Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Family members looking for 13-year-old boy

June 4, 2010

On May 29, family members reported to police that 13-year-old Stevie Drake, Lawrence, had run away from home. Stevie's mother says she's not seen him since.

Family members are asking for help finding a 13-year-old Lawrence boy who ran away last week from his mother’s North Lawrence home.

Shirley Morriss said her son, Stevie Drake, who will be a South Junior High School eighth-grader this fall, last was seen about 2 p.m. May 29. He left the house without permission after she told him that he could not go swimming, Morriss said.

Sgt. Bill Cory, a Lawrence police spokesman, said Morriss filed a missing person’s report on May 29. Cory said officers have checked places where family members said Stevie could be.

Morriss has not see or heard from him since. Family members have posted fliers around Lawrence and created a Facebook page “Please Help Find Stevie Drake,” which had 365 members early Friday afternoon.

Morriss said Stevie is about 5-foot-2, weighs 110 pounds with buzzed light-brown hair and brown eyes. Morriss is asking anyone who sees Stevie to call police at 832-7509.

Comments

Finn12 4 years, 6 months ago

Man oh man I hope someone locates him soon. What a scary ordeal - prayers for the family as they continue to search, and for the boy that he will be found safe. Will keep my eyes open.

Clark Coan 4 years, 6 months ago

It's common for youths that age to run away:

How many children are reported missing each year?

The U.S. Department of Justice reports

* 797,500 children (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.

* 203,900 children were the victims of family abductions.

* 58,200 children were the victims of non-family abductions.

* 115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. (These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child

mom_of_three 4 years, 6 months ago

Suuurrrre it is, Quivira, but he's been gone for almost a week, and no sight or sound from him. Not sure how normal that is...

mom_of_three 4 years, 6 months ago

mom_of_three 4 years, 6 months ago

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

why no amber alert? use your resources

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

why no amber alert? use your resources

somebodynew 4 years, 6 months ago

To issue an amber alert there has to be some sign that the child was taken improperly. A voluntary "run away" does not qualify for one.

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

OK that makes sense... sorry. Hopefully he will show up somewhere... but at this point it has been a few days... a "runaway" kid.. 8th grader with no money for food etc, I would think maybe he could be considered taken improperly at this point. I would think by now his anger of not going to the pool would have wore off and he would be back home.... Should be a way of spreading the word other than newspaper...... Again hopefully he shows up my prayers are with the family at a hard time im sure....

Erin Graham 4 years, 6 months ago

I just posted this on my facebook. nudge nudge Social networking sites are a Great way to get the word out about this, esp if you've got lots of friends/family/coworkers in the area- who knows who might see this then be able to identify him and get him home safely b/c they were alerted to the article from Your profile!

I hope they find him soon!

Erin Graham 4 years, 6 months ago

I missed the paragraph on the facebook page they've created. Join it! 'Invite' everyone you know in the area!

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

no one, you're right, I hate it when people overshare...

however I bet a lot of people care about a missing child.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

beo, when was the last time you took a dump? I missed the last couple in my 'log book'.....

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 6 months ago

A kid that age can stay "underground" for a long time in Lawrence. Unfortunately there are people who will let him stay with them (usually with a group of friends) and never once ask about the parents and whether or not they have been in contact. Hopefully people who might be letting him stay will contact either his parents or the authorities.

ksprincess 4 years, 6 months ago

What is going on at home that this 13yr old child has to run away because he can't go to the pool????? Just sounds odd to me like there is more to the story. I hope he is safe we will keep him in our prayers

deboutonner 4 years, 6 months ago

nothing has to be going on at home for a kid to run away because they cant go swimming.

Whats odd is that he hasn't been home since.

luv2raft 4 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. He probably just got angry and stomped off, which is perfectly normal for a kid his age.

Praying for him & his family.

xratedsgirl 4 years, 6 months ago

i dont know the family but i dont think that it is fair to say "what is going on at home" i was a run away and i had a good home,my parents were good, i was the one with the issue's not my family.so i think until you know the facts you should not slamm the family.they are going through something that is very tuff right now, i think it is funny that everyone is so quick to place blame.maybe finding the child is the best idea not placing blame that is what we have child protective services for and if there is something worth checking out they will.

bender 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes, it could be true, it could also be false. Unless you know the situation it is just pointless speculation that serves absolutely no purpose at all.

Tamaralaug 4 years, 6 months ago

I posted it on my facebook. I hope they find him soon!

Danimal 4 years, 6 months ago

Scary stuff, I hope they find him soon. I don't know a lot of 13 y.o. kids that can survive on their own for a week.

Belinda Rehmer 4 years, 6 months ago

My prayers for the parents and family. My experience is that of Deb Engstrom. Too many people don't ask, and don't care. Will "protect" the child and even "hide" them. Not usually people who actually have his/her best welfare in mind. Usually those are the one's who are introducing the ugly side of life to the child. So, I am praying for this boy and his family. I expect he is probably traveling between 2 or 3 homes living a life his family would never dream for him. At this point he's feeling like he is caught up in something he can't easily get out of. Because a 13 yr old can't see anything but the present, he probably feels he can't go home, because his parents surely hate him now. I also doubt seriously a 13 yr old is reading LJWorld blogs, but who ever is harboring Stevie, please call his parents, or better yet, take him home. Stevie, Your parents love you and obviously care or they wouldn't be trying so hard to find you. I don't know you or your parents, but I have lived this situation, and you can work through this.

ksprincess 4 years, 6 months ago

Xratedsgirl- I was not placing blam just wondering what is going through the kids head....I have children and know that neither one of them would run away because they could not go to the pool..

townie 4 years, 6 months ago

This is Stevie's Aunt and I would like to thank everyone for their continued prayers and support! Stevie is a wonderful, amazing and caring kid. Yes he ran away at first but we fear he has been abducted. It is very unlike him to not contact his mother or his father by now. If anyone would like to know just what an amazing child he is please join the group on Facebook (PLEASE HELP FIND STEVIE DRAKE). You will see that he is loved and missed. STEVIE I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH AND PRAY FOR YOUR SAFE RETURN BUBBA!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

you sound like an ignorant child. Parents do things all the time for the good of the child that the child does not understand. Why should these parents have given in to every little thing the child wants or risk sending him running? That leads to a spoiled rotten child, which you sound a lot like; one who used to run away and get what he wanted out of it.

We can all speculate all day long about what his problems are, or what his parents do or don't do to him. Nobody knows but those closest to the family.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

my heart just broke...I hope you find him soon

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

^ see if the family is fearing he has been abducted now....... as I would assume (but pray not).... why cant they issue an amber alert now? I think it would help in finding this young boy...... He cant be hiding this well on his own at this age I wouldnt think.

liberallibrarian 4 years, 6 months ago

This should be on the front page. I found out about this on Facebook and then had to seek it out on the LJW website. The word needs to get out so people are aware. Get his face out there- seems like "Golf: Game or Sport?" should rank a little lower on the LJW priority list.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

It's on the front page right now, sixth from the top. It was at the top of our website earlier. We'll continue to monitor the situation and update accordingly.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

Andrea Hoag 4 years, 6 months ago

I really hope the paper edition of the LJW hits this story hard tomorrow morning with a front page story and HUGE PHOTO.

Kris Craven 4 years, 6 months ago

Agreed LL - Please get this front and center on the homepage if this is suspected as an abduction. I wonder if they will consider an amber alert - or if that is only for a short window of time after they gone?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

Amber Alerts are only issued when abduction is expected. When someone runs away, that's not eligible for an Amber Alert. We certainly do want to do what we can to get this boy home to his family.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

when you're out on your own paying the bills and raising kids.. you can let yours do what they want. we'll see how that treats you.

workinghard 4 years, 6 months ago

So you never tell your kids no? May she couldn't afford it.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

How about regardless of how old you are, you still act like a spoiled child. your post above directed at the family was cold and juvenile. If you do have children, they surely aren't more than a year or two and you apparently haven't had a chance to really ruin their lives yet. Your last sentence comes off as a poor attempt at intimidation. I'm not scared of snot nosed kids like you; I've been around the block to see through your arrogance and ignorance.

workinghard 4 years, 6 months ago

LPD needs to track this poster down, comments seem odd plus first time posting, could just have information as to Stevie's whereabouts. Either that or one spoiled kid.

keepingfingerscrossed 4 years, 6 months ago

I am so sorry I hope he is found soon. Let God be with you and your family.

aletheia 4 years, 6 months ago

How freaking scary to have your child gone this long. I have a 13-year old of my own and can't imagine not knowing where he's at for six hours -- let alone six days. My heart goes out to this family! Many prayers are being said for his safe return.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 6 months ago

Probably couldn't wait to get out of north Lawrence. I don't blame him.

worriedandconcernedmom 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you to everyone for your concern and support. Our search will continue until Stevie is found. Prayers are greatly appreciated as well as watchful eyes looking out for my beloved son. Once again, don't hesitate to contact the Lawrence Police Department with ANY information you may have (785-832-7509). God Bless You All--Stevie's Heartsick Mom

loiria 4 years, 6 months ago

My prayers go out to you and your family. As a mom myself I understand. Right now you need to stay around your support system that you have going for you. I hope he's found and that he's safe. I am the parent to two children one deceased but I can't imagine not knowing where my baby was. We'll keep praying.

JBurtin 4 years, 6 months ago

I just posted this link with an explanation as my status on Facebook.

I was also once an angry teenager that ran away from home for a short while. I wised up within a day, but I also knew a girl that found an adult that was willing to harbor her for a few days when she ran away. She eventually got worn out from all of the hiding and let everyone know where she was.

Hopefully that is the case here worriedandconcernedmom. I hope he finds his way home soon and you give him a hug that he'll never forget.......then repeat as often as possible.

bejuba 4 years, 6 months ago

Does he have a cell phone? Maybe the carrier can check to see if they are picking up any pings from his phone.

jjt 4 years, 6 months ago

As of Saturday 08.00 what is the up to date situation? I can mention on my Radio show later this morning and will unless asked not to.

costello 4 years, 6 months ago

I checked in this morning hoping for an update. Any news?

I have a kid adopted as a teen from foster care who has emotional and behavior problems. My experience is like that mentioned by several other posters here. It's astonishing how many adults - even basically good, well-intended ones - will harbor someone else's minor child, believing whatever story they're told without checking.

I don't know Stevie, so I don't know if this applies to him, but based on my experience with my son who ran several times (once because I wouldn't let him go to the pool, actually) - please please please: if a kid shows up asking you for a place to stay because his "parents kicked him out," don't just keep him without asking more questions. If you can't talk to the parents for some reason (a few times my son refused to give people his last name or my number and they kept him anyway), contact the police or SRS.

I would sit at home, worried sick, wondering where my son was and if he was safe, while people were harboring him, apparently believing his story that I had kicked him out or he had no other place to go. Don't do that to another parent.

costello 4 years, 6 months ago

"I would harbor a child, keeping him safe, if he needed a sanity-inducing breathing space from a control-mongering parent."

Then you're part of the problem.

I almost wish you would have taken my kid in when he was a minor. He'd lie to your face to get your pity, destroy your property, screw your daughter, get in a fist fight with your son, and steal anything not nailed down on the way out. Most people who tried to give him some "sanity-induced breathing space" ended up regretting it - and not because of anything I did.

Seriously-- be careful who you take into your home. The fantasy that kids are all innocent victim of cruel parents is just that - fantasy.

"You deserve to worry if you don't allow the child some peace."

I honestly don't know how to respond to a statement so cruel. You must not be a parent.

"It really reflects poorly on you when you have a child who runs away from home three times."

Couldn't have been the thirteen years bouncing between bio family and the foster care system? Must be my fault?

"Why couldn't he go swiming?"

Court order. He was on house arrest at the time. Apparently the court was being too controlling.

"Again, no peace for the child at home."

The only place my kid finds any peace is in my home, but thanks for your concern.

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 6 months ago

Yikes! I hope you're being facetious. Some kids with emotional/behavioral disorders actively resist any kind of structure -- sometimes with physical acts of aggression and other times by running away. My son ran away from school and home multiple times before being placed in a secure facility from which he also ran away. I don't think this reflects poorly on me at all. I don't know if any of this pertains to Stevie, but it certainly shouldn't be a reflection on his parents. Let's stop being critical and help bring him home safely.

headdoctor 4 years, 6 months ago

Machiavelli_mania, your posts on this thread speak volumes.......about you. It is not, nor would it ever be YOUR responsibility to make decisions about someone's child. You can take the moral high ground all you want or get on your twisted version of a soap box all you want. Harboring a child could very easily be turned into a penitentiary offense and I can assure you if it was my child, regardless of circumstances, that would be the direction I would push for. At the very least you would be paying dearly for many years to come in a civil matter. Yes the system is not perfect. If you were even half the parent you would like people to believe, you know that harboring a child is NOT the best choice for all concerned. Taking swipes at other posters based on your pet peeves or from perhaps the perspectives of your own reformed history is all sorts of wrong. It is painfully obvious that you have no clue about teenagers and their various mental states. One could very easily draw the conclusion that you can't or wont take care of your own business so it is more comfort or entertaining for you to try to run other peoples.

hannahss 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I have had the same experiences. There are far too many people who will hide a child, move them, believe anything bad about the parents, or just not care. Even a well loved and cared for child can get caught up in this kind of situation, but when your child has an emotional disturbance it is even more frightening. People who think they are some kind of hero can destroy a family.

corey872 4 years, 6 months ago

First, best wishes for a safe and speedy return home.

On the other side, I don't know many teens who can stay 'unplugged' for more than a few minutes. Hopefully someone is looking at cell phone, text, twitter, facebook, any other hobbies/newsgroups or blogs he might frequent.

worriedandconcernedmom 4 years, 6 months ago

Please do mention my son on your radio show. Local channel 6 news and KCTV 5 news both gave coverage yesterday evening to the search for Stevie. Local law enforcement has increased their search efforts. As of now there is nothing new to report. We continue to monitor facebook and any other areas for clues to his whereabouts. Thank you again, everyone, for your efforts, concerns, and prayers.

grandmaof6 4 years, 6 months ago

WHAT?????????Why not mention him you should do whatever is needed to find him. Contact every newspaper, radio station , tv station. You never know who might read or see his picture. This doesn't sound right to me??? If it was my child I would be contacting everybody I could think of. Keep his face and his story out there where people can keep it fresh in their memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grandmaof6 4 years, 6 months ago

I am so sorry I read the post wrong. Thought it said do not mention my son. My apologies. I feel bad. Glad you want the info out there. Again sorry for my stupid post!!

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

With all of the news coverage, one might assume he is being helped by friends and adults may not be aware of it. Teenage boys eat a lot. If you child knows Stevie, are you going through more food than usual? Do you have a tent, check if it is still there. Maybe he is camping out somewhere and someone is bringing food. Do you work during the day and your child is home alone? Make a surprise visit home and check every room or closet. You would be surprised how easily your kid could hid someone in your house and you not know it. Wondering if he has friends in Topeka since his dad lives there.

smilealot 4 years, 6 months ago

Stevie was a neighbor of mine and a good friend to my son. I am praying for him to make it home safely! I can't see him not contacting mom or dad after this much time. Shirley...my prayers are with you. I know home life was good..it's not your fault sweety. please get a hold of me, if I can help in any way. Love, Amy F

AUNTB 4 years, 6 months ago

Stevie is a good kid. I know that it is hard for the whole family. We are all worried about you Stevie. If you are reading these messages please call someone and let them know that you doing OK. Bubbers we all love and mess you we need you to come home. Stevie your family is very worried about you . Stevie please get a hold of someone so we know that you are OK. I love you STEVIE you know that I'm here for you and your little brother. please make contact with someone. You have my numbers. I will be praying for you. Stevie please some how make contact with someone that you can trust so that we can know that your safe and OK. With lots of love. WE ALL LOVE YOU VERY MUCH YOUR NOT A BAD KID THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT HAS TO BE WORKED OUT AND I'M HERE FOR YOU AND ANDY. WE MESS YOU VERY MUCH AND LOVE YOU.

KansasPerson 4 years, 6 months ago

Multi, I'm pretty sure whats_going_on was NOT talking about Stevie or any other serious topic when he/she mentioned "oversharing." I read it as a response to beobachter's odd comment about social network status updates. (Seriously beo, I've been on Facebook for nearly 3 years and Twitter over a year, and I've never seen anyone post statuses referring to any of the things you mentioned. Either you're not on there yourself, or you have friends who post inane stuff!)

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah, my first comment was about those who do overshare about stupid things (what they are eating, doing, and talking about every 5 seconds) and my second comment was saying that even though people don't care about THOSE silly things, people will probably care about trying to find a missing kid.

sweetiepie 4 years, 6 months ago

Has this boy been found? There is nothing on the front page of today's paper (only a little piece on the front page of Section B) and nothing easily available on the JW web site. This young man may have left home because he was angry, but that doesn't mean someone didn't grab him after that. Lots of kids stomp out of the house mad, but that doesn't mean that they are running away. He has been gone too long for people to still be saying "oh, he's just a runaway." There needs to be an amber alert and there needs to be lots more local coverage than the JW is providing. This is SERIOUS.

sweetiepie 4 years, 6 months ago

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree, time for the KBI to be called in, the search needs to go farther than local. Why waste valuable time.

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

Did he have unsupervised internet access? Although I'm sure they thought of that already.

Katara 4 years, 6 months ago

I think this was asked before but I didn't see the answer. Does he have a cell phone? If so, can the mom go online & check the calls on online billing itemization to see if any have been made? And if so, to who?

Also some cell companies (I know AT&T has this service but I don't know if others do) have a locator service with GPS. Perhaps the mom can have that added & track the boy down that way? If he has the cell phone on, it should tell his whereabouts.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Obviously this kid has not yet been found. Why hasn't his face been splashed everywhere by the media? The longer the delay, the fewer chances of finding him! Someone in town has surely seen him but doesn't know he is the missing person. Come on World Company, get it together. You have a sister station in Topeka and I'm sure the KC stations would be willing to pick it up. What are you waiting for!

Tammie Bryant 4 years, 6 months ago

RonBurgandy 4 years, 6 months ago

I am guessing South Jr. High has an auto-dialer system...maybe the school administration could use that to contact his classmates' families to see if they have information. Prayers for his quick and safe return...

ksprincess 4 years, 6 months ago

I have to say the auto dialer system would be great....maybe that sould be forwarded to worriedandconcernedmom

Andrea Hoag 4 years, 6 months ago

It is time for the LJW to make this a front page story with a giant photograph of this mother's son in order to get his face in front of as many people as possible. It's just a damn shame this hasn't happened already. Garden shows are GREAT - we all love gardens. But this sounds like it could be a life or death situation. Based upon looking carefully at the FB page, there is a mention of the boy's mother being involved in a "bitter custody dispute" over Stevie. I think this is one of those moments when everyone needs to let bygones be bygones, let whatever past issues have occurred drop and work together to find the child. (If, for example, he is with the father, I bet mom would be plenty relieved to know he is with someone who loves him and not want any more trouble) I don't know these folks, but I bet they must be beside themselves by now. Anyone who has ever lost a child in a supermarket for 5 minutes knows this sense of panic - and here it's been days. There needs to be a search plan in place. Flyers could be handed out EVERYWHERE in Lawrence; the city pool and kid hang-outs should be saturated with hand bills. A fund should be set up ASAP for reward money. Get on the phone and call every TV station you can before the trail goes cold. First though, LJW, do your job! Everyone reading this should call and complain that this is NOT a front page story. I know I will!

sweetiepie 4 years, 6 months ago

frustratednks (anonymous) says… I wonder if they know more than they are saying? Otherwise there would be more posts on it? Just wondering?

I hadn't thought of this, but maybe that's the problem. Obviously, it's no longer "news" at the Journal World.

whatdoyouthink 4 years, 6 months ago

I would like to donate money for the search efforts of this child. Is anything set up? I'm from out of the area, so not for sure how this would work.

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

So, we bought the LJW paper this morning and NO mention of this. Why is it not on the FRONT PAGE???? Obviously the child is still missing - the facebook page is full of posts from the family and friends working to put out fliers, etc. today. Were they running out of space in todays "full of nothing" issue where they were unable to print a huge picture of this child? Plenty of huge pictures in the freaking home and garden section. Is there ANYTHING more important, in todays paper - I mean, really? What a horrible thing to have happen to this family, as we ALL KNOW the best way to find missing children is through the MEDIA. Way to show your local support LJW.

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

LJW - Would it kill you to post his picture on the front of this website? For crying out loud - I just searched on his name, searched on "missing boy" - not even found on your search section! This is ridiculous.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Checked www.cjonline.com (Topeka's Capitol Journal) and there was no mention of this story. I find that just a tad odd since the boy's father lives in Topeka. Now beginning to wonder if there is more to this story than we are privy to, because I cannot believe the LJW would be silent unless it's for the boy's safety.

rosierainbow 4 years, 6 months ago

I cannot believe that ljw and sunflower news are not making this story TOP priority. I am outraged that a child can go missing in our community and all news media blow it off like this. what the hell is going on???!!!!

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

Go to the facebook page - the family is constantly updating it, thanking people for prayers, etc. He has NOT been found. This is making me so angry (lack of local media coverage), I can hardly believe it.

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

Does he have any older acquaintances with a car that have gone on a road trip of any sort that might have taken him along?

ridgwaybryce 4 years, 6 months ago

great kid! 14 go to west but i know him. jj14 u r very right! media is basically doing nothing! i pray for him every night

gocheifs 4 years, 6 months ago

You would think that people would be able to put there petty issues aside, but unfortunately that is not the case here. I know both sides well. The fighting is never ending. Today, the dad's family had to go to the police just to get permission for the father to come to his own son's prayer vigil out of concern the mother would have him arrested by the police like she has so many times in the past for petty issues that the courts keep having to throw out. Just this week, he was arrested for driving by her house to get to his boss's house to pick up his paycheck who lives on the same street. The next morning it was thrown out. You would think she would stop wasting the police departments time like this so they could be searching for her son. Not to mention she filed the missing persons report on May 29th, but then went to Lone Star Lake the next day with her boyfriend. What worried and concerned mother does that. The dad has had many issues of his own, but he and his family are frantic at this point and are not being given any information by the mother or the police department. They only keep treating him and his family as suspects with constant house searches that they have been happy to allow. People keep asking where the dad is, but he can't call her without getting into trouble. So many of us who really know this situation are getting tired about the false portrayal being put out there. Stevie did NOT run away because he couldn't go to the pool. His reasons are real. He's a kid put in the middle with no way out. Even with what is going on now, the fighting continues. Stevie, we love you and pray for you to be safe. Please know so many of us are on your side only.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

wow. : This is starting to sound like something one would see on vile Nancy Grace's show.

I hope everything turns out well, what a terrible situation.

xratedsgirl 4 years, 6 months ago

wow i was wandering why the fathers side was never mentioned, and i thought some things did not sound right,never the less i hope that stevie finds his way to some trusted adult he is old enough to have his side heard by a court..stevie find someone you can trust to hear and listen to you, it sounds like there are alot of ppl that love you even though things are not that great right now,,i can totally understand,why a teen would feel like getting away.and my heart breaks,there is two sides to every story then somewhere in that is the trueth,everyone needs to united for stevie,put the crap aside and listen to you kid. he is saying something right now.with out even being there and he is still not heard.

xratedsgirl 4 years, 6 months ago

xratedsgirl 4 years, 6 months ago

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally, the truth? Maybe the kid ran away for a reason.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

not even a mention on 6news tonight, either.

so, Jonathan, is there a reason for your silence down there at World Co., or is this just "old news" now? [huff]

whatever the biz between mom and dad, Stevie is a lost boy with buzz-cut brown hair, and he's thirteen years old!

whatever is between mom and dad doesn't change that he's been missing for over a week, and he's in danger now. sadly, mom might've filed the missing person report and SOP is that police do about nuthin for the first 48-hours. sometimes going off to relax by the lake i in fact the best thing a mom could do, and not be held hostage by a kid's antics.

don't be so hastey to judge the mom, dad may have made plenty of threats, ay have been expert at domestic violence done in private so he wouldn't be charged, it wouldn't be documented.
yes there are women who play stunts to harrass an ex-husband.

I'd rather believe her, since the majority of women in that situation have very good reasons for trying hard to protect themselves from the ex-spouses.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

Just about the time this kid was missing. I phoned in to dispatch about 3 AM that I saw 3, 11 or 12 year old boys crossing south park and entering the alleyway behind the community center late at night. I walked downtown and came back by about 30 to 40 minuites later and never saw a cop car checking this out. The dispatcher said "hello" like it was their home phone and then put me on hold. I thought I had the wrong number at first. One of the boys could have been him. Don't what night it was, I would have to go online to get my phone records.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

One of the 3 boys was fat and stocky, another was tall and slim. The third kid was less noticed because he was medium built. These young boys were roaming the alley's at 3AM downtown, so I call dispatch to have them checked out for their own safety. There are a lot of sex offender types living on the streets and they are out late at night downtown.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

trufoodie 4 years, 6 months ago

why isn't Stevie's picture in the paper every day til he is found?

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

not enough political drama to be on the front page. ugh. :(

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

For the record, I have seen Child Protective Services remove children when separated parents would not stop bickering and involved authorities too much. There is no reason to "harbor" him, just get SRS involved. Not only is the child removed, they have to pay support to SRS. This gives them a reality check and they'll think twice once they get him back.

formerlawres 4 years, 6 months ago

whatdoyouthink, I sent you a private message. Please check it. Thank you very much!

liberallibrarian 4 years, 6 months ago

liberallibrarian 4 years, 6 months ago

It seems that since this is being considered a "runaway situation" it's not being taken as seriously by the media. It shouldn't matter! He is a 13 year old child!! Kids make irrational decisions- they runaway when they want to go to the pool. His family needs everyone's help- and could really use more help from the local paper and news. I find the lack of coverage appalling.

liberallibrarian 4 years, 6 months ago

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

For those placing blame and wanting to call in SRS you are so off base. Kids to make irrational choices but that is not the parents fault that is human nature. I know this family and the mother is awesome with her kids. For the one above who asked "Why couldn't he go to the pool?" Does it matter why he couldn't go? I don't know about your house but in mine when I tell my children no then that means no! end of story. I don't have to give them a reason they just need to know the answer is no. I post this story everyday on my Facebook. Bottom line is that Stevie needs to be found so some counseling can be introduced. Help him deal with the custody battle and hope that with this he can grow to be a positive adult. He is a great kid with a wonderful family. Don't be so quick to judge.

liberallibrarian 4 years, 6 months ago

Buggie, I couldn't agree more. None of it matters! Why couldn't he go to the pool? Who cares!? He's a child and he hasn't been home for over a week. That is all that matters! Family troubles or not, they love him and want him home- so, lets try to get the word out.

I didn't realize until this happened that Amber Alerts are issued only when the child has been abducted. I wish there were some other alert system in place for kids who run away but are under a certain age.

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

I think the Amber Alert needs to be activated. History states with Stevie he would only leave for a few hours or 24 hours before. Its been way too long. Come on Media, STEP IT UP! Stevie could have intended to be gone for the 24 hour time period and been hurt or abducted. Predators and kidnappers prey on kids who have any kind of home issues. They don't care between right and wrong they just want to get on the kids good side and agree with everything they are saying to get that child to go with them. I am really disappointed that this is not a regular article everyday in the LJW. I dont want this to be like Randy Leach and reading more about him 20 years later then the current time when the word could have gotten out more thus finding him. I hope they also have used the school phone system. That is a great idea and should be used.

twinetowngirl 4 years, 6 months ago

I got a phone call today from the school system about this and if you have any info to call the police.

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

Was not saying that SRS should be called, but pointing out that there are other ways to help a kid out other than "harboring" him and causing his family to go through this. Whoever is letting him stay with them thinks they are helping him, but this is not the way. Just trying to get them to stop and think. If it takes involving SRS to get him back, so be it. Personally I thought SRS automatically becomes involved when a child habitually runs away, so it may be a mute point but I may be wrong.

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

Is the LJW is staying away from this story because of rumored family details? NONE OF THIS MATTERS. A CHILD IS MISSING. Runaway, Abducted, Harbored - he is still a CHILD and he is MISSING. In order to find him, strangers need to be able to recognize him. Why can't they have his picture on their freaking website at the very least????? I feel like a broken record here - appalled at the LJW. APPALLED.

freighttrain221 4 years, 6 months ago

Last week's news items:

Local child goes missing - Story gets buried.

Lew Perkins has a treadmill in his basement - Front page headline in 72 point font.

I don't understand the priorities of this newspaper. Please start reporting real news!

meggers 4 years, 6 months ago

jj14,

There is a photo of the kid to the left of the article. It's been there all day. If you can't see it, maybe your computer isn't correctly displaying images.

trufoodie 4 years, 6 months ago

the photo and article are from June 4, nothing new since then

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

You have to search for the story then click on the article. Not to mention, yesterday I tried to search for the story and could not find it on your search function - not by his name or "missing boy". The only way to keep this story alive is to keep discussing it so it shows up on the "most discussed" tab. By the way - look at the facebook page created for Stevie Drake and read all of the things the family is doing - and other businesses all around the area are doing - even freenet wireless has his picture on their main sign-in page. I just find it assinine that you guys won't even post his picture on the front page of your website. I can understand not printing it in the paper day after day but your website? Hello?

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 6 months ago

I would go to each and every one of his friends' house. First, I would apologize that I'm going to ransack their house, but my son is missing. Then, I would proceed to search their house, every nook and cranny, leaving no stone untouched!

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

I just found out that a gentleman from LJW told the family that they aren't reporting more on Stevie because they believe one or both of the parents are not concerned enough and that he is a runaway. This tells our kids that if you have problems at home the simplest thing to do is run away. They paper wont put anything but a small article and the word will only be around a couple of days and they wont post an amber alert because you ran away. Holy crap. It doesn't matter why he is missing hes 13 and is MISSING!!!!!!! These parents and family members ARE CONCERNED and what arrogance you have LJW for stating these parents are not concerned. This is exactly why I will no longer take this paper but read it free online. I no longer give my money to The World Co. Freight you are so right Lew Perkins got more press than a missing local boy. How sad is our city when that happens.

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

Another sad issue is that tomorrow we will not see this blog/article. So many are upset with LJW that they will more than likely discontinue it like they have done to so many before.

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

We don't ever discontinue articles and we won't discontinue this one either.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 6 months ago

Cheeseburger, do you know the difference between a news article and a reader-submitted race-baiting blog posting?

jj14 4 years, 6 months ago

So the LJW says the parents are "not concerned" - yet there are flyers posted all over town put up by the family, a prayer vigil held yesterday by the family, facebook page created to his disappearance updated regularly? So WHAT if one of the parents is not concerned (which by all accounts is inaccurate). Again - this is about a missing child.

grandmaof6 4 years, 6 months ago

BOTH families are so very concerned! Yes there are problems with the parents but they both love their son and only want his safe return. They and their families are doing everything they can think of to find Stevie. I just wish people who don't know the families involved would not rush to judgement on either parent. They have no clue what these two people and their families are going through.

KansasPerson 4 years, 6 months ago

Geez, back up, people. We have only third-hand hearsay that the J-W said the parents are "not concerned" and that is not very reliable! Plus, I don't know why everyone is mad at the J-W for not issuing an Amber Alert. I am pretty sure that's the prerogative of Law Enforcement and that newspapers don't have that power.

rbwaa 4 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully if this stays on the 'most discussed' list more people will read it and be reminded that he is still missing. People have to continue making comments to do this.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

KansasPerson is correct. Amber alerts can only be initiated by a law inforcement agency. All the LJW can do is report the news, not create it.

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

KansasPerson. Read the Facebook site. That IS what they told the family members. I know these people and they are very concerned. Im not upset that LJW for not issuing a Amber Alert. That is not their job. I am upset at how they feel that this is not news. This needs to be updated every couple of days and should be on first page. This is now a hidden article that the only way to keep it up is to do it online. What about those who actually read the paper? They cant see this. It needs to be in print more than what they did.

nordicson 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree Buggie! When we as a community no longer support each other in times of need then we have forgotten how fragile life and its bonds can be. At least his picture should be for all to see and any updates reported in an attempt to help this family in their time of need. Do for those as you would want someone to do for you.