unintentional. My computer sometimes has a mind of its own.

I don't know if I would blame your computer just yet. The New LJW server, etc doesn't seem to be what it was cracked up to be. At times it screws up as much or more than the old one, and part of the search engine/layout of the new format is back to suck mode. I have had enough trouble with the browser even finding the site or switching from one thread to another that it isn't hardly worth the time to mess with. I don't know what happened to the speed it had over the old one when it first launched. Either way I am treating this site like a car. If I have to spend more time under the hood than I do driving it, I ditch the car for another one. Like wise with this site. There are days I just leave it alone because it isn't worth screwing away the time waiting for it to not work.

Just like this post. It has taken 6 attempts to get this far. I have no idea how many more tries it will take to post. Either way I am just about done with this crap. I have better things to do than stare at a computer screen waiting for something to happen.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Look according to radio news on Thursday 15 million in the USA are out of work.

If the USA does not bring the troops home this economy will be screwed for a longer period of time. That needless military action is killing this economy in addition to the republican led financial scandals.

This war is costing as we speak several trillion dollars due to the heavy load of disabled soldiers coming home. We cannot afford the war.

We cannot afford the private army that Bush/Cheney brought on board. Over 100,000 mercenaries at about $3,000 per day. Have we lost out ability to think?

Radio news is not optimistic about the future of this economy because no new industry has been created to speak of in the last 30 years. 30 years ago is when Reagnanomics began sending OUR jobs abroad. Millions more are slated for INDIA.

Where is the outrage?

PosseComitatus 5 years, 1 month ago

I read opinions and studies from all different angles. I would recommend a little Robert Reich for the people who are fed up but don't want to be hit with some "tea" label.