Archive for Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Congressman issues apology

June 15, 2010

— A Democratic congressman apologized Monday after video posted online showed him swatting at the camera, demanding that two men taping him identify themselves and grabbing one of them by the wrist and neck.

“I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved,” Rep. Bob Etheridge of North Carolina said in a statement. “No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response.”

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"The video was posted on websites owned by Andrew Breitbart, the conservative Web entrepreneur who also released video of workers for the community organizing group ACORN counseling actors posing as a pimp and prostitute."

That's not what happened. That's merely how Breitbart lied about what was done at ACORN offices.

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

Saw that video on facebook. Russell Simmons posted it there from hes "Global Grind" I was appalled that ANYONE would treat another human being so rudely!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"Bush's fault!"

I caught a little bit of Glenn Beck as he was showing this video, and he was doing his usual of trying to make the actions of this congressman "Obama's fault."

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

Beck is wrong! It's Bush's fault. It just has to be.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

If this congressman had been a Republican, and the reporter were Michael Moore, you'd be cheering him on as a "great Amurican."

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

Even if that's true, this guy did assault someone.

Shouldn't he be held accountable?

And, his comments are way off as well - he doesn't have the "right to know who you are" - if he doesn't want to answer questions, he can simply walk away.

If it's illegal for people to video public figures on the street without their consent, he can call the police.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't in any way condone this guy's actions. As a matter of fact, I think he should probably just resign from Congress, effective immediately.

Majestic42 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm a conservative, and I heartily agree that anyone in office who acts this way shouldn't be in office anymore. Republican or Democrat, this guy was a total jerk and deserves even more negative attention than he's already getting.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"If he was a Republican he would deserve to go to jail just the same. The only difference is that you would be on here claiming that this idiots violent temper was somehow indicative of every republican."

You mean like the way Glenn Beck tried to blame Obama for this incident?

"On a side note Michael Moore isn't a reporter, and yes I would cheer on anyone that punched him in his fat head regardless of if they should or shouldn't be arrested for it."

That would make you a violent hypocrite.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

Glenn Beck trying to blame Obama (have to take your word on that as I've not seen whatever it is you're referring to) isn't Glenn Beck trying to paint every Democrat with the same brush. Nice try.

Maybe you could explain the violent hypocrisy in me enjoying Michael Moore getting punched in the kisser? What exactly am I being hypocritical about?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"isn't Glenn Beck trying to paint every Democrat with the same brush."

"Maybe you could explain the violent hypocrisy in me enjoying Michael Moore getting punched in the kisser? "

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

"I've yet to figure out what Glenn Beck is trying to do, given that most everything I've ever heard from him is nonsensical gibberish."

Maybe you shouldn't use it as an example then if can't figure out what he's doing. I'm just saying.

"If on one hand you condemn violence, but then cheer on someone committing violence, that means you yourself are violent, and a hypocrite. Pretty simple, really."

I never condemed anything. I said that regardless of the personal political alignment the person needed arrested because what was done it illegal. I also said regardless of this fact I'd like to see someone punch MM in the mouth. That doesn't mean they shouldn't, or wouldn't, go to jail for it. No hypocrisy about it. Thanks for playing.

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

If he's a grandfather he might be a closet tea partier. That would make him a great scapegoat for our two-faced liberals, not including those in this thread that are actually condemning the elected official for his assault. To those liberals, I say kudos for spitting out the koolaid.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

I expect he's upset because there are lots of racist teabaggers in his district, and being too closely associated with a brown president may work against him.

Majestic42 4 years, 11 months ago

Riiight. And the proof for the racist people is...where? (Also, calling Tea Party members Tea"baggers" is disrespectful, childish, and not really funny anymore. Just thought you should know.)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

They call themselves a silly name, and I call them a different silly name-- all in good fun.

Liberty275 4 years, 11 months ago

Can we call obama a silly name all in good fun?

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

Considering the antagonist's past history, I'm gonna need to know what was said to the rep before passing any judgement. Haven't heard the whole story but saw the tape; sure didn't look like such a big deal to me. If he was purposely baited and/or this 'activist' crossed the line of decorum, I've got no problem whatsoever with the congressman gettin' slightly physical.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, then you don't understand or care about the law.

Nobody has the legal right to hit someone because of something they've said.

If you don't like what someone says to you, walk away.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

Quit stalking me with these moronic posts, jafs. I don't understand or care about the law?! That's the kind of empty, illogical assertion a teenager would make.
And I didn't see the man hit anyone, did you? Nor did I say anyone has such a legal right. Feel free to play the higher road pacifist , at least 'til you're put in a similar situation. Then come talk to me.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

If you don't like people responding to your comments, then you should stop making them.

You said you had no problem with "getting physical" if baited.

He grabbed the guy's arm and throat - that's assault, pure and simple.

I have never assaulted anyone because of something they've said to me.

And, insulting people who post comments you don't like is pretty immature.

In addition, elected officials are public figures, and should be aware of that fact.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"And, insulting people who post comments you don't like is pretty immature."

But that's pretty much his fallback position, and why I no longer try to engage him in any of these forums.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

Sure that's the reason, bozo. You just didn't like to keep gettin' your rear handed to you on a platter, pal. I see you had no problem snipin' here 'cuz you gotta a little friend to side with for a change. Darn brave of ya.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

I have no problem with people responding to my posts, as long as they have something worth saying. Asserting I don't understand or care about the law is just plain moronic.

"He grabbed they guy's arm and throat.."

First of all, he didn't grab the guy's throat, he pushed him. And grabbing someone's arm is not "assault", unless you're the biggest pansy walking the Earth. Your call.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, I see now - you're just a bully.

Actually, the proper legal term would probably be battery, but people generally refer to it as assault.

Nobody has the right to touch/grab/push anyone else without their consent.

If you do that to others when you don't like what they say, I certainly hope you're arrested, charged and convicted.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

You're right - battery is the proper term.

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

My goodness jay takes himself seriously -- and those who don't agree with me are "moronic" and use the logic of a teenager! Oh, that is just great.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

Not what I said, bea, but shocking that's what you'd come up with. And my, aren't you the new self-appointed "hall monitor" you've so often ripped others for playing. Who takes himself seriously again?

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

Etheridge was taking that "hit back twice as hard" bit too literally.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm amazed Etheridge didn't whistle up some SEIU thugs to bust heads.

jmadison 4 years, 11 months ago

Had Etheridge just left a caucus with Jack Daniels?

BigPrune 4 years, 11 months ago

I read somewhere the good Congressman just check himself into a rehab clinic for sex addicts.

Majestic42 4 years, 11 months ago

In your list, you forgot the one who started it all: Michael Moore.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

And again, if people don't want to answer questions, they can simply decline to do so.

The best part of a Michael Moore movie that I've seen is the part where Charlton Heston invites Moore in and gives an interview for a while, saying some pretty stupid things.

When asked if he (Moore) felt bad about making Heston look bad, he said "No, I didn't make him say stupid things - I just asked some questions."

Kontum1972 4 years, 11 months ago

and the dude with the sunglasses is going to do some time...hope his new roomie will be to his liking....

cato_the_elder 4 years, 11 months ago

For the record, all of you who have referred to "assault" need to know that what the Congressman committed, at least based on my review of the tape, was both an assault and a battery. In most jurisdictions "battery" can be simply an offensive touching (e.g., fondling a woman on a crowded subway train). The significance of this is that battery is designated statutorily in some jurisdictions as a more serious crime, carrying more serious penalties, than assault. I don't know whether that's the case in D.C., assuming that the confrontation occurred there.

whats_going_on 4 years, 11 months ago

good god, every affiliation has bad apples, quit pointing fingers. It's getting really old, and it's not helping anything.