Letters to the Editor

Have, have-not?

June 6, 2010

To the editor:

On May 21, Mr. Crabtree wrote a letter to the Public Forum titled “Have-nots hurting.” I’ve read it several times and don’t understand what is a have and a have-not?

Is it just money? Is it your health? Is it your family? Is it a roof over your head? Is it food in the refrigerator? Is it the job you have?

I don’t have a million dollars in the bank. I do have my health. I have a wife of 36 years, three children and four grandchildren. I have a home that we saved several years to buy. I have food in my refrigerator. I have a job that I work hard at.

Am I a have or a have-not?

I know several young families that have much less (in the bank) than me, and I wouldn’t in my wildest dreams consider calling them have-nots. They are young people that wake up every morning trying to better themselves and their family and are willing to work hard for it.

Jerry Martin,

Lawrence

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Another letter with no discernible point.

The simple fact is that the wealth gap in this country has widened considerably, thanks to the Reagan Revolution. Which means that despite the hard work of millions of Americans, they're getting less and less for that hard work. And more and more of them are definitely becoming have-nots through no fault of their own, even if Mr. Martin isn't one of them.

Darrell Lea 4 years, 6 months ago

Jerry - a bit of research and you wouldn't have had to write to the paper:

From the iMac desktop dictionary -

have |hav| verb ( has |haz; (h)əz|; past had |had; (h)əd|) [ trans. ]

noun ( the haves) informal

"people with plenty of money and possessions : an increasing gap between the haves and have-nots"

have-nots plural noun (usu. the have-nots) informal

"economically disadvantaged people : lack of access to information will perpetuate the division between the haves and have-nots."

I'm very glad for you that you were able to list your proud accomplishments in a public forum. Keep it up. I'd say you're one of the "haves"

George Lippencott 4 years, 6 months ago

Haves??

50K? 100K? 150K? 250K?

New York or Kansas?

Have nots <50K? <20K? <10K?

Do we count public assistance or not?

Seems to be very imprecise!

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

"Haves" = anyone who is willing to work for a living and save up for things they want.

"Have nots" = the rest who depend and demand the gimmie-ment feed, clothe and support them. "Haves" need to take care of the "Have nots"....that's the obama way.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Another possibility:

Have's - those who are lucky enough to be born into circumstances which make their success more likely.

Have not's - those who aren't so lucky.

Both versions have some truth to them, I think.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

Another possibility:

Have not's - those who aren't so lucky.

Both versions have some truth to them, I think.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

That is hate speech sir. We do not use the 'r' word anymore...it's almost equivalent to calling an African-American the 'n' word. Your comment should read:

"Great letter if you are developmentally challenged...."

Please be more respectful, accepting and tolerant in the future. No more hate speech please. Thank you.

BrianR 4 years, 6 months ago

Probably a manageable combination of all of these things.