Letters to the Editor

Good fortune

June 3, 2010

To the editor:

Well what do you know. A bunch of rich, white, “respectable” members of the Kansas University community are apparently illegally making money hand over fist off the backs of our young student athletes. This scandal is not only an embarrassment to KU and the city of Lawrence, it’s a shameful reflection on how the almighty dollar rules everything.

It doesn’t matter that you have a job that pays well. You work for an outstanding university. You have a house. It’s probably a nice, big house. You have a car or two or three. You get to go on a vacation every year. You have health insurance. You don’t have to visit Health Care Access for your care. You’re not taking your kids to LINK for lunch. How sad that it’s never enough for you.

I am sure some of the student athletes who work hard and train every day have not had the good fortune of experiencing a life like yours. I guess the economic recession must really be felt over there in the Bauer Brook neighborhood.

Comments

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

So you think that rich conservatives never do anything wrong?

mr_right_wing 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to say it again.... liberally-oriented institution at work I'd put money on it -- none of those 'rich guys' are conservative; I think they have an unwritten rule against conservatives at the University of liberal indoctrination in Kansas

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice. a racist writes an article. Congratulations. Thanks Susan, I was so un-enlightened before you set me straight. Racist!

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

So where is this used equipment? When will it be put at the curbside for pickup. I need a treadmilll but really need a 5,000 square foot house to put it in. Anyone in the athletic department got a home that they might have had a few freebies thrown into during the buidling?

Perkins did not need to borrow equipment. KU has an athletic facility he could have used and did not. He could have bought equipment. He did not. So, he can call the situation blackmail or whatever, but he must have some memory problems if he cannot remember "three or four times". Hey, Lew , three is just after two and four is before five. How can you not recall,but remember the equipment was "loaned" to you?

barrypenders 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm just glad she didn't mention 'Chimps Playing Poker'. As long as LTE mention people by Light Skinned to diss, everything is cool.

Stimulus, Money Light Skinned Evil, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Way to go Susie, how perceptive! All men are evil. Especially the white ones from Kansas that have a job, some money, a nice house and nice car(s).

Hey begin60, you dissin my president?

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey begin60, you dissin my president?

Paul R Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

Somebodynew: Good point. 'begin60' seems quite perspicacious and in the know. If his/her allegations are true, he/she should man/woman up and turn all these folks in and testify at the trials. Power does corrupt; that's not a new concept. Those who know the facts need to bring them up somewhere but the LJW sandbox where, who knows who is talking about issues of concern. At least the LTE writer signed her name.

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

Whoa, begin60!!!! Way to trash an entire State and with "I've heard the rest of Kansas is way worse." tells me you haven't lived here or experienced all areas of the State. Sorry you had a bad experience, but lighten up.

begin60 3 years, 10 months ago

Susan well articulates the hypocrisy and greed that define the essence of power and bigotry in Lawrence(pretty much one and the same)---and I've heard the rest of Kansas is way worse. Any kindness I've met here is of the cruel "kiss to kill" variety--completely a matter of unconscious, fawning self-regard that totally hurts and disempowers other people. Soullessness personified.

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

And Susan, just why do you have to start with the race card?? You could have just said rich, "respectable" folks, but you had to throw in the "white" part. To tell you the truth, I have no clue what race some of these folks are, as I don't know them and haven't seen pictures of all of them. And it also doesn't matter to me - they are slime no matter what the shade. And I think if you really check, none of them live in the "Bauer Brook neighborhood". I could be wrong tho, cause like I say, I don't know them.

justforfun 3 years, 10 months ago

OK Susan that was just a silly LTE. Don't kid yourself these athletes of whom you speak get paid. Might not be in the form of a paycheck but, they get paid I promise you! The "Bauer Brook neighborhood" comment??? Oh you must be talking about Bill Self cause he just bought, finished and moved into Dave Freemans house.
Get over yourself.