Letters to the Editor

Plant theft

June 19, 2010

To the editor:

This is to the person who stole my large plant late Monday, early Tuesday. Here’s what I suspect:

1) You’re not a plant lover, because they don’t rob aficionados of their joy.

2) You aren’t one of my neighbors or friends, because I trust them.

3) Feeling shame is not in your character.

4) What goes around will eventually come back to you.

Here’s what you don’t know:

1) It was a gift from a friend, because I often expressed admiration for his plant.

2) It was a source of pride to watch it grow and attain its mature size over many years.

3) If asked, I would have given you seeds to grow your own. It’s more rewarding than stealing one.

Comments

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

Laurie, if you post the plant's species, maybe everybody can be on the lookout. The halfwit who stole it will probably proudly display it in his/her living room or on the deck.

Same thing happened to a couple I know in Baldwin. The husband wrote a letter to the editor and was amazed a couple weeks later when the plant mysteriously returned in the night. Here's hoping for a similar outcome for you.

lauriedoud 4 years, 11 months ago

Excellent idea, Pywacket!! The plant's name is Asparagus densiflorus and was in a ~15" cream colored plastic pot. A similar photo can be viewed at:http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/651/390651_Asparagus_densiflorus_Meyersii1.jpg However the cone shaped fronds were elongated, which spiraled down over the pot. Wouldn't it be nice if we all looked out for one another?----Laurie Doud

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh ye of little understanding. My sister has a peace lily that she has had since 1994. She has loved it and cared for it. She was almost heartbroken when she thought she had lost it in a house fire but was able to nurture it back to life. After that she had the thought to give starts of it to my sister and me, which we accepted joyfully. Why so much fuss over a plant? It came from our father's funeral; not just a symbol of our connection to him but a symbol of the ever continuing circle of life.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 11 months ago

Please, Mr. Kealing, you can't disable this user? I looked at their account. 80 posts, EIGHTY POSTS and all they post is spam. Isn't this in conflict with your advertisers? I don't get enough of this compost in my e-mail?

Scott Drummond 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree. This nonsense should not be tolerated. Give him a couple of warnings to stop and then ban him.

rbwaa 4 years, 11 months ago

although it's not much i make sure to 'suggest removal' on every one of these posts i come across...they usually occur early in the morning before Mr. Kealing can get to them. He says he appreciates all the help he can get with identifying these criminals. they frequently change their usernames so it is difficult to keep up with them.

whats_going_on 4 years, 11 months ago

Was it planted in the ground? If so, might have been an animal.

ForThePeople 4 years, 11 months ago

Sorry to hear when something like this happens. I had a similar thing happen to me many years back. I've always been a total garden and plant freak, but at that time in my life had very little money. That year I broke down and purchased a beautiful hanging fuschia and put it on my front porch to enjoy. Well if you've grown these, you konw they can be quite picky and need things just right to thrive. One morning I woke to no fuschia. I suspected it was someone who'd been walking by that had taken it, so I took a stroll around my neighborhood.
Lo and behold, I found my fuschia, not even a half block away, boldly hanging out in the full sun on someone's apt. deck. Poor thing was wilting already. Needless to say I was PO'd, but hubby was even more so and proceeded to walk down there and demand my plant back. Of course the offender handed it over immediately. If they'd have had it one more day, it would have been dead. Anywho, if I was you, I would keep my eye open in my own neighborhood. In my opinion more often than not people who steal plants, seldom know what to do with them once they have them. It is sad that someone would do something like this, as I am like you and would have gladly offered them a cutting and the information on how to care for it.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

If the Community Organizer in Chief stays on his course and destroys the economy we'll all be eating peace lilies.

been_there 4 years, 11 months ago

It's called freedom of speech, much like your choice of your user name.

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

In reality, we have no freedom of speech on the forum. We are allowed to post what the LJW deems appropriate. Take heart though, your impulse to defend his choice of username whether you like it or not, even for an invalid reason puts you ahead of about 99.9% of people here.

Mr Oreobama, it isn't such a bad letter. It's one way for her to confront the thief.

yankeelady 4 years, 11 months ago

It isn't an idiotic letter at all. What it boils down to is "don't take things that aren't yours".

workinghard 4 years, 11 months ago

Oreobama ___Just give the lady back her plant already.

workinghard 4 years, 11 months ago

Umm, both Bush presidents and Haliburton.

BruceWayne 4 years, 11 months ago

bet it will be dried,smoked, and gone by the weekend.

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

LOL. I knew someone was going to insinuate it was a pot plant sooner or later. It was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

For all you plant thieves, a certain hardware store on 23rd which will remain nameless is having a 50% off sale. Go pay half price and quit stealing from your neighbors.

Irenaku 4 years, 11 months ago

Laurie, I am so sorry this happened to you! I hate it when people steal, how can people feel any joy from that? Please post the species of plant and it may be returned!!

1029 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't understand why anyone would need to steal a plant when there are free ones all over town this time of year. There are some wonderful plants in front of Dillon's and Ace Hardware right now. They are all right outside and you're allowed to take as many as you like.

fester0420 4 years, 11 months ago

do you really think that the person who took it would read the paper. i dought it