Archive for Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Group wants to give LHS a boost

Boosters are hoping they can add more amenities to the new press box, including ticket counters and concession stands.

June 16, 2010

Plans are under way to make major improvements at the Lawrence High School stadium, thanks to the district approving nearly a half-million dollars for various projects. But now a group wants to do even more.

The group — called Building on Traditions — hopes to raise $300,000 to add a brick surround for the football field scoreboard. The money also would fund archways at the ticket booths to enter the athletic fields.

Doug Gaston, who serves on the Building on Traditions committee, says the additions serve as the “wrapping paper” or “bow” on the district’s gift to the high school.

Before launching its public fundraising campaign, the group already raised $96,000. Twenty donors stepped forward with contributions.

Monday night, the group asked the school board for approval to offer extra incentive to people considering making contributions. Judy Keller asked that the LHS group be allowed to offer donors naming and recognition rights at the stadium. For example, those donating $1,000 could have their name placed on a plaque. Those donating $100,000 or more might have their name on the scoreboard enclosure.

Several board members expressed concern about offering naming rights to structures within the stadium.

“I think naming, we still have questions about,” said board President Scott Morgan.

School board member Mary Loveland said she’s had experience with the process of naming buildings throughout the district.

“It can be an agonizing experience,” she said.

She also expressed concern about offering naming rights for substantial donations.

The board unanimously agreed to allow the organization to give donors the option of having their name placed on a plaque. But the group must return to the board for approval if a person making a substantial donation wanted their name placed on a building.

For more information on Building on Traditions, visit the organization’s website, lhstraditions.org.

Comments

smercer 4 years, 10 months ago

The donor letter on the website says "The LHS Building on Traditions Campaign is a parent-led effort to enhance the outdoor facilities at LHS and to provide sorely needed scholarship funds for students who want to participate in our activities but may simply need a little extra help. "

What a great idea to have scholarships to make sports affordable for low-income students!

However, the $301K project budget includes zero, zilch, nada for scholarships. http://www.lhstraditions.org/plan/project-budget/ 100K for scoreboard encasements but nothing for scholarships. What gives?

dougmarshall 4 years, 10 months ago

I didn't see anything on the site about scholarships. Where did you get this information? Why would kids need scholarships at a public high school?

maxcrabb 4 years, 10 months ago

To pay for fees, shoes, socks, extra pads, provide arrangements to get kids home when the parents work late/other shifts than the 9 to 5 grind. These are just things off the top of my head. Remember PAY TO PLAY? Yeah, it's still around.

dougmarshall 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks maxcrabb. I didn't realize all those things were "required". I guess that's why I like the football players who don't wear gloves, etc. and the baseball players who use dirt instead of batting gloves. If a coach has kids who want to play, they won't turn them out just because they don't have money. I guess if I had kids it would make more sense.

maxcrabb 4 years, 10 months ago

The biggest part is "pay to play". It's more apparent in sports where there are less 'boosters' and alumni willing to help out financially. You do have to pay a fee to play on a high school team. You have to pass a physical as well. I think you may have to pass the physical before you can even try out, but it's been a few years.

dougmarshall 4 years, 10 months ago

Really? Can you do this? What a way to abuse the right to free speech. Have you no shame itkonlyyou123?

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

Why does it cost $21,000 for a ticket booth?

whats_going_on 4 years, 10 months ago

honestly, compared to Free State on all of their "backers" and rich jerks who pay for upgrades to a very young school (see: Compton and Co.), LHS is getting the short end of the stick. Although, I saw nothing wrong with Haskell either, can fans REALLY fit in the new stadiums?

lily 4 years, 10 months ago

There's probably a lot that isn't necessary but I feel the difference between the two schools. Why shouldn't LHS have some of the finer things? Although I wish they would take away the attention from big donor stuff and put it out there to welcome any donations. Maybe someone could only afford $5 or $10 but that's more than they had and every little bit helps.
Maybe class reunions could do fundraisers to donate and the class could have their name on a plaque. I think LHS grads would rally round the Lion!

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 10 months ago

Why doesn't the $300k go towards the restrooms and pressbox? That would bring the district's cost back down to what they had already "budgeted" for those items.

whats_going_on 4 years, 10 months ago

haha complained...while they are home asleep in bed. Irony for the loss.

webmocker 4 years, 10 months ago

If this happens, would the school district then need to spend at Free State whatever is raised and spent at LHS, to make sure everything is equal? If I'm not mistaken, the district is spending tax money to make up for private improvements done at Free State. This is a potentially never ending game of private spending begets public spending begets...

maxcrabb 4 years, 10 months ago

Methinks we have a movie in the works. Would you pass intellectual rights on to me for the screenplay? I'll cut you in 50% on merchandising.

webmocker 4 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. I'll have my entertainment lawyer contact your entertainment lawyer.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 10 months ago

Isn't this how we had to spend more money in the first place because a booster gave money to one and not the other?

Let's just say we all love our kids equally and put down arms.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Easy_D_I. ALL contributions should be placed in a general fund for BOTH high schools and divided equally. This practice should have never been allowed to start; it will never end in this fashion. Why does the SB continually shoot themselves in the feet with moves like this???