To the editor:
This is to the person who stole my large plant late Monday, early Tuesday. Here’s what I suspect:
1) You’re not a plant lover, because they don’t rob aficionados of their joy.
2) You aren’t one of my neighbors or friends, because I trust them.
3) Feeling shame is not in your character.
4) What goes around will eventually come back to you.
Here’s what you don’t know:
1) It was a gift from a friend, because I often expressed admiration for his plant.
2) It was a source of pride to watch it grow and attain its mature size over many years.
3) If asked, I would have given you seeds to grow your own. It’s more rewarding than stealing one.