Letters to the Editor

Facts lacking

June 13, 2010

To the editor:

I opened up the editorial/opinion page on Wednesday to see the following highlighted in big bold letters on the Cal Thomas opinion piece: “The president’s declining polls numbers reveal the disillusionment that has begun to sink in among the politically unsophisticated.”

So I read the column. I may or may not be among “the politically unsophisticated” but I’m smart enough to know that not once was a poll cited to support this statement.

The only citation was Politico. Now, I don’t know if it’s Mr. Politico or Mrs. Politico, or Ms. Politico, or Master Politico or what.

Who knows how reliable this “Politico” reference is.

I may or may not be “politically unsophisticated” but I know when I’m being hornswoggled with distortion by indirection.

For the record, I generally look at the Real Clear Politics website a couple of times a week. I just checked the numbers. Obama is at 47.5 percent approval. About where he’s been for over six months.

Comments

weeslicket 3 years, 10 months ago

i pretty much skip over anything that starts with merrill or tom shwemon. that saved me a lot of time on this thread.

fred cleaver says: I enjoy opinion pieces, I just like opinion to be based on some facts that I can verify. This column seems to be lacking in said facts.

anyhoo-- this is the link cal was quoting from. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38219.html (don't you just love it when an editorialist quotes from the first two paragraphs of someone else's piece. digging deep, brotha'. digging deep.)

check out this quoate from that politico article: "Once the exchanges open and the tax credits become available in 2014, many of the low- and middle-income people who use limited-benefit plans are likely to qualify for the credits. But that’s after three years of limbo."

after reading this piece, i am left wondering if maybe conservative people would have applauded a public option. just wondering.

hope this helps.

devobrun 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure are a lot of facts in this LTE and the responses. LTE sites facts. Merrill sites facts. Beo, edjayhawk, all siting facts.

Are you sure these are facts? Or are they links to web sites that state that these are facts. Lets see: A relationship sited in a weblog, sited by another guy who sounds like a computer program.

Look, I've never been a Bush fan, nor a republican fan...but if the left wants to win me by giving me facts, then they should be more clear about what is termed a fact..

Most of those links given by merrill are quite unconvincing.

From the Democracy Now entry:

"It’s been exactly one year since the onset of the financial crisis and the passage of the Bush administration’s $700 billion bailout of Wall Street. But what were the factors in deciding who received bailout funds? And what happened to all the money? The answer to those two simple questions is: We don’t know."

Now that's honest reportage. We don't know. Doesn't sound like facts to me. The rest of the article is speculation and assertion.

Sigh. People so convinced of their knowledge. Facts. Bologna.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

This is why bozo is a good leftist LJW neighbor---he opines from his heart. He is consistent and believes what he believes. I respect him for that. His posts mean something, no matter what side you're on.

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

Every bit of pablum merrill spams on the board are from irresponsible left-wing advocacy mouthpieces. Do you really trust a website run on a subdomain of tripod.com? There's a reason nobody bothers reading them.

beobachter 3 years, 10 months ago

Tom and most right_thinkers have problems with facts. After all in their world, only Beck, Foxnews and the druggie are real. I agree, they fortunately a very small minority.

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I guess the fact that Merrill presents facts and logic bothers you emotional right-wingers that support a druggie, Glen Beck, and Faux News. BTW, your insult on the "lamestream media" just proves the point that you guys are a small minority.

devobrun 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Tom. I've noticed merrill for years now. But I start to read his entries and just glaze over. They don't make me mad. They don't make me think. They don't offer new insights. They are amazing in their banality.

After I feel guilty for my existence, I wonder how merrill exists. Eureka! He doesn't exist. He is a virtual reality. 'Splains a lot.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

I've said that before devo, that 'merrill' is an LJW computer program developed by the leftist moderators at LJW that automatically post/re-post a loop using "trigger" words, like "Bush" or "oil" or "war" or "corporate" etc etc etc.

LOL and may god bless!

devobrun 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey ah merrill, take a look at this:

"Van der Sloot's Facebook picture is a near-empty bottle of Johnny Walker Red whisky, corked, with a powerboat at rest in the ocean as a backdrop. He likes the rapper Notorious B.I.G. and pop singer Katy Perry, the TV show South Park. He has 160 kills in the game "Mob Wars" and likes "Pissing in random places when totally drunk/wasted," Texas Hold'em Poker, Heineken beer and Barack Obama. "

By FRANK BAJAK, Associated Press Writer June 13, 2010

What does it mean merrill? Am I a republican stooge? No. Is the AP report a polemic against Barry? What does it mean merrill?

Nothing.

Just like your posts, or did I miss something. Did I miss something, merrill? Are your posts human generated, or are they computer based demo-prop?

devobrun 3 years, 10 months ago

Seven hours ago I asked merrill if he was a computer. The previous hour he had spent 45 minutes composing quite a list of bad republicans and why we should hate republicanism.

In the past 7 hours....nothing. I guess he produced his propaganda and needs not to respond to any inquiries.

Or maybe his computer program isn't set up tp respond as a human.

Or maybe he has no idea how to engage in a discussion without simply quoting pundits and opinion pieces he reads in the papers.

I think merrill is not human. I think merrill is a computer program that emulated a human pretty well, but is not advanced enough to engage in real human debate, so he doesn't respond as a human would.

What do the rest of you think....merrill human or merrill artificial intelligence?

He sure can bring forth a lot of democratic propaganda, with links, in 45 minutes. I choose computer.

cavtrooper 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh my.... Remember kiddies: Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

I have voted for the reform party since it's existence. I think both the democrats and republicans are criminals !

devobrun 3 years, 10 months ago

I've noticed this too, jaywalker. I start to read merrill and I get this impersonal feeling that he is a computer program that generates democrat party lines and fills in with links.

It comes across as non-human. Without origins in human thought. rat-a-tat spewing of a mantra: repubs are bad. repubs are bad. Well maybe they are merrill. But your posts are quite unconvincing.
Are you human? We want to know.

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

Wondering if there's anyone anywhere that posts with the frequency of merril only to have them all go virtually unread. It's like having huge gaps of non-white space to scroll past to get to readable material.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Remember Lehman Brothers was allowed to go down as it should.... as all of them should have.

Oddly on the Lehman Bros payroll was Jeb Bush and cousin George Walker.

Too many Bushes(and Bush family of politicians) = financial disasters consistently

Who is among the Bush Familiy of politicians?

Elliott Abrams / Gary Bauer / William J. Bennett / Jeb Bush /

Dick Cheney / Eliot A. Cohen / Midge Decter / Paula Dobriansky / Steve Forbes /

Aaron Friedberg / Francis Fukuyama / Frank Gaffney / Fred C. Ikle /

Donald Kagan / Zalmay Khalilzad / I. Lewis Libby / Norman Podhoretz /

Dan Quayle / Peter W. Rodman / Stephen P. Rosen / Henry S. Rowen /

Donald Rumsfeld / Vin Weber / George Weigel / Paul Wolfowitz /

Behind the scene:

Newt Gingrich / George Herbert Walker Bush / James Baker / Vice Adm John Poindexter

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

Obama is your classic "judge and jury" on all things. He could give a flying fig about your rights, the constitution or the liberties and freedoms it guarantees. As a Palin said, Obama would grab your guns in a heartbeat if he could get away with it. I believe she is correct---dead on correct.

The Anointed One tries to be the political wizard, everything calculated and intentional, usually based on his rigid progressive ideology. The problem is, it has for the most part backfired on him. Unless he wises up---one and done---a Carter and a Bush One to the letter.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

If anyone is truly concerned about economics and jobs for america it is likely anyone paying attention would NEVER vote republican again. Since Watergate the repub party has been a lot about high crimes. Iran-Contra illegal sale of weapons under Reagan-Bush is one more example.

If you study the facts you likely would not vote republican for several decades.

Study these facts and you will understand my position. Repubs are not repubs. They became radical right wing in 1980 and never looked back. All the while ripping apart our economy and watching millions upon millions of jobs go abroad.

The Global Economy and Reagnomics are absolute failures for the USA!!!

This is what I mean:
1. The Reagan/ Bush Savings and Loan Heist http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

1. The Bush/Cheney Wall Street Bank Fraud on Consumers http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

2. What did Bush and Henry Paulson do with the $700 billion of bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

3. Why did GW Bush Lie About Social Security?( This would cost taxpayers $4 trillion,place taxpayers insurance money at risk and wreck the economy) http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0505orr.html

4. Still A Bad Idea – Bush Tax Cuts - The ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy at the expense of the middle class http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

5. The "tea parties" BTW are part of the wreckanomics program funded by the Koch Brothers... well known oil billionaires. These thinkers back a tax payers bill of rights which is another scheme to reward the upper 1% which is designed to wreck local and state governments: AKA The Other ENTITLEMENT Program for the Wealthy http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0705rebne.html

The Tea Party is an effort to appear to the public that republicans have changed or are some grass roots organization looking for change. WRONG AGAIN. The ultra wing is still ruling the repub party behind the scenes. Nothing new about it. It's know as deception.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

BUSHCO BANK FIASCO

The beginning banks, the first nine, the big banks, they all got their money one day after a meeting with Henry Paulson, in which he told them, “You’re taking this money.” But after that, the process was much more convoluted. And some banks lobbied for the money.

Other banks didn’t lobby for the money but were told they were taking it. It all—what we basically concluded early on, that there was really no plan to this at all. While Treasury said that the purpose was to get credit flowing back into the system, the fact of the matter is, the way they went about this made no sense at all.

JAMES STEELE: Paulson actually called that meeting. He called the heads of those banks the night before and said, “I want you here tomorrow in Washington.” He was very vague as to what the purpose of the meeting was. But once they got there, he told them, “You are taking money. We are going to buy stock in your banks. And we need to get this economy going again.”

Some bankers objected, saying by accepting this money it would look like they were weak. Others simply said they didn’t need it.

The fact of the matter is, one of the things we concluded very early on in this whole process is that while Treasury was trying to create the image that there was widespread weakness in these banks—and then there was a credit freeze, there’s no doubt about that—the way they went about this, just throwing the money out there in hopes that that would get the economy going, is not really what this was all about.

There were just a handful of institutions that were terribly weakened. AIG the insurer, Bank of America, Citigroup, those three were clearly in very weakened form. So, many of the other big banks were not.

AMY GOODMAN: Don Barlett, this meeting of the big nine, with Vikram Pandit of Citigroup, Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan Chase, Kenneth Lewis of Bank of America, Richard Kovacevich of Wells Fargo, John Thain of Merrill Lynch, John Mack of Morgan Stanley, Lloyd Blankfein, who succeeded Paulson as head of Goldman Sachs, Robert Kelly of the Bank of New York Mellon and Ronald Logue of State Street Bank, went to the secretary’s conference room. It was even difficult to find this information out. But what did he lay out for them there? And how does Paulson, who was former head of one of these banks, fit into it, as well?

DONALD BARLETT: Well, reduced to its simplest terms, he laid in front of them, each of them, a sheet of paper and saying, “Write on this the amount of money you’re going to take, and you are going to take it. Otherwise,” the implication was, “regulators will be looking at you and finding something wrong there. This is one of those areas in which you have no choice. By the end of the day, you will sign that you’re taking this amount of money. You know, call your boards, do whatever you need to do, but you will take the money.”

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Repubs scream out tax cuts yet Jeb Bush, George Bush Sr., and his son Neil Bush have all been implicated in the Savings and Loan Scandal, which cost American tax payers over $1.4 TRILLION dollars (note that this is about one quarter of our national debt).

Repubs scream out tax cuts yet Jeb Bush defaulted on a $4.56 million loan from Broward Federal Savings in Sunrise, Florida. After federal regulators closed the S&L, the office building that Jeb used the $4.56 million to finance was reappraised by the regulators at $500,000, which Bush and his partners paid. The taxpayers had to pay back the remaining 4 million plus dollars.

Repubs scream out tax cuts yet Neil Bush was the most widely targeted member of the Bush family by the press in the S&L scandal. Neil became director of Silverado Savings and Loan at the age of 30 in 1985. Three years later the institution was belly up at a cost of $1.6 billion to tax payers to bail out.

Repubs have never cut taxes NOR big government spending.

Repubs cannot live without big government tax dollars to bail out corporate america yet they spread the same old lies about wanting tax cuts and smaller government. What a load of crap!

In essence repubs are full of crap.... face it!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Cannot remember in my lifetime that a president walked into a huge pile of corruption such that the Wall Street banks were pulling off that sank this economy into disaster.

It's is odd that republicans go to any length to deny their choices Reagan/Bush/Bush/Cheney have taken our country down the economic tubes by way of war for oil,the savings and loan heist and the Wall Street bank fraudulent activity.

Repubs scream tax cuts then force taxpayers to bail out mismanaged financial institutions,GM,Chrysler etc etc etc.

Repubs scream tax cuts then march off to war for oil aka trillion dollar war for oil subsidies

Repubs scream tax cuts yet they won't leave the big government payroll with socialized medical insurance.

Repubs scream out tax cuts yet the country has lost millions upon millions of jobs under Reagan,Bush and Bush = tax cuts do not create new industry nor new jobs.

Show me how tax cuts saved millions upon millions of jobs from going abroad under the Repub Global Economy scenario. Seems like the USA contribution was the exporting of millions upon millions upon millions of USA jobs.

Explain to me how a country shipping tons and tons and tons of jobs abroad keeps america employed in such a fashion that the nations ability to generate new wealth is not curtailed?

How does anyone expect a president to fix a pile of fraud in two years? Have we lost all sense of reality?

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

The health care bill doesn't make health care a universal right - expanding Medicare or a similar federal program funded with taxes would be more in that direction.

And, if a major corporation seeks major funding from the government, don't you think the government should have input on how it spends the money?

Just to be nice, the constitutional question is what gives the federal government the right to require that all Americans buy health insurance.

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

The latest Gallup has obama at 44%.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

Fred's right. The lamestream media actually IS doing a fairly good job with damage control for Obama. I could not agree more. The Anointed One nose-dived hard and fast from about 69% to 47% the first year, but the NBC's and CNN's of this great nation were able to stop the bleeding--for now. This won't be the case in a year, a can assure you.