Archive for Monday, June 28, 2010

Heat-related animal calls on the rise

Sisters Lauren Fleming and Megan Fleming, Lawrence, play with Smudge outdoors on a volunteer visit to the Lawrence Humane Society in 2010. The shelter limits outdoor time for dogs on hot days. A Lawrence city ordinance makes it unlawful to leave any animal confined in a vehicle for more than five minutes in extreme weather conditions, defined as less than 30 degrees or more than 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

June 28, 2010

Northeast Kansas finally gets a break from the sweltering temperatures, but it’s little relief for our four-legged friends.

Summer heat dangerous for area pets

The number of animal cruelty calls has been on the rise in June, with a majority of those calls coming when people leaving their pets in cars during the day. Local ordinances state you can't leave your pets in a vehicle when the temperature is higher than 80 degrees. Enlarge video

Humane society officials said the hot weather can turn dangerous for animals in a matter of minutes.

“I think the number one thing for people to remember is that they can’t sweat, they’re wearing fur and they can’t be outside in this heat,” Lawrence Humane Society Executive Director Midge Grinstead said.

Animal cruelty calls are up for the month of June. With nearly 60 calls, Grinstead said the calls for neglect and cruelty are approaching a record, and she said the majority of those calls have been either for pets left outside when the heat index was soaring above the 100 degree mark or for pets left in vehicles, where Grinstead has seen temperatures reach upwards of 125 degrees.

In fact, just last week, animal control officers seized a bird and two kittens from a hot car in the parking lot of a South Lawrence shopping center. Grinstead said the tropical bird was somewhat used to the heat, but the kittens were in severe distress and had to be taken to a local vet.

“I did a deal once where I dressed in a fur coat and sat in a car on an 85 degree day, and I lasted maybe a total of ten minutes,” Grinstead said. “And I can sweat, so I could cool myself down. An animal can’t do that. They’re breathing in the hot air, trying to cool themselves down and accelerating the overheating.”

Lawrence city ordinance prohibits leaving your pet in an unattended car anytime the temperature outside is above 80 degrees, but Grinstead said it can be just as dangerous to exercise outdoors with your pet in the heat of the day, or leave your dog in your yard without appropriate shelter or water.

“Keep your animal at home,” Grinstead said. “That’s the bottom line. If you love your pet, leave them at home.”

Comments

Jennifer Alexander 4 years, 4 months ago

NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your pet in the car!!!!! I worked with a man once who did that during work. He ran back into the office b/c he forgot something, he then got a call, and forgot about the dog. The dog died of heat stroke/exhaustion in the car. It was a warm summer day, maybe 85 degrees. It can happen so fast. Even with the windows down, it gets warm. Please think sensibly when it comes to your pets. Here is a link to a downloadable flyer that you can use to hand out, put on cars, etc. I always have 5 or 6 in my vehicle, and I go through all of them during the summer months.

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 4 months ago

Those are great flyers! Thanks for sharing. I am going to keep a handful in my car as well. It really irks me when I see the poor pups in a car!

UAN1987 4 years, 4 months ago

@jchristine2 Thank you for promoting United Animal Nations' My Dog Is Cool campaign and for making use of the flyers!

@fleeba Yes please do! We are excited to hear that people are using them. Spread the word about the flyers and the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars! To order or download educational fliers and posters, or to enter your zip code and find out if it is too hot to bring your dog in the car, visit: www.MyDogIsCool.com

lily 4 years, 4 months ago

I reported pets and kids in a car once and the owner of the establishment where the responsible parties were filed a complaint because it ran off his business!! I got in trouble! Go figure that one. People, leave your pets at home and your kids with a sitter. The car does not qualify as a temporary day care.

Kevin Randell 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree with CWGOKU...keep up the fight!

jehovah_bob 4 years, 4 months ago

Gobble, gobble, oh gawd it's HOT! Gobble Gobble.

Sorry, that's the best heat related animal call that I can do.

yankeevet 4 years, 4 months ago

My dog stays inside; air condition and watches animal planet.........while eating a bacon and egg sandwich..........lol.......

whatadrag 4 years, 4 months ago

My dog watches HBO, with bacon, egg AND cheese sandwiches. He also has a jacuzzi- hot-tub.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 4 months ago

"Oh no..they took Zeus" "Zeus? That's Alan's Dog" "I know" "Oh no" "I know"

Carlos Spicyweiner: "Hey, what'd you do to that dog we took?" Luke: "I cooked it and ate it!" "Rebels! Yeah, Rebels!"

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Please people!

dogs rely on us. they can't talk for themselves.

please consider that dog's needs and keep him or her safe! your dog is almost certainly devoted to you. perhaps more reliable than some of the humans in your life.

the heart of a dog is noble and precious. take care of him.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

and by the way, Gnomedog loves my homemade meatloaf. he likes anything I cook that's spicey.

he is always a comfort when I am hurting or sad.

Gnomedog is my walking companion. some of the best moments of each day I spend with him.

geoismeo 4 years, 4 months ago

Midge Grinstead, loves animals, hates people. LJW, could you please find another "authority" to quote now and then? Too much paper time gives her an even larger head.